Rochester Americans 2021-2022

Brawndo

1 hour ago, JoeSchmoe said:

You saw him in the preseason, right? UPL is not just a little bad, he's a lot bad right now. 

So what would you like them to do?  

Keep working with him, and play every other game?  Let Dell have the games over the next couple of weeks? Send him to the ECHL where he already succeeded?  Send him home?

31 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Keep working with him, and play every other game?  Let Dell have the games over the next couple of weeks? Send him to the ECHL where he already succeeded?  Send him home?

I think it might be reevaluation time for UPL.  If he truly is struggling that badly in the AHL it might be time for a reboot in the ECHL to get his game back.

Or it might be time to determine if there is something physically or mentally off.

53 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

I’m struggling to see the issue with sending him down to the ECHL. Do NHL players not get sent down to the AHL after previously succeeding in that league? Your point makes no sense. It’s not like he’s just playing so-so, he’s a couple saves away from having a save percentage in the 700s. That’s unheard of for professional goalies. And let’s tone down the excuse that he’s basically a rookie. He’s played over 50 professional games across 3 seasons. No, it hasn’t been normal, but it hasn’t been normal for anyone. It’s not an excuse. He’s regressing, and continuing to start him behind a suspect defense, when he’s already struggling, doesn’t seem like a great idea. 

• Like (+1) 1

It will be interesting to see how the Sabres handle this.

Kotyk has been working with him for years, right? And Appert is a former goalie.

I will say that UPL's development is more important to the organization than Amerks' wins and losses, but you can't ignore the negative effect UPL's play could have on the other prospects in Rochester.

There is a Mendoza line you can't ignore for too long and right now he is clearly below it.

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, dudacek said:

It will be interesting to see how the Sabres handle this.

Kotyk has been working with him for years, right? And Appert is a former goalie.

I will say that UPL's development is more important to the organization than Amerks' wins and losses, but you can't ignore the negative effect UPL's play could have on the other prospects in Rochester.

There is a Mendoza line you can't ignore for too long and right now he is clearly below it.

Yep. There’s a fine line between letting a player play thru his struggles as part of his development (which is important, btw) and continuing to let his bad play impact the rest of your prospects to their detriment. 

8 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Yep. There’s a fine line between letting a player play thru his struggles as part of his development (which is important, btw) and continuing to let his bad play impact the rest of your prospects to their detriment. 

As we have learned with Mitts sometimes it’s best to demote someone and let them get their confidence back.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

Send him to the ECHL where he already succeeded?

UPL was 20th in the ECHL for save% for goalies that played 10 games or more. Thats getting by, not succeeding. This is his 3rd season in Roch and he hasn't gotten better.

I would like to send him to the ECHL until he's firing close to being a top 5 goalie.

25 minutes ago, JoeSchmoe said:

UPL was 20th in the ECHL for save% for goalies that played 10 games or more. Thats getting by, not succeeding. This is his 3rd season in Roch and he hasn't gotten better.

I would like to send him to the ECHL until he's firing close to being a top 5 goalie.

I know a lot of it is confidence, but I’d rather have him here in WNY working with the goaltending coach every day than playing against journeymen scrubs. 

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

I know a lot of it is confidence, but I’d rather have him here in WNY working with the goaltending coach every day than playing against journeymen scrubs. 

The ECHL is a better league than you’re giving it credit for. There’s zero harm in sending him down. Nothing bad happens. Either he gains confidence, plays well and comes back up to Rochester, or he struggles and the organization realizes they have a problem and address it from there. 

Right now he’s not even giving the Amerks a chance to win. How does that impact the game script? How does that impact how Quinn and Peterka play? 

I’d give him a couple more starts, and if there’s little to no improvement, the decision is easy. The only reason they wouldn’t do it is out of stubbornness. 

3 minutes ago, Amerks8796 said:

The ECHL is a better league than you’re giving it credit for. There’s zero harm in sending him down. Nothing bad happens. Either he gains confidence, plays well and comes back up to Rochester, or he struggles and the organization realizes they have a problem and address it from there. 

Right now he’s not even giving the Amerks a chance to win. How does that impact the game script? How does that impact how Quinn and Peterka play? 

I’d give him a couple more starts, and if there’s little to no improvement, the decision is easy. The only reason they wouldn’t do it is out of stubbornness. 

The bolded is one thing Adams can't yet be accused of.  He's walked away from Staal, Hall, this year's goaltending plans B & C, which all were guys he brought in &/or professed believing in and also from stopgaps he's brought in such as Reider & Sheehan.

Expect UPL lasts through this weekend but not much more if he doesn't get his head out of his bippy.  There's worse things for a 22 yo to have happen to them than receiving a demotion w/ a set plan of what to work on and an understanding of what needs to happen to be brought back.

At the NHL level, guys haven't been gifted jobs this year.  Can't see them sticking to a gifting of a job in Ra-cha-cha.

I honestly believe he has a vision problem or he is trying to guess a shot and fails repeatedly. If you have AHLTV rewatch the goals scored on him, he actually leans the wrong way on shots, either by not seeing the shot or just guessing.

Check his eyes and then send him down to ECHL regardless of which it is, best case scenario is we trade him to Arizona for anything, and let UPHutton be someone else's problem. Swapping UPHutton for Karel Vejmelka would be a steal IMO but no way that happens.

5 minutes ago, Amerks8796 said:

Laval looks to be perhaps the best team in the division. It’ll be a tough game. I’d obviously like to see Dell play tonight, and Jankowski return to the lineup. 

Good test for them tonight. Dell should take the net for a few games and let UPL work on his game.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.