GDT:Sabres at Rangers. 4/27/21 7pm MSG WGR550

Brawndo

3 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Could see an absolute outside shot at 8 points if the Pens are locked in or out of the playoffs.  But realistically they'll get about 3 more points out of these last 6.  (Especially if Tokarski or Hutton get a significant fraction of the remaining games.)

3 seems low. I think they go 2-3-1 to end the season. 

3 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

I think the Sabres pass Anaheim, they are losing every game 4-1. 

I think the six point deficit from Ottawa will be tougher with two games versus the Bruins, Isles and Penguins a piece 

Is possible on the Anaheim front.  Looks like a tie would give the Sabress the better lottery odds, as they have 9 RWs and the Sabres have 10; but ROW is what matters and the Ducks 4 OT W's give them 13 to the Sabres 10.

15 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Could see an absolute outside shot at 8 points if the Pens are locked in or out of the playoffs.  But realistically they'll get about 3 more points out of these last 6.  (Especially if Tokarski or Hutton get a significant fraction of the remaining games.)

Yes if it gets close and they want to ensure they don’t move higher than 30th... 2nd best odds.  They can always play the Hutton card 

• Haha (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Is possible on the Anaheim front.  Looks like a tie would give the Sabress the better lottery odds, as they have 9 RWs and the Sabres have 10; but ROW is what matters and the Ducks 4 OT W's give them 13 to the Sabres 10.

Tie breaker is now RW

• Thanks (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

They don't match up well against the Aisles. 0-2-0 is likely.

The B's will be out for bear after the last 1.  Maybe they get to OT in the other one.  0-1-1.

The Pens could be anything from a sweep against to their only sweep of the year.  1-1-0.

(Yes, the series aren't in order, they're in reverse order of likelihood of getting points.)

Maybe Luukkonnen steals them 2 extra points.  No faith in the Tokarski that found out he's actually Dustin Tokarski.  And this team almost always finds a way to not score when Hutton is in the net, if he really does come back before all is said & done.

Hoping they go 6-0-0.  But that's beyond crazy talk.

1 hour ago, drnkirishone said:

Cozens lose another fight?

Dude he’s a 19 year old kid playing against men.  He’s not a fighter but has the hockey IQ to step in where he needs.  I’ll be ok if he doesn’t demolish every guy he fights.  For the record, I thought he held his own. 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Jeez, not a lot of game talk in the thread. Seems like most of you were doing the dishes with it on the background.

I thought it was fast and exciting. We played hard, and mostly well. I underestimated the Rangers this year. They are a deep talented team that will stay good for a while.

I don't remember a pair of Sabres defencemen routinely snuffing plays the way Borgen and Samuelsson did tonight. I'm not talking the big hustle play to catch someone from behind, or the gutty shot block. I'm talking plain old competent ending an attack. Kakko is big guy and Will ragdolled him on the wall. And Samuelsson's play on Panarin of all people was gold. It's not bashing a guy for the sake of bashing. It was real defence, with competence, authority and purpose, from two guys who have combined for 15 NHL games. Loved it.

Offensively, it's so weird. When Jack first went down it felt like there was no point even even watching because no one on the roster would do anything remotely entertaining. Now it seems like someone is capable of doing something interesting every shift.

Cozens was out-of-sync tonight but managed to make an impact with his will and courage. Casey's got those jittery feet and hands. And Dahlin's puckhandling continues to be ridiculous.  Bryson and Joki will do risky things with the puck and get away with it. Even Skinner or Thompson will pull me up in my seat at times. (Sam continues to suck donkey balls. He's clearly given up on the season.)

I've enjoyed the past month more than any season closure in a while, even if the bar was pretty much resting on the floor. They aren't "good" but they are worth watching.

Six games left.  I'm going to be sad when it's over.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Jeez, not a lot of game talk in the thread. Seems like most of you were doing the dishes with it on the background.

I thought it was fast and exciting. We played hard, and mostly well. I underestimated the Rangers this year. They are a deep talented team that will stay good for a while.

I don't remember a pair of Sabres defencemen routinely snuffing plays the way Borgen and Samuelsson did tonight. I'm not talking the big hustle play to catch someone from behind, or the gutty shot block. I'm talking plain old competent ending an attack. Kakko is big guy and Will ragdolled him on the wall. And Samuelsson's play on Panarin of all people was gold. It's not bashing a guy for the sake of bashing. It was real defence, with competence, authority and purpose, from two guys who have combined for 15 NHL games. Loved it.

Offensively, it's so weird. When Jack first went down it felt like there was no point even even watching because no one on the roster would do anything remotely entertaining. Now it seems like someone is capable of doing something interesting every shift.

Cozens was out-of-sync tonight but managed to make an impact with his will and courage. Casey's got those jittery feet and hands. And Dahlin's puckhandling continues to be ridiculous.  Bryson and Joki will do risky things with the puck and get away with it. Even Skinner or Thompson will pull me up in my seat at times. (Sam continues to suck donkey balls. He's clearly given up on the season.)

I've enjoyed the past month more than any season closure in a while, even if the bar was pretty much resting on the floor. They aren't "good" but they are worth watching.

Well said. I hate this next statement I’m going to make mostly because it implies that things in this moment really suck but here goes. I haven’t been this excited for the future in about a decade. We have some really good pieces at pretty much all positions and the youth movement is going to be fun to watch. Despite the losses I’ve enjoyed the hockey Since RK was let go. Add Eichel , McCabe and a quality goaltender and we be hanging right in there with these teams. Playoffs ? Not sure yet but with a few smart moves the sky’s the limit.

• Like (+1) 3

8 hours ago, inkman said:

Dude he’s a 19 year old kid playing against men.  He’s not a fighter but has the hockey IQ to step in where he needs.  I’ll be ok if he doesn’t demolish every guy he fights.  For the record, I thought he held his own. 

Would like to see us add a player of some use who can also fight when needed...I love Dylan but he should not be the only one fighting. We need him ON the ice not off! We need someone just like this...

https://www.facebook.com/BuffaloSabresCupCrazy2014/photos/gm.1426211811047350/3854222444614014/

10 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

...and I don't care.

46 minutes ago, Sabre fan said:

Would like to see us add a player of some use who can also fight when needed...I love Dylan but he should not be the only one fighting. We need him ON the ice not off! We need someone just like this...

https://www.facebook.com/BuffaloSabresCupCrazy2014/photos/gm.1426211811047350/3854222444614014/

Not visible to people outside the group.

• SDS unpinned this topic
9 hours ago, Gatorman0519 said:

The Sabres are not catching Ottawa or NJ. Anaheim has 3 games against a bad LA team and St Louis which is not good. Minny will kill them.  It will be close. I hope they win and the Sabres win a few to lock us into top 3. 

I'm truly lazy. As I'm sure others here are. Would you mind laying out how the draft works this year?

10 hours ago, dudacek said:

Everyone, even the diest of diehards, knows what this is. Well, almost everyone. God love ya!

11 hours ago, dudacek said:

I agree with most of your commentary except for your belief that Sam has checked out. Sam's personality and style of play can be described as even keeled. It shouldn't be mistaken for disinterested play. 

What I found encouraging as you went through the list of young players is that they all still have plenty of upside. They are keeping up against good teams but unsurprisingly have lapses that come back to cost them. The more they play the more consistent they will be. Experience is the best teacher and at times it can be painful. 

I thought UPL played well. He didn't scramble and was composed throughout. Having good goaltending is such a stabilizing factor. 

While I'm encouraged about the youngsters and the better quality of play since the coaching change I'm ready for the season to finish. The blueprint for this team of building from within has been established. It just a question of having the will and fortitude to see it through. 

Edited by JohnC
  • Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I agree with most of your commentary except for your belief that Sam has checked out. Sam's personality and style of play can be described as even keeled. It shouldn't be mistaken for disinterested play.

Sarcasm warning system failed again.

I don't think anyone watching with an ounce of hockey sense could say Sam has checked out. He's scoring goals at a rate not seen here since the first months of Jeff Skinner and is in charge out there. It might be the best stretch of hockey of his career.

I've always wanted to see him away from Eichel for a while to force him to be the focus of the line instead of the foil. We're seeing that now and it's working.

10/5/15/-1 in his past 16 games.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I don't think anyone watching with an ounce of hockey sense could say Sam has checked out. He's scoring goals at a rate not seen here since the first months of Jeff Skinner and is in charge out there. It might be the best stretch of hockey of his career.

I've always wanted to see him away from Eichel for a while to force him to be the focus of the line instead of the foil. We're seeing that now and it's working.

Reinhart slaying narratives up in here. "He can't play center" proceeds to play center like a boss. "He can't produce away from Eichel" proceeds to produce more away from Eichel. "He can't drive his own line" proceeds to drive his own line. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 3

Just now, dudacek said:

It's often difficult to discern sarcasm from a text. Especially for someone who is as thickheaded as I am. Basically, you and I are in accord regarding Sam. I still worry about him desiring a change of scenery because the constant losing can be dispiriting. He's very underappreciated. This player with a subtle and nuanced game is a glue guy. 

One other thought about this game" If Skinner for the most part he can regain his scoring touch it would be like adding an impact free agent to the roster next year. He is moving well and the effort is there. He just isn't converting. I not only don't consider him a lost cause as much as I see him as a piece to the puzzle. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Reinhart slaying narratives up in here. "He can't play center" proceeds to play center like a boss. "He can't produce away from Eichel" proceeds to produce more away from Eichel. "He can't drive his own line" proceeds to drive his own line. 

Faceoffs: 50% last night, 89% the game before, 50% the one before that, 55% before that...

And he fell down twice in the process of scoring goals recently. 😁

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Sabre fan said:

Completely agree.  They need more players that know when to throw em and can do an admirable job. Plug those guys into your Eakin, Sheahan, Reider roles.  Or even better, get someone good at hockey and fighting. 

18 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Faceoffs: 50% last night, 89% the game before, 50% the one before that, 55% before that...

And he fell down twice in the process of scoring goals recently. 😁

But what was his post game presser like?  Did he tude it up with local jackasses like usual or was he like a cuddley teddy bear? 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, inkman said:

Completely agree.  They need more players that know when to throw em and can do an admirable job. Plug those guys into your Eakin, Sheahan, Reider roles.  Or even better, get someone good at hockey and fighting. 

But what was his post game presser like?  Did he tude it up with local jackasses like usual or was he like a cuddley teddy bear? 

Perfect scenario IMO replace the three mentioned with players that hit, grind and can fight as needed but also score goals and contribute.

A true shutdown type fourth line for those long playoff runs. 

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

I don't think that the issue about Sam being able to play center is an issue any longer. He clearly has demonstrated that he can. The more difficult issue is whether it would be more advantageous for the team for him to play on the Jack line with Mitts and Cozens playing center on the second and third line. If he moves to the Jack line will our first line become a top tier first line in the league? I think so. 

I have heard Granato talk about Sam and his play and his exceptional vision and feel for the game. Its seems that he prefers Sam as a center. But if he centers his own line then does that mean that Mitts or Cozens will not maximize their abilities if moved to the wing position. 

On the issue of where to slot Sam and the other players currently playing center it is an open question for me. I'm just not sure. On the positive side I rather have an excess of talent and make some tough decisions than have a limited number of talent and make do with what you got. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I don't think that the issue about Sam being able to play center is an issue any longer. He clearly has demonstrated that he can. The more difficult issue is whether it would be more advantageous for the team for him to play on the Jack line with Mitts and Cozens playing center on the second and third line. If he moves to the Jack line will our first line become a top tier first line in the league? I think so. 

I have heard Granato talk about Sam and his play and his exceptional vision and feel for the game. Its seems that he prefers Sam as a center. But if he centers his own line then does that mean that Mitts or Cozens will not maximize their abilities if moved to the wing position. 

On the issue of where to slot Sam and the other players currently playing center it is an open question for me. I'm just not sure. On the positive side I rather have an excess of talent and make some tough decisions than have a limited number of talent and make do with what you got. 

Step 1: Move Cozens to RW.

Step 2: Draft Beniers.

Step 3:Profit

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.