Alex Tuch, a key piece in the Eichel trade

LGR4GM

Something that was proposed on Twitter the other day. 

Tuch and Eichel have the same amount of years remaining on Their Deals, with Tuch's AAV being 5.5 Million less per season.

Jack is a Top 1C is the better overall player, but is He worth 5.5 Million more per Season than Tuch?

That's going to be interesting to find out 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Tuch and Eichel have the same amount of years remaining on Their Deals, with Tuch's AAV being 5.5 Million less per season.

Jack is a Top 1C is the better overall player, but is He worth 5.5 Million more per Season than Tuch?

I honestly think 2 Tuchs > 1 Eichel, so no, Eichel is not worth 5.5M per season more.  This assumes, of course, that the Sabres use the 5.5M to acquire another Tuch.  

16 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

But is it a fair yardstick on who "won" the trade comparing production of Eichel vs Tuch, Krebs and whoever is drafted with those picks?

Kind of, but John will probably be a PPG+ guy for Vegas.  All the parts the Sabres got may add up to that or maybe not.  It doesn't really matter to me.

Tuch and to a lesser degree, but some degree, Krebs brings what John never brought to the Sabres and will not bring to Vegas.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

That was in part why I was willing to go to 2mil retention if we got Tuch + Theodore, you could easily just pretend Tuch and Theodore made 1 mil more per year. With Tuch making 2 mil more in year 5. 

In theory if Eichel gets 1ppg and Tuch gets .75ppg then we win the trade from a financial efficiency angle.

Why not .45ppg you might ask? Mainly because Eichel is a 1C player with Superstar talent. Tuch is unlikely to be ever as good as Eichel and is a winger through and through so that has to be factored in to their contractual AAV difference.

Ultimately this team is going to be somewhat defined by the trades of the big 3 (ROR, Jack and Sam)

From the looks of it we have received

A top 6 center - Thompson, who is currently out pointing ROR, but obviously isn't the FO guy or 2 way player ROR is, but is also 7 years younger and being paid 6.1 million less for another year. (Both their contracts expire after next season).

A Top 6 winger - While Tuch comes from the Eichel trade, he is essentially now is Sam's role.  Sam 26, is now a pt a game player for Florida (16g 28a in 44 games) for $6.5 for the next 2 seasons and then he's a UFA.  Tuch, who adds a physical dimension that Sam lacks, is 25, locked up for 4 more years at 4.75 and is producing equal to Samson at 6g 11a in 15 games.  

From a production standpoint we have replaced 2/3 of the production of the departed Big 3 for nearly 8 mill less.  

But now for the rest of the pieces.  

Peyton Krebs - He looks potentially like a top 6 playmaker we so desperately need.  He isn't the talent Eichel was but he adds a sorely needed dimension to this team.  Will continue to get better with time and I think he can replace 65 to 75% of what Eichel gave us production wise.

Ryan Johnson - LHD turning pro after this college season.  Reminds me of Jake McCabe in a good way. Could really help solidify the D, especially if he can play the right side.

Devon Levi - On track to be the best goaltender in our system since Ryan Miller.  His acquisition, if he continues to emulate the ascension of Ryan Miller, could be the difference maker in making this latest rebuild a Cup contender.     

Fla 1st rd pick in 2022 - Expect the pick to be late in the 1st. There are some intriguing players, especially D late in this draft class.  

LV 1st rd pick in 2022 - see above.  Maybe KA can parlay these picks to move up in the 1st to grab some like Marco Kasper, who as 17 is carving out a role in the SHL, unlike Isak Rosen.

To me Levi and Krebs are the keys.  If they flourish, I think we'll walk away thinking we got younger and ultimately better without the Big 3. Still none of theses guys add the dynamic play of Eichel, but as we saw last night Krebs at least has the dynamic passing skills in his arsenal.  

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

But is it a fair yardstick on who "won" the trade comparing production of Eichel vs Tuch, Krebs and whoever is drafted with those picks?

Eichel was, in the context of the Sabres, a problem that needed to be solved.  I would say at this point the problem has been solved and the Sabres have benefited from the return based on what we've seen.  Which team benefited more from the trade?  Is that how you determine the winner?  Or do we just root for the guys we have now, give VGK a sideward glance and call it good?

• LGR4GM locked this topic
  • LGR4GM unlocked this topic
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.