Pick #33: LW/RW Prokhor Poltapov

GASabresIUFAN

• SDS changed the title to Pick #33: LW/RW Prokhor Poltapov
4 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

He is not a good skater. 

He’s a leverage player. Saying it doesn’t work in the NHL is a two decade old trend. Having more guys who want to play in the corners and with defenders on their back are ideal.  It’s the guys who need space to do anything that fall apart  

Oh I guess your link says the same thing as I did, semantics about skating. Edgework is overrated if there’s no drive: case study Skinner

Edited by triumph_communes
  • Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, dudacek said:
  • Coachable
  • Skilled
  • good skater
  • Plays with pace
  • Upside
  • Winger
  • Shined at U18s
  • Not from the CHL

We have a thing 

But at least we apparently will pick Russians, so that’s something.

A bit of a reach relative to an average of the rankings, as well. I'd add that to the list, in fairness. 

From his hockeywriters profile: https://thehockeywriters.com/prokhor-poltapov-2021-nhl-draft-prospect-profile/

"Once the puck is on his stick in the defensive zone, he skates it forward with impressive confidence and will try to turn every defensive zone exit into an odd-man opportunity or a fast break up the ice."

I like this quality. Always be attacking. [Edit: Of course, his overconfidence could be his undoing and lead to lots of turnovers.]

Edited by DarthEbriate

Just now, Randall Flagg said:

Sabres fans on hf seem thrilled with this one 

I know a lot of stats really favor him. I always struggle with the Russians because it is hard to get much on them so I tend to leave them off instead of ranking them below where they should. Something to consider going forward. His MHL numbers are really solid. 

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

What's the catch? This kid looks insane 

He’s Russian.  I liked what I’ve seen/heard about this guy.

Also, I’m just glad they took a Russian guy.  The long standing aversion was ridiculous.  What’s next? A CHL player?  Excuse my while clutch my pearls!

1 minute ago, Rasmus_ said:

I like it, and it breaks the a curse that we thought would continue.  Chibrakov, next please!  Though I really like Stankoven if he falls.  Pinelli, still being on the board interesting too.

I don't think Stankoven makes it that far. Though...  we could package some of our numerous picks to move up some spots.

2 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

no. That's not how counting works. 2 years. That means 2021-2022 and 2022 -2023 before he is here. 

You don’t have to be an ass. To me if someone says a player will arrive in two years it means the second season from now.

• Like (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.