What do you expect from: #37 Casey Mittelstadt?

dudacek

Casey Mittelstadt  

36 members have voted

1. 1. 1. Which of these best describes what you think the Sabres will get from Mittelstadt this year?

• A breakout season of 50 or more points and signs of being a genuine first-line player
    • Good production (40+ points) and some flashy plays, but also lots of signs that he's not a legitimate front-liner
    • Tons of ice time and offensive opportunity, but somewhat disappointing results — 30-40 points and a lot of minuses
    • Frustrating play, less than 30 points and plenty of evidence that he was another squandered high pick.

Most of you are familiar with the "best prospect in hockey" edition Casey Mittelstadt, the 8th overall pick who blew up the World Junior Tournament with 11 points in 7 games and game-breaking, clutch plays.

You are also familiar with the "Ralph Krueger" version of Casey Mittelstadt, the one who put up 7 points in 40 games, bouncing in and out of the press box, between centre and wing, and from Buffalo to Rochester, and looking pretty much lost while doing it.

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=192483

Last year finished with a tantalizing glimpse of a 3rd Casey Mittelstadt, one that scored 9 goals and 17 points over the final 22 games, mostly in a top-6 centre role.

What do you expect from Mittelstadt this season?

Edited by dudacek

I don’t see much difference between options 2 and 3.   If he scores 45 points he is 2, if 38 he is 3.  Either way we will see aspects if his game that still need work.  

Goals and points are going to be hard to acquire on this team, especially with the matchups he will see at 1C/2C.  I picked 3 because we are, once again, asking a bit too much of him.  If we had Eichel and Reinhart he would be ready to thrive at 3C.  

His development this year will be one of the the keys for the team moving forward.

Kid has talent. Just not sure if it's Derek Plante talent, or Derek Roy talent.

What I liked about the end of last season was that he was starting to look like the player he was in junior, in terms of how he attacked the game and he did it without a ton of support; he was the driver.

4 hours ago, dudacek said:

His development this year will be one of the the keys for the team moving forward.

Kid has talent. Just not sure if it's Derek Plante talent, or Derek Roy talent.

What I liked about the end of last season was that he was starting to look like the player he was in junior, in terms of how he attacked the game and he did it without a ton of support; he was the driver.

Tim Connolly pre-concussion?

35 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Tim Connolly last 30-50 or so games pre-concussion/neck injury would be fantastic.

Tim Connolly w/ long hair.  No, dear Lord, no.

LOL, ^^^ and how Connolly transformed is exactly why I have hope for Casey.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.