Jack Eichel and 2023 3rd Traded to Vegas for F Alex Tuch, C Peyton Krebs, 2022 1st Top Ten Protected and 2023 2nd

Brawndo

Retaining salary seemed like a reasonable option based on pages and pages of debate before the deal, and now that it didn't happen, it's reading like retaining salary is suddenly the biggest gaffe possible when negotiating a trade, to the point of mere discussion about the possibility of doing so is considered beyond the realm of realism. 

lol

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Retaining salary seemed like a reasonable option based on pages and pages of debate before the deal, and now that it didn't happen, it's reading like retaining salary is suddenly the biggest gaffe possible when negotiating a trade, to the point of mere discussion about the possibility of doing so is considered beyond the realm of realism. 

lol

Opinions may have differed if the return was lower.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Thorny said:

lol

I remember most on this board didn't want to retain salary at all.

Just now, SDS said:

Opinions may have differed if the return was lower.

It's not about opinions changing, it's the extent to which it's now being proclaimed as a fruitless option. 

1 minute ago, Huckleberry said:

I remember most on this board didn't want to retain salary at all.

I remember it being more 50/50

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, The Ghost of Yuri said:

Not strictly part of the trade, but...

Seriously, can someone explain this to me. We are giving $6,000,000.00 to a player that won’t play. I understand we need to get to the floor. Why not rework some contracts and give a bonus to a bunch of our players? The kids want to be here and the product on the ice (excluding past couple games) has been certainly more entertaining. I mean give it to the guys on the ice. What am I missing?

20 minutes ago, triumph_communes said:

Retaining salary meant we lose one of those prospects three years from now if things go well for us. 

Or obtaining a key free agent that they feel is a key piece.

Or making a deadline deal to acquire a player if we are in contention at some point. 

And they have enough of an albatross of a contract on the team already.

Edited by K-9
  • Like (+1) 1

I honestly don't think the trade is over. I believe there will be a part two with a Dman coming here.

If Eichel, Patches, and Stone come back the VGK will be 10mil over the cap with the then 26 players.

Regardless if they have zero extras and waive McNabb they still end up 4 mil over the cap.

Between our home game against Vegas on March 10th and the end of the season, Vegas plays 24 games. They may very well be in a dog fight to make the playoffs and if Eichel and the others are already healthy I highly doubt they will elect to Kucherov Eichel and potentially miss the playoffs altogether. 

As such, few teams would have the cap space to eat 5 to 8 million in March hence another deal.  Just food for thought.

Edited by thewookie1
  • Like (+1) 4

2 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

I honestly don't think the trade is over. I believe there will be a part two with a Dman coming here.

If Eichel, Patches, and Stone come back the VGK will be 10mil over the cap with the then 26 players.

Regardless if they have zero extras and waive McNabb they still end up 4 mil over the cap.

Between our home game against Vegas on March 10th and the end of the season, Vegas plays 24 games. They may very well be in a dog fight to make the playoffs and if Eichel and the others are already healthy I highly doubt they will elect to Kucherov Eichel and potentially miss the playoffs all together. 

As such, few teams would have the cap space to eat 5 to 8 million in March hence another deal.  Just food for thought.

Interesting. 

6 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

Between our home game against Vegas on March 10th and the end of the season, Vegas plays 24 games. They may very well be in a dog fight to make the playoffs and if Eichel and the others are already healthy I highly doubt they will elect to Kucherov Eichel and potentially miss the playoffs altogether. 

This is some grade A speculation and I like it 

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, BUFtoNCfan said:

Seriously, can someone explain this to me. We are giving $6,000,000.00 to a player that won’t play. I understand we need to get to the floor. Why not rework some contracts and give a bonus to a bunch of our players? The kids want to be here and the product on the ice (excluding past couple games) has been certainly more entertaining. I mean give it to the guys on the ice. What am I missing?

This isn’t football, you can’t rework deals. The cap hit is $6 million but the actual money owed is l think $1.2 million and part is covered by insurance so Buffalo is only paying like $500,000. 

This gives the leeway. Say a team called and wanted Colin Miller and offer a prospect or pick the Sabres liked. Miller makes about $3.3 million I believe. Before they would have to take on money or find it somewhere to stay above the floor and be compliant. Now they could move Miller and not worry about the cap floor. It gives them more flexibility to make deals.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 3

10-1 Vegas pulls a Tampa with somebody, probably Eichel. I mean surgery now, 3 months rehab projected takes you to middle of February, not that far from April really..............

On retaining salary, you have to ask yourself would you want one more draft pick and dead cap OR do you want the ability to sign a decent free agent to fill a hole and/or sign a blossoming youngster? I'd take the latter, you don't get both. 

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Most people think the Sabres were withholding ALL medical treatment out of spite.

This is definitely a common opinion on the non-Sabres hockey Internet.

2 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

10-1 Vegas pulls a Tampa with somebody, probably Eichel. I mean surgery now, 3 months rehab projected takes you to middle of February, not that far from April really..............

Vegas is in the bottom of its division and probably isn't going to be playing hockey too far into April unless it gets some players back from injury.  (This is why I'm pissed about the top ten protection on the pick.)

5 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

On retaining salary, you have to ask yourself would you want one more draft pick and dead cap OR do you want the ability to sign a decent free agent to fill a hole and/or sign a blossoming youngster? I'd take the latter, you don't get both. 

As I said in my post, this isn't a normal schedule year. April is fully booked with regular season games along with March due to the Olympics. They play 24 games after seeing us on 3/10/22 (30 games from March 1st until the end of April.)

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, BUFtoNCfan said:

First, welcome to the board.

Second, it's $6M cap, but $1M in actual money.  When the Sabres activate Tuch, they will need to send a player to Rochester, which would put them under the cap.  They also need some flexibility if they trade players for picks if they are sellers at the TDL (oh, please, let us be close enough to not want to do this...).

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

As I said in my post, this isn't a normal schedule year. April is fully booked with regular season games along with March due to the Olympics. They play 24 games after seeing us on 3/10/22 (30 games from March 1st until the end of April.)

What a F ing grind. The NHL doesn’t do itself any favors by playing such a compacted schedule. Lots of crap hockey as a result. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Vegas is in the bottom of its division and probably isn't going to be playing hockey too far into April unless it gets some players back from injury.  (This is why I'm pissed about the top ten protection on the pick.)

Quite possible, but it's also a pretty mediocre if not weak division. Won't take all that much to come in 3rd. 

Just now, K-9 said:

What a F ing grind. The NHL doesn’t do itself any favors by playing such a compacted schedule. Lots of crap hockey as a result. 

What I think they should do is go with a shorter schedule and/or conference-only schedule in Olympic years.  Have the schedule be 6x7 in division + 4x8 in conference, or something to save on wear-and-tear.  Sure, it would suck to not see the other conference's stars, but it would make for better hockey.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Just now, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

What I think they should do is go with a shorter schedule and/or conference-only schedule in Olympic years.  Have the schedule be 6x7 in division + 4x8 in conference, or something to save on wear-and-tear.  Sure, it would suck to not see the other conference's stars, but it would make for better hockey.

Not a bad idea.

• Thanks (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

First, welcome to the board.

Second, it's $6M cap, but $1M in actual money.  When the Sabres activate Tuch, they will need to send a player to Rochester, which would put them under the cap.  They also need some flexibility if they trade players for picks if they are sellers at the TDL (oh, please, let us be close enough to not want to do this...).

Well I'm trading off players like Miller even if we are close...........

We won't be under the cap in any way. It's super easy to pick up a salary dump from somebody almost any time you need it. Not a long term dump, that'd be bad, but a short term one to stay over the floor, that's easily done. 

17 minutes ago, Eleven said:

This is definitely a common opinion on the non-Sabres hockey Internet.

It’s also kinda why they had to have it 

1 hour ago, triumph_communes said:

Retaining salary meant we lose one of those prospects three years from now if things go well for us. 

… what?

57 minutes ago, Thorny said:

lol

I don’t get this impression anywhere.

44 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

Contingent trades are not legal in the CBA. Vegas will figure out their cap in other ways. Doesn’t mean a second deal can’t happen with Vegas, but I don’t believe there’s any way one is already decided. Too much can change between now and then.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.