Pick #33: LW/RW Prokhor Poltapov

GASabresIUFAN

11 minutes ago, IKnowPhysics said:

For the curious, the plot's vertical axis is individual shot attempts per 60 minutes and the the horizontal axis is pass attempts through to or through dangerous areas per 60 minutes.

Could be a result of being the go-to player on a decent team in a weaker MHL league or could be a sign he's an animal with the puck.

I think the MHL is really comparable do say the Q but maybe I am wrong there. 

4 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I think the MHL is really comparable do say the Q but maybe I am wrong there. 

Hard to tell.  From what I've seen over the years, the NHLe factor of the MHL is ~0.166 versus the QMJHL in the ~0.25-0.28 range.  MHL is still "the top junior league" in Russia, but I have a feeling the bad teams are worse and the bad players are worse, leading to stat inflation (or it being an easier league to play in).

Doesn't mean NHL-worthy gems can't be found.  And it's likely the sample sizes are small for the MHL.  And NHLe trends tend to get broken by the extremely talented outliers anyways.

• Like (+1) 1

• SDS unpinned this topic
38 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Forton was really glowing about Polty in his presser yesterday.  Said he sees him as a legit NHL power forward with high skill.  

Every couple drafts a pick just catches your eye on 1st impression and just becomes your guy, right or wrong.

Cant wait until he gets here.

51 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

The biggest questions with the Russians is will they come over and when?  With 3 of the 4 Russians developing in Russia, it could be 3-4 years until they come to NA.  

Yes makes you think for sure.  I think that if the players can make the NHL team that it's not a concern (primarily because the NHL can offer better contracts and salaries long term than the KHL) but it may be an issue to get sent down to Rochester to develop.

We will see.  Looks like some great skills on these Russian players selected.  I agree we may be waiting a couple of years at least.  Time will tell. 

10 hours ago, dudacek said:

Max Afinogenov hands with Vaclav Varada’s face and attitude.

Oh, yes that’s one serious Poltapov Cocktail.

Cannot wait.

I can't hear Varada (especially with the mention of his face) and not hear, "weed wacker". 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.