Friedman:Sabres are looking for Goaltending Help

Brawndo

24 minutes ago, SabresBillsFan said:

Their defense ain’t that good either. Yes a great goalie helps but you need the players in front of him to pick up a man, tie up sticks and start bodying people in front of the net. They run around like crazy in their own zone!

When you watch tonight, pay close attention to how a turnover, bad pass or blocked shot etc. will trigger a rush and extended possession in our end. Then see how long it takes us to regain possession and get out of our end, assuming a goal isn't given up before that can happen.  Now compare how often we do that to the other guys and how easily they can exit their zone.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

When you watch tonight, pay close attention to how a turnover, bad pass or blocked shot etc. will trigger a rush and extended possession in our end. Then see how long it takes us to regain possession and get out of our end, assuming a goal isn't given up before that can happen.  Now compare how often we do that to the other guys and how easily they can exit their zone.

The "eye test" to me says that when you put Okposo and Girgensons on the same line as wingers, no matter who the center is they are the one line that can pin the opponent into their own zone and keep the puck there for some time.   I almost would like an experiment of putting a Center with Finishing ability (Tage?) between them and see if anything comes of it.  KO and Girgs keep the puck in the zone, battle along the boards, and Tage could hopefully get some chances in the center out of it.

• Like (+1) 3

44 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

and also, for those watching tonight, watch Anaheim's D. Do they body check? Move the man in front of their goaltender? (assuming the Sabres actually put someone there) Do they clear out the front of their net so their goaltender can see the shot? The Defense 101 stuff that the Sabres still are not doing 3 seasons +! You can have a top notch goaltender all you want, but if there is a guy in the slot unmarked, odds are it's going in the back of your net.

On 12/6/2021 at 7:15 PM, GASabresIUFAN said:

So how do you solve the attendance problem?  Winning or at the very least putting a product on the ice that has a chance of winning each night.   We can do that right now with some real goaltending.  

I disagree.  Because of outrageous box office dynamic pricing, even if they brought in an experienced NHL backup now, it wouldn't even move the needle in terms of attendance.  They are an entire season of "show me winning hockey" before the fans come back in droves.

Edited by LabattBlue
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

Just curious: whom do you send down to Rochester when Tokarski comes back?  I am leaning towards Dell.

2 hours ago, Taro T said:

Let's see how this weekend goes before making that decision.

UPL made a pretty good case tonight to get to stay up.  He actually looked like a big goalie, which he should, because he is.  

Presuming Dell gets tomorrow's start.  Will be interesting to see if they go back to trying to win a shootout without UPL in net.  If they do, could be a real long (or more accurately, a real short) night for him.

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

UPL made a pretty good case tonight to get to stay up.  He actually looked like a big goalie, which he should, because he is.  

Presuming Dell gets tomorrow's start.  Will be interesting to see if they go back to trying to win a shootout without UPL in net.  If they do, could be a real long (or more accurately, a real short) night for him.

Small sample size, but his save percentage is on par with a quality NHL starter. Encouraging?

That can change quickly. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, thewookie1 said:

UPL could end up like BInnington who has good NHL numbers but subpar AHL numbers for whatever reason.

Since Dell got called up, except for a couple of games where he reverted back, UPL has played well in Ra-cha-cha.  Have no idea what clicked for him, but he is actually playing large rather than getting too low which was causing him to give up a ton of shots over the shoulder which also was then causing him to over open down low resulting in even more goals.  

Maybe he's worked through whatever mental hangup he's had since the hip surgeries.  Way too early to say that for sure.  But at least he's showing they don't need to give him a bus ticket to Cincy & they might be able to get by on a single real goaltender this offseason rather than needing to find 2.

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Since Dell got called up, except for a couple of games where he reverted back, UPL has played well in Ra-cha-cha.  Have no idea what clicked for him, but he is actually playing large rather than getting too low which was causing him to give up a ton of shots over the shoulder which also was then causing him to over open down low resulting in even more goals.  

Maybe he's worked through whatever mental hangup he's had since the hip surgeries.  Way too early to say that for sure.  But at least he's showing they don't need to give him a bus ticket to Cincy & they might be able to get by on a single real goaltender this offseason rather than needing to find 2.

What last night's game demonstrates is that even when the other team has more talent, with good goaltending you can compete with the opposition. As you highlighted it is an imperative that the GM enters next season with another quality goalie who can keep this team competitive while its roster gets steadily bolstered. As you and others have consistently stated that having a major deficiency in goal undercuts what the organization is trying to accomplish in the rebuild. What should have happened last offseason needs to happen this next offseason. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, JohnC said:

A better and more impactful trade still needs to be made. A stopgap deal is inadequate for what this organization wants to accomplish. 

Sabres are the home of the JAGoalies. Send us your weak, your damaged, your never was and your cardboard cutouts.

KA must get a goalie next year to mentor and shelter UPL/Levi/Portillo.

They have the cap space to afford Price or Bob, so no one should be out of reach. I know some those contracts’ term is crazy but if they can convince a real goalie that they have turned a corner and need him to get over the hump, do it.

28 minutes ago, inkman said:

I can’t believe this thread is still going.  The trade happened.  

It's like when you were a kid opening up your presents and it's socks and underwear or clothes and you can't help but say "That's it?"  I think we were all hoping for more or better than Subban.

7 minutes ago, French Collection said:

Sabres are the home of the JAGoalies. Send us your weak, your damaged, your never was and your cardboard cutouts.

KA must get a goalie next year to mentor and shelter UPL/Levi/Portillo.

They have the cap space to afford Price or Bob, so no one should be out of reach. I know some those contracts’ term is crazy but if they can convince a real goalie that they have turned a corner and need him to get over the hump, do it.

I agree with the general sentiment. It's the same one that I have. However, where I have a slightly different take is that the GM doesn't have to take on a high contract or even a long term goalie this offseason to upgrade the position enough to uplift this team. He can get a good goalie who not only immediately upgrades the position but also helps the organization buy itself more time to deal with that critical position. Is our long term goalie already in the system? Maybe?  However, having a good bridge goalie helps this team in the short and long term. It's an issue that needed to be better addressed last offseason, and still needs to be addressed this offseason. 

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I agree with the general sentiment. It's the same one that I have. However, where I have a slightly different take is that the GM doesn't have to take on a high contract or even a long term goalie this offseason to upgrade the position enough to uplift this team. He can get a good goalie who not only immediately upgrades the position but also helps the organization buy itself more time to deal with that critical position. Is our long term goalie already in the system? Maybe?  However, having a good bridge goalie helps this team in the short and long term. It's an issue that needed to be better addressed last offseason, and still needs to be addressed this offseason. 

Agree.

I noted the cap space because it shouldn’t matter if it is a 1M contract or a 7M one, they can do it.

I would prefer no long term deals, two years sounds about right. 

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Scratch Bish off the list.  Great goalie.  I’m sorry his career has cone to an end.

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/nhl-dallas-stars-ben-bishop-career-ending-injury-1.6282802

That's too bad.  Hope he heals properly for a good life after hockey.

On 12/11/2021 at 10:55 AM, JohnC said:

I couldn't agree with this more. 

Price and Bob have huuuge contracts that you really don't need.

Find the goalie you want to grow with your young stars, you don't have to rush into anything right now.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Ducky said:

I couldn't agree with this more. 

Price and Bob have huuuge contracts that you really don't need.

Find the goalie you want to grow with your young stars, you don't have to rush into anything right now.

Yea I’ve always been (and probably always will be) highly allergic to giving goaltenders crazy huge contracts. Both in length and in cap hit.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.