GDT: Detroit @ Buffalo 10/9/21 ***3:00 PM game*** MSG

bob_sauve28

Attached is a 9 min link from Sabres.com of a summary of the highlights. 

I didn't watch the game so I can't comment about it. It is going to be interesting to see if JJ Peterka makes the roster or is sent to Rochester to get more playing time? Based on his play he has earned a roster spot but from a developmental standpoint he might start the season in the AHL. 

https://www.nhl.com/sabres/video/det--buf/t-277443696/c-9120174

Also attached is a 5 min clip of Granato's post game comments. 

https://www.nhl.com/sabres/video/don-granato-postgame-10921/t-277437090/c-9119919

Edited by JohnC
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

First period was about as lopsided in the favor of the Sabres as I've seen in a long time. Rolling 4 lines, super fast paced, totals in the stat sheet favored for the Sabres except for goals.

Second period was more balanced with the eye test. What was different with the eye test is Detroit's top line (Bertuzzi line) played a lot more minutes where  Buffalo still seemed to roll a balanced 4 lines.

The Girgensons goal was pure hustle for a preseason game by a Vet. I'd put that on a video loop in the locker room and leave it playing till someone out hustled that. It's why he has an *A*.

Third period was tilted toward the Sabres. Fast pace with some nice passing, not the odd man rushes and in close shots like the first but just how a team needs to close out a one goal game, with the puck and most of the time in the offensive zone.

Most noticeable points where late in the third. Two-ish minutes left with the Bertuzzi line on and Detroit's goalie pulled it's the Thompson line out there. Nothing fancy by the Sabres with everything to the outside till Anderson stops play. Not who I thought we would see  during those minutes, but pre season..  Granato said it best in the post game press conference *Thompson has been intriguing at center this preseason...*

Next line out is the Skinner line for the puck drop in the D zone. Hinistroza makes a great defensive play in the d zone to get the puck out to Skinner at mid ice. Skinner has a easy empty net goal only to hold up and make a nice pass to Vinnie for the empty net. Vinnie deserved the goal, Skinner was vet enough to know it. Some interesting dynamics.

Edited by woods-racer
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Cheektorado said:

Finishing 7th and 8th (twice) in the Division those years sure wasn't good times.

And that first shot that Tage took that ended up deflecting of Peterka was very Jack-like.  I'm actually pretty happy with Thompson's progress.  If he keeps growing this season he's gonna be a good player for us.

• Like (+1) 4

4 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

And that first shot that Tage took that ended up deflecting of Peterka was very Jack-like.  I'm actually pretty happy with Thompson's progress.  If he keeps growing this season he's gonna be a good player for us.

What is with this positivity post?

I DONT LIKE IT

They're REALLY gonna put Tage at C? WhAt A jOkE. 

Edited by Andrew Amerk
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Omg. Are you suggesting what I think you’re saying?

25 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

13 minutes ago, kas23 said:

I believe he suggesting that he'll become a good player for us when he grows to 7' tall.  😏

• Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, kas23 said:

I think I said what I said.

39 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

Imply the meaning at your leisure. 

Mine: red ball is the win. And certain people want to ruin the win.
But fail. 😂

85702633.gif

The Sabres bubble CANNOT be burst.

THE BUFFALO SABRES WILL BE FINE.

59 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

But great energy. Execution still lacking. Anderson was solid. I'm worried Cozens is regressing some.

Really.... that's okay.  Three lines look pretty good.  Let Dylan figure it out.  I actually thought he looked better today than the previous few games.

1 hour ago, Buffalonill said:

Yes its terrible post that we have no depth at center..

Just think 

Jack 

RoR

Sam 

casey

Now ?

What could of been 

You know what?  I'll take heart, energy and chemistry over any of the Eichel teams.  This team doesn't have the talent that we had when Eichel was playing for us, but it's a team, not a soap opera.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

So we've been lacking size at center for ages so the solution is put your biggest guy there and call him a center. Okay sure, why not. 

This was boring hockey and Detroit is pretty inept, BUT I will say there was more unity and good positional play from the Sabres than I've seen in a long long time. There isn't a lot of high end skill there but there was some disciplined team play and that's a foundational step. Better net presence too. So, some positive signs, but it's only preseason and that was a scrub team we were playing against. 

I didn’t think it was boring at all.

It was fast, the Sabres were fast and they didn’t allow much at all.

Skinner was often exiting the zone early and getting up ice quickly; he had that drama Queen Euro soccer poser thing going that I can’t stand, but he needs when he’s on. That pass to Hinostroza might have been the best I’ve ever seen him make.

Girgs and KO looked like warriors and old pros and Eakin actually was OK with them.

Tage’s preseason hasn’t been universally loved but Ive liked him, especially tonight. He’s frequently in the middle of things on both ends of the ice.

This was the other side of our D, the one that can succeed when they are moving the puck and their feet. Jacob Bryson was as good tonight as he was terrible against the Pens.

I hope Hayden makes the team. He should have.

Detroit is not a good team, but neither were the Pens. We skate that way on a consistent basis and I’ll keep watching.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

Seeing how we had Dwight schrute  will never know .

Sentence (n) - a set of words that is complete in itself, typically containing a subject and predicate, conveying a statement, question, exclamation, or command, and consisting of a main clause and sometimes one or more subordinate clauses.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.