Sabres' options: Owen Power

LGR4GM

1 minute ago, Flashsabre said:

So, an example is an example.

I mean if Eichel stays and next year the Sabres win the lottery are they going to say “We have one good RHC so we shouldn’t take Shane Wright.”

Are we even eligible to win the lottery next year? Didn't they change the rules cuz you can only suck for so long before they say, "Screw you. You're on your own."

6 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

So, an example is an example.

I mean if Eichel stays and next year the Sabres win the lottery are they going to say “We have one good RHC so we shouldn’t take Shane Wright.”

50 years ago, NFL kickers ran straight at the ball and kicked it with their toe. Times change man.

2 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

So you can’t have more then one good LHD on your team now. Thanks, I think I get it.

What are you talking about?

i’m saying using an example from 50 years ago isn’t the best way to back up an argument.

4 hours ago, SwampD said:

Are we even eligible to win the lottery next year? Didn't they change the rules cuz you can only suck for so long before they say, "Screw you. You're on your own."

The 2 wins things doesn't kick in until 2022 draft.  Also, it's worth noting that it only applies to moving up through the lottery. Genuine last placed teams can keep their position after the lottery if that's how it falls. Does this mean more tanking??

"(Implemented starting in 2022) No single team will be able to advance in the Draft order by reason of winning a Lottery Draw more than two (2) times in any five (5) year period"

Quoted from https://www.si.com/hockey/news/which-recent-nhl-draft-lottery-outcomes-led-to-the-new-rule-changes

• Like (+1) 1

"[Power] is going to be a superstar hockey player," Canada coach Gerard Gallant said. "We all know he's got the talent and skill, but to see him do what he did at this level of hockey, as an 18-year-old ... he's obviously going to be drafted early in the first round. He's going to be outstanding."

3 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

"[Power] is going to be a superstar hockey player," Canada coach Gerard Gallant said. "We all know he's got the talent and skill, but to see him do what he did at this level of hockey, as an 18-year-old ... he's obviously going to be drafted early in the first round. He's going to be outstanding."

Headline:  GALLANT REFUSES TO SAY POWER WILL BE DRAFTED #1

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hoss said:

Gallant is overreacting and buying into the hype and needs to chill.

What did he say about Beniers who he also coached and was asked about... wait. 

This is why I'm calling you out. You lack perspective and are fawning to the point if I mention say,  Power and a tendency to have trouble at times making the right read or his forecheck needs work, you'll just toss out this and waive your arms about all the nice things being said. It isn't about him being bad or good, it's about your complete buy in that he's the greatest thing since Betty White. 

Again, Power is good but your hype train has reached ludicrous speed. 

Go Dark Helmet GIF

5 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

What did he say about Beniers who he also coached and was asked about... wait. 

This is why I'm calling you out. You lack perspective and are fawning to the point if I mention say,  Power and a tendency to have trouble at times making the right read or his forecheck needs work, you'll just toss out this and waive your arms about all the nice things being said. It isn't about him being bad or good, it's about your complete buy in that he's the greatest thing since Betty White. 

Again, Power is good but your hype train has reached ludicrous speed. 

Go Dark Helmet GIF

You’re overreacting to a couple days of posts.

12 hours ago, Hoss said:

Okay, so you’re just jumping through hoops to confirm your incorrect insecurity over where he lands on the immediate depth chart. Got it.

12 hours ago, Hoss said:

If you can’t understand the difference maybe I was too confident in your smarts.

11 hours ago, Hoss said:

You’re playing dumb, right? This is a really disappointing interaction.

2 hours ago, Hoss said:

22 minutes ago, Hoss said:

You’re overreacting to a couple days of posts.

I know you are but what am I! Literally the energy of this post last post.

I am going to stay away from you in the Power thread. You've made up your mind based on the 2 weeks you have looked at draft stuff. We can't even have a conversation without you going off or calling me stupid (before you pull semantics out, you say that I am playing dumb and you are not confident in my smarts). You call someone else insecure because they suggested Power might be lower on the depth chart initially than you think. It is just post after post of you being defensive about anyone questioning anything about Power. 

Power may not go first overall and that is reality. Will he? idk probably but it's about a 60/40 split or 70/30 on that at the moment. 

Enjoy the thread.

Edited by LGR4GM
spelling

12 hours ago, dudacek said:

Yep. To be clear, I agree that it would be disappointing to me as well to see Power ranked 3rd on our depth chart right now, not so much if McCabe was under contract.

That’s not the same as thinking it’s unusual, because Power is a boy, Samuelsson a man. Boys who can play in the top half of an NHL roster don’t come around all that often.

He could move up the depth chart quickly though. It is just hard to place him considering the depth on the left and the fact Samuelsson was also a high pick who has 3 years on him. Now Samuelsson and Power are not the same when it comes to the offensive side of things but we should realize that Samuelsson and Power are similar on the defensive side. I think Power is more agile though but they have some similarities in that they are both big  LHD. Samuelsson is 6'4" and also played college hockey. Power would overtake him on the depth chart for sure but it might just take a minute. Samuelsson will have had another offseason to train plus he has a full pro year under his belt and 2 NCAA seasons. Power has more skill for sure but Samuelsson is more ready and when he was away from Risto last year, he was actually decent. If I drafted Power and did not send him back to the NCAA, I would start him behind Samuelsson on the depth chart and make him eclipse him. How long that will take... no idea. Weeks, months, all season?

Just now, WildCard said:

Very nice vision. He looks slow tbh though

Scouts have noted he needs faster acceleration but he isn't slow. His stride is long and that makes him look slower than he is. Dahlin and Eichel suffer from this sometimes. 

I will note in that clip I want him to turn the legs over more. He generates so much power with his long limbs that he glides and has little pushes at times and I would love to see some more crossovers. 

One thing to note is how he protects the puck with his long reach. He turns his body away to shield and then keeps the puck away from defenders sticks. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

I know you are but what am I! Literally the energy of this post last post.

I am going to stay away from you in the Power thread. You've made up your mind based on the 2 weeks you have looked at draft stuff. We can't even have a conversation without you going off or calling me stupid (before you pull semantics out, you say that I am playing dumb and you are not confident in my smarts). You call someone else insecure because they suggested Power might be lower on the depth chart initially than you think. It is just post after post of you being defensive about anyone questioning anything about Power. 

Power may not go first overall and that is reality. Will he? idk probably but it's about a 60/40 split or 70/30 on that at the moment. 

Enjoy the thread.

I thinking more along the lines of 90% or higher.

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, Thorny said:

9-1 odds charity wager? lol

im only going to say no because if they draft Beniers, I don't want to be mad      

I think he is going to be a hell of a player and would be a tremendous pick if Power wasn't in the draft.

I will just admit that I was wrong if anyone but Power is the pick

5 hours ago, Hoss said:

I genuinely laughed at this.     

As if you know better than a veteran NHL head coach who personally coached the kid for the better part of a month. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.