Rochester Americans 2021-2022

Brawndo

33 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

So much for the criticism he holds onto puck too long 

I expected the speed and the forecheck and ability to skate with and shoot the puck.

I did not expect him to find other players as well as he does. The kid uses his linemates and knows how to make plays.

• Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, dudacek said:

Peterka and Jankowski were the best forwards tonight.

The Krebs Quinn combo wasn’t as good as the previous games, although Quinn’s goal was amazing.

Do you project Peterka-Krebs-Quinn on the Sabre roster next year? I'm not suggesting that any of these players will immediately be ready for the top lines although one or two of them might be. If you add Power, Samuelsson and Tuch to this group you can see this roster being reshaped rather quickly. That is not to say that it still won't take another year or longer before they become significant contributors. Compared to a year or so ago the future does look bright. 

• Like (+1) 5

23 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Do you project Peterka-Krebs-Quinn on the Sabre roster next year? I'm not suggesting that any of these players will immediately be ready for the top lines although one or two of them might be. If you add Power, Samuelsson and Tuch to this group you can see this roster being reshaped rather quickly. That is not to say that it still won't take another year or longer before they become significant contributors. Compared to a year or so ago the future does look bright. 

Samuelsson is on the roster next year, no if’s,ands, or buts.

The only way Power isnt is if he goes back to college. Don’t see that happening.

The forwards are more intriguing. Based on expected development curves, Krebs should arrive this year and the other 2 next year. On ice, all three look close to me.

But that is a lot of rookies for one team. may not be room for them all. Mind you, it worked well for the ‘86 Canadiens.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Samuelsson is on the roster next year, no if’s,ands, or buts.

The only way Power isnt is if he goes back to college. Don’t see that happening.

The forwards are more intriguing. Based on expected development curves, Krebs should arrive this year and the other 2 next year. On ice, all three look close to me.

But that is a lot of rookies for one team. may not be room for them all. Mind you, it worked well for the ‘86 Canadiens.

What you see is what I see. It is both hopeful and frightening to see so many young players on a roster. The one saving grace is that Granato is the right coach to work with so many young players. He is masterful in loosening the rope and tightening the rope when working with youngsters. 

6 minutes ago, JohnC said:

What you see is what I see. It is both hopeful and frightening to see so many young players on a roster. The one saving grace is that Granato is the right coach to work with so many young players. He is masterful in loosening the rope and tightening the rope when working with youngsters. 

I just wish there were more capable veterans they needed to beat out rather than the likes of Hinostroza and Butcher. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I just wish there were more capable veterans they needed to beat out rather than the likes of Hinostroza and Butcher. 

That's the danger of bringing in the JAG roster. And (once an inevitable injury or two occurs... it's why Risto and Zadorov were up full-time a year too soon. You can't send them back down when you've got Meszaros and Benoit). Just like our top AHLers should supplant Hinostroza/Caggiula now because of their skills, but it's the all around steadiness and consistency that they need first.

However, if they're not rushed and are ready (whether to start next season, or middle of next season, or even the start of 2023 season), then it doesn't matter who they replace in the lineup.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

I expected the speed and the forecheck and ability to skate with and shoot the puck.

I did not expect him to find other players as well as he does. The kid uses his linemates and knows how to make plays.

I’m fully on board with letting him stay in the A for as long as they deem necessary, but JJ is NHL ready to play at the next level, regardless. Easy to understand why the Sabres deliberated before making him the last cut out of camp. He is simply better than the jags currently on the team. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

Quinn has been impressive  likely a 30+ guy at the next level but you take the center every time Lundell should have been picked.

I’m a big Lundell guy too but it’s less specifically him than it is/was what he’d have meant to our weak C ice position. Krebs already makes things better, if they get another guy, it’s not really that sense of loss, anymore. 

It’s probably also mitigated for me by the fact that you like to see your Cs with good playmaking ability and Quinn seems to playmake pretty well from the W. 

1 minute ago, Buffalonill said:

Another thing that's bothering me if the organization knew  that Jack asked for a trade  before the Quinn pick why take a wing .

They needed to keep the “Jack” quota up to snuff? 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

Quinn has been impressive  likely a 30+ guy at the next level but you take the center every time Lundell should have been picked.

Lundell is a prime example of why scouting and drafting is an inexact science. Not one scouting service had him as the pick at 8. A lot had him in the 20s. Skating and offensive upside were listed as red flags. But he has proven everyone wrong. He has been terrific. I think you were his biggest supporter at the time. Good on you.

Levi is proving all the experts wrong as well.

Edited by Flashsabre

2 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

Lundell is a prime example of why scouting and drafting is an inexact science. Not one scouting service had him as the pick at 8. A lot had him in the 20s. Skating and offensive upside were listed as red flags. But he has proven everyone wrong. He has been terrific. I think you were his biggest supporter at the time. Good on you.

Levi is proving all the experts wrong as well.

There were outlets that had him at 8 or higher though. Future Considerations had him 6th and The Hockey Writers had him 6th too. 

https://thehockeywriters.com/anton-lundell-2020-nhl-draft-prospect-profile/

NHL Central Scouting: 4th (Among EU skaters)

Bob McKenzie, TSN: 11th

HockeyProspect.com: 13th

ISS: 8th

McKeen’s Hockey: 11th

Future Considerations: 6th

The Hockey Writers (Bell): 6th

26 minutes ago, Thorny said:

There were outlets that had him at 8 or higher though. Future Considerations had him 6th and The Hockey Writers had him 6th too. 

https://thehockeywriters.com/anton-lundell-2020-nhl-draft-prospect-profile/

NHL Central Scouting: 4th (Among EU skaters)

Bob McKenzie, TSN: 11th

HockeyProspect.com: 13th

ISS: 8th

McKeen’s Hockey: 11th

Future Considerations: 6th

The Hockey Writers (Bell): 6th

I stand corrected😁

2 hours ago, Thorny said:

I don’t. I want them in the NHL when they are better than guys like that. They are exactly the right measuring stick. 

1 hour ago, K-9 said:

I’m fully on board with letting him stay in the A for as long as they deem necessary, but JJ is NHL ready to play at the next level, regardless. Easy to understand why the Sabres deliberated before making him the last cut out of camp. He is simply better than the jags currently on the team. 

Not exactly disagreeing, but Peterka has work to do defensively; he’s behind the JAGs in that area.

14 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

This team is man for man one of the most talented in the league however they are consistently outshot and out chances. Appert and crew need to adapt and adjust their system a little bit here.

They apparently play Donnie’s system, with more focus on development than winning now and I’m OK with that.

• Like (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I don’t. I want them in the NHL when they are better than guys like that. They are exactly the right measuring stick. 

Not exactly disagreeing, but Peterka has work to do defensively; he’s behind the JAGs in that area.

They apparently play Donnie’s system, with more focus on development than winning now and I’m OK with that.

Right, but that would hold true for me if those guys were playing the proper roles - generally replacing a Hinostroza level talent is bottom 11/12 on a roster, currently we have players like Caggiula and Hinostroza in 7th and 8th for average ice time among F. 

Butcher is 4th overall for skaters on the team. 

Being better then those guys gets you top 6 minutes/top 4 minutes, which I wouldn't exactly call entry level

- - - 

Hinostoza has been with Cozens though so in that sense, if you slid in a ready prospect, it could work well. 

I guess I just mean I haven't really shifted my stance that I wish the roster still had a bit more of a strong veteran presence up top - but of course if the team hovers around .500 for a long time, my opinion will start to shift on that. The roster is still outperforming my expectations. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.