GDT:Sabres at Rangers. 4/27/21 7pm MSG WGR550

Brawndo

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Reinhart slaying narratives up in here. "He can't play center" proceeds to play center like a boss. "He can't produce away from Eichel" proceeds to produce more away from Eichel. "He can't drive his own line" proceeds to drive his own line. 

I’m not convinced Sam is more valuable to us at center, especially when Jack returns (if?), but he absolutely can play center.  I still think Pat Sharp is the right comparable, who also could play center when needed.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

I'm truly lazy. As I'm sure others here are. Would you mind laying out how the draft works this year?

Everyone, even the diest of diehards, knows what this is. Well, almost everyone. God love ya!

Only the top 2 spots are going to be determined by a lottery. There will be a drawing for first and a drawing for second. So, only two teams can potentially “move up” therefore at most any one team can “fall” 2 spots.

In addition, Seattle enters into the lottery seeded in the 3rd spot from the bottom (3rd best odds of winning). Therefore the team with the 3rd worst record this season enters into the lottery with the 4th best odds of winning it.

A team cannot move up more than 10 spots 

• Thanks (+1) 1

An interesting note but not relevant to this draft is that starting next year, no team will be permitted to “win” a drawing more than twice in a 5 year span. 

I believe the record keeping for that begins next season, ie the results from this year and before don’t factor into the 5 year window 

1 hour ago, Weave said:

I’m not convinced Sam is more valuable to us at center, especially when Jack returns (if?), but he absolutely can play center.  I still think Pat Sharp is the right comparable, who also could play center when needed.

It's an interesting question.

There is no doubt the Sam we've seen over the past month is the best option for 2C on the franchise. He's about to finish the most productive month by a Sabre centre not named Jack Eichel in a decade. Yes, better than any month recorded by O'Reilly.

Dylan Cozens has gone 14 straight games without a goal and has 1 in his past 23. He will get better, but over the year, he's produced at under a 30-point pace. Casey Mittelstadt's numbers are damn good this past month — ROR level, but are we really OK starting next year with him as our 2C given what he did prior to April? Sam's track record at centre is short too, but he's a proven NHL first-liner who has played some of his best hockey since being moved to centre.

My personal opinion is 2C is probably the 4th-most important role on the team after 1C, 1D and starting goalie.

Sam is our 2nd-best forward. Pending other line-up changes, he starts next year at 2C for me.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, dudacek said:

It's an interesting question.

There is no doubt the Sam we've seen over the past month is the best option for 2C on the franchise. He's about to finish the most productive month by a Sabre centre not named Jack Eichel in a decade. Yes, better than any month recorded by O'Reilly.

Dylan Cozens has gone 14 straight games without a goal and has 1 in his past 23. He will get better, but over the year, he's produced at under a 30-point pace. Casey Mittelstadt's numbers are damn good this past month — ROR level, but are we really OK starting next year with him as our 2C given what he did prior to April? Sam's track record at centre is short too, but he's a proven NHL first-liner who has played some of his best hockey since being moved to centre.

My personal opinion is 2C is probably the 4th-most important role on the team after 1C, 1D and starting goalie.

Sam is our 2nd-best forward. Pending other line-up changes, he starts next year at 2C for me.

Good points

For me though it would depend on whether there's a bigger drop-off from Reinhart to Mittelstadt/Cozens at 2C than there was from 1RW being filled by Reinhart to 1RW being filled by...whoever is there. 

The significant extent to which Reinhart helps facilitate Eichel's game cannot be understated. And I'd be shocked if the former glory of the Eichel-Skinner combination can be reignited without Sam with them. 

2C IS the second most important forward spot, but this might be a rare case where Reinhart is actually more valuable ensuring the one more important position, 1C, is properly functioning, especially if it's also jumpstarting another key 9 million dollar player. 

It may blow up but I really think we need to try Skinner - Eichel - Reinhart before any other top line combo

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Step 1: Move Cozens to RW.

Step 2: Draft Beniers.

Step 3:Profit

I think that that Cozens can become our #2C or, if not, our established #3C next year.  He and Mitts will be vying for those positions.  I have high expectations for this young and precocious Alaskan. His development will be on a much higher pace than Mitts. He came into the pro ranks already being more than his years would suggest. 

Edited by JohnC

Just now, JohnC said:

I think that that Cozens can become our #2C or, if not, our #3C next year.  He and Mitts will be vying for those positions.  I have high expectations for this young and precocious Alaskan. His development will be on a much higher pace than Mitts. He came into the pro ranks already being more than his years would suggest. 

I'm not normally this guy, but as a fellow Canadian to Cozens, this absolutely needs to stop lol

2 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I think that that Cozens can become our #2C or, if not, our established #3C next year.  He and Mitts will be vying for those positions.  I have high expectations for this young and precocious Alaskan. His development will be on a much higher pace than Mitts. He came into the pro ranks already being more than his years would suggest. 

Who's from Alaska?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.