Friedman:Sabres are looking for Goaltending Help

Brawndo

2 minutes ago, Stads said:

I don't understand all of this "needing goalie help" talk. We only gave up 6 plus an empty netter to an expansion team at home. Oh crap, 6 is a lot for hockey right? 

stupid youtube GIF

Welcome back.

It is at the point where we are seeing lacrosse scores with this team.

I just noticed Jonas Johannson because he has given up 8 goals to the leafs tonight, so obviously a bad time to post this, but why did we trade him last year? Colorado, a cup contender, felt strong enough to have him on their roster. Until tonight, he's been decent in limited action. Never understood the trade at the time, makes less sense to me now.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, klos1963 said:

I just noticed Jonas Johannson because he has given up 8 goals to the leafs tonight, so obviously a bad time to post this, but why did we trade him last year? Colorado, a cup contender, felt strong enough to have him on their roster. Until tonight, he's been decent in limited action. Never understood the trade at the time, makes less sense to me now.

He really didn’t have a place to play consistently.  We had Ullmark and Hutton in Buffalo and UPL and Tokarski in Rochester.  That left JJ in limbo so they traded him for a draft pick. 

In retrospect we should have waived and released Hutton, gave Tokarski the NHL backup job and let JJ backup UPL.  

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

On retrospect we should have waived and released Hutton, gave Tokarski the NHL backup job and let JJ backup UPL.  

Or, traded Ullmark before the deadline realizing he wasn't going to sign here, then we could have protected JJ and Seattle wasn't going to take Toker and we'd have a mediocre goalie and some sort of extra pick/asset in the system. But we don't learn. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, klos1963 said:

He was to become a UFA at the end of the year due to his lack of usage. (He had to play a certain amount of games and at the time of the trade even playing him every game would of fallen short of the required game count.)

45 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

He really didn’t have a place to play consistently.  We had Ullmark and Hutton in Buffalo and UPL and Tokarski in Rochester.  That left JJ in limbo so they traded him for a draft pick. 

In retrospect we should have waived and released Hutton, gave Tokarski the NHL backup job and let JJ backup UPL.  

33 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Or, traded Ullmark before the deadline realizing he wasn't going to sign here, then we could have protected JJ and Seattle wasn't going to take Toker and we'd have a mediocre goalie and some sort of extra pick/asset in the system. But we don't learn. 

As mentioned he was a UFA to be, just like Ullmark. We thought we could sign Ullmark, and felt JJ wasn't worth fighting in the UFA market over to be our AHL backup. 

Ullmark chose to wait and then not sign; in a way handcuffing us as he may have taken us signing another goalie as us moving on from him. (Effectively I feel Adams tried to be friendly and show confidence in Ullmark only for him to burn us with it)

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

(Effectively I feel Adams tried to be friendly and show confidence in Ullmark only for him to burn us with it)

Yeah.  Especially if you remember last season Ullmark took time off when his father passed away; the Sabres were very supportive.  This was in January:

cut.jpg

Apparently not that much gratitude, at least not as much as KA was betting on.  I think this was a mistake on Kevyn's part and I think he learned from it.  If not, he's a fool.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, The Ghost of Yuri said:

Yeah.  Especially if you remember last season Ullmark took time off when his father passed away; the Sabres were very supportive.  This was in January:

cut.jpg

Apparently not that much gratitude, at least not as much as KA was betting on.  I think this was a mistake on Kevyn's part and I think he learned from it.  If not, he's a fool.

A mistake to give a player time off because of the passing of ones parent. I would not like go think of that being a mistake. Some things are more important than sports in my opinion. Caring about others being one of them. JMO.

• Like (+1) 1

The lack of a goaltending transaction continues to support my theory that KA is a tank commander. No easier way to lose games than with crappy goaltending. 

As someone mentioned up thread, there are plenty of options in Europe.  Just have to throw money at one of them. 

• Like (+1) 2

54 minutes ago, Radar said:

A mistake to give a player time off because of the passing of ones parent. I would not like go think of that being a mistake. Some things are more important than sports in my opinion. Caring about others being one of them. JMO.

The mistake was not giving Linus the time off.  The mistake was thinking that having done so would ensure Linus would re-sign.

9 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

The lack of a goaltending transaction continues to support my theory that KA is a tank commander. No easier way to lose games than with crappy goaltending.

Occam's Razor.... yeah, you're probably right.  Build the rest of the team.  Let's see if it changes going into next season.

12 hours ago, klos1963 said:

5 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

Apparently Anderson is on the trip and practicing on his own.

Good to hear since there were reports that he had a serious concussion and was thinking of hanging it up.

No, he has a soft tissue injury that affects his ability to play goal, but isn't serious in other ways, from what I heard

• Like (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

No, he has a soft tissue injury that affects his ability to play goal, but isn't serious in other ways, from what I heard

I've heard both:  Some reports of a soft tissue injury; others (and maybe they go back to one person's speculation) mentioning concussion.

3 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

an injury where the only thing he couldn't do was play goal

Dahell does that even mean?

I've found Donny Meatballs to be forthcoming and transparent, with the one exception being injuries.  Then I don't know I can believe him.  Look at all the times he reported players as "gametime" decisions, then day-to-day, then week-to-week, then.... .... ....

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, The Ghost of Yuri said:

The mistake was not giving Linus the time off.  The mistake was thinking that having done so would ensure Linus would re-sign.

Why do you believe that had influenced the decision to give him time off. I separate that from Ulmarks contract situation.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.