KA on FA, 7/24 presser: We don't want to "box out" our young core

PASabreFan

5 minutes ago, sabremike said:

Sending kids to go out and get crushed on a nightly basis is not going to lead to development it's going to lead to disaster.

That depends on the attitude of the players. When I played hockey, I actually liked being the underdog and playing against better teams. 

Maybe after years of doing it like Samson, Jack, and Risto did, it wears off. 

Edited by Andrew Amerk

24 minutes ago, SabresVet said:

That may work in Arizona, where the fan base is much smaller and there are 3 other pro teams.  In Buffalo, I can't see the fans accepting another 2 seasons of bad hockey waiting for kids to develop.  

Other external factors impact the personnel side of the team and a lengthy rebuild.  One is team revenue and we're seeing that as the Pegula's lose money, they cut costs.  Ticket sales are gonna go down this season as the arena allows fans back, particularly with more losing and the departure of Jack. 

What do you think we're in the process of doing.  We're in the Wright, Miroshnichenko, Savoie mix. 

Just now, Andrew Amerk said:

That depends on the attitude of the players. When I played hockey, I actually liked being the underdog and playing against better teams. 

I don't think you understand just how bad this team is going to be. Multiple double digit losing streaks are all but guaranteed, just look at that roster.

5 minutes ago, triumph_communes said:

We already saw what an Eichel less Mittelstadt and Thompson led team could do. They broke the losing streak and played at a playoff pace until Cozens got hurt

Reinhart would have been a big factor in this

Also that "playoff pace" stuff was a tiny sample size 

12 minutes ago, sabremike said:

I don't think you understand just how bad this team is going to be. Multiple double digit losing streaks are all but guaranteed, just look at that roster.

*Checks calendar*

Its July.  Let’s wait until we have a roster before we start (all but) guaranteeing multiple 10+ game losing streaks.

I get that it looks like they will be very bad, but come on.

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, Curt said:

*Checks calendar*

Its July.  Let’s wait until we have a roster before we start (all but) guaranteeing multiple 10+ game losing streaks.

I get that it looks like they will be very bad, but come on.

I agree with you.

That kind of negative doomsday sentiment … and you’re kind of response … happens every single off-season.  Perpetuating the rinse and repeat. 

38 minutes ago, Rasmus_ said:

What do you think we're in the process of doing.  We're in the Wright, Miroshnichenko, Savoie mix. 

They're not tanking deliberately this time even though the 2021-22 W-L probably gets them a high pick.  Still isn't the objective.

They are removing their self-proclaimed "bad eggs," going full youth movement, and cutting salary.  If they get another top pick it's icing on the cake. 

Adams has been empowered as much as ownership allows to start completely over.  Now that I think about it, reminds me of 2013-14.  

• Like (+1) 2

50 minutes ago, triumph_communes said:

We already saw what an Eichel less Mittelstadt and Thompson led team could do. They broke the losing streak and played at a playoff pace until Cozens got hurt

With a line ahead of them on the pecking order.  (And pretty sure their longest stretch of 0.600 or better hockey (aka a playoff pace) was 7 games.    Not really anything to rave about IMHO.)

We're about to see them as THE guys.  Can't believe either is actually ready for it.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, SabresVet said:

They're not tanking deliberately this time even though the 2021-22 W-L probably gets them a high pick.  Still isn't the objective.

They are removing their self-proclaimed "bad eggs," going full youth movement, and cutting salary.  If they get another top pick it's icing on the cake. 

Adams has been empowered as much as ownership allows to start completely over.  Now that I think about it, reminds me of 2013-14.  

Adams needs to get a blue chip prospect and a high draft pick for Eichel, at the VERY least. That shouldn’t be too hard. 

I know he’s asking for 4 players, but if teams aren’t biting, get 3.  

5 hours ago, Taro T said:

With a line ahead of them on the pecking order.  (And pretty sure their longest stretch of 0.600 or better hockey (aka a playoff pace) was 7 games.    Not really anything to rave about IMHO.)

We're about to see them as THE guys.  Can't believe either is actually ready for it.

More so than Girgensons was. Return for Eichel needs to be a center, agreed. And this team needs to shift to rolling the lines instead of one or two hogging all the minutes, which works better anyway. 

Just now, Let's Go B-Lo said:

Reinhart isn't the only one with a well respected and connected father who holds some pretty strong opinions about the organization.

From where did you hear that Kjell Samuelsson is trying to guide his son out of the Sabres organization?

What I would like to know is if you actually heard this from a source, or if you are just assuming.

Either way, Sabres hold Samuelsson’s rights for 6 more years.  Things may be different by then.

10 hours ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

Corpse?

Let me go ahead an be the one to tell you, Samuelsson is out the second he can be.

This makes little sense. Samuelsson will be a shutdown LHD getting decent minutes next year. He's something like 4 years away from UFA status.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, triumph_communes said:

true but now do it over an 82 game schedule. That will be difficult

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Thorny said:

I've heard the comparisons to Ottawa, that we can be next year's "them". 

I mean, ya. Senators had what, 51 in 56 last season? 75 point pace. I believe the Sabres played at a 54 point pace over 82.  Adams looking to unlock a 21 point improvement? Sign me up right now for that! But you gotta spot me your best player from last year, and the d-man who played more minutes than anyone else.

I'm honestly eager to see how Adams pulls off that little switcheroo. I'll happily take that result if the plan for capable vet supplement is on the severe back burner. 

We are planning on cutting our experience much more than Ottawa did.  They had and have lots of young prospects and players but they also have a number that have been in their organization for a number of years developing.  Take a look at their roster they have a pretty good mix of young talent and veterans. 

I can't think of any team that has cut this deep for a rebuild.  I think that we do need to add a couple of veterans to help stabilize this team.  Center, Right Wing, Right Defense.

The good thing is that we will have the salary cap space to add (hopefully someone useful from a good team) in case next season goes off the rails.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

Reinhart isn't the only one with a well respected and connected father who holds some pretty strong opinions about the organization.

Samuelsson's father is well schooled in the world of the NHL. If he is counseling his son he would certainly be telling him that he is in a situation where he will be afforded a golden opportunity to play sooner and establish himself as a player in the league than he would be with other franchises. He would be telling his son to prepare himself the best he can and seize this opportunity in front of him.

12 hours ago, JohnC said:

The young players currently on the roster and in the short-pipeline that you list offers some hope. But the reality is that it is going to take at least another couple or few years for those players to be at a stage where this roster will be seriously competitive. What has to happen is for this regime to have the courage of its conviction to follow through with their rebuilding plan.

As you well know and have vigorously stated that it is imperative that the goaltending is upgraded so that it can undergird the rebuilding process. There are a number of roster issues that need to be addressed. And that is the most important one.  

I agree with your post.

The goaltending worries me though.  I would like to have Ullmark back as a first priority as a 1A but I would also like to sign another capable proven goaltender for our team as a 1B.  Ullmark has had issues with staying healthy and his overall durability when he starts getting lots of back to back games.  I'm sure that everyone agrees on this point.  Adam's comments from yesterday makes me worry that they are planning to have UPL be the backup which I think would be a huge mistake.  We should plan on having UPL in Rochester as the #1 goalie for the season.

24 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Samuelsson's father is well schooled in the world of the NHL. If he is counseling his son he would certainly be telling him that he is in a situation where he will be afforded a golden opportunity to play sooner and establish himself as a player in the league than he would be with other franchises. He would be telling his son to prepare himself the best he can and seize this opportunity in front of him.

I believe Mattias Samuelsson has a great opportunity with the team next year as a top 4 D on the left side.  I would think that both he and his father are excited about the upcoming season.  He's getting his chance to show that he can play in the NHL before Owen Power comes onto the team and pushes him down the depth chart.  This is a great year for him and I'm excited to see how he plays with a full year in the NHL.

In the long run if he plays well he may get moved in the future because of the depth on Left D but let's not get ahead of ourselves.  Short term he'll be happy to get his chance with the Sabres and with some success who knows maybe he'll be able to play the right side with Owen Power and add some snarl to that D pairing in the longer future.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.