Jack Eichel: Trade rumors and speculation

LGR4GM

Couple thoughts, the team's most interested in John are most certainly on his allowed list... ANA, LAK, VGK, NYR.   So the NMC really doesn't impact his trade value IMO.

His career is at a crossroads... He can choose the red pill or the blue pill.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

Couple thoughts, the team's most interested in John are most certainly on his allowed list... ANA, LAK, VGK, NYR.   So the NMC really doesn't impact his trade value IMO.

His career is at a crossroads... He can choose the red pill or the blue pill.

If his NMC is 8 teams, I wound doubt most of those teams are on the list. 

Edited by Andrew Amerk

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

Odds are if Jack heals and gets back on the ice and plays at the level that we have seen him play his trade value increases. On the other hand there is another side to this situation: If he regains his form this Granato coached team because a much better team. You don't think the coach wouldn't want that? The core of Jack's disgruntlement is that he intensely wants to win. And playing for the Sabres has not afforded him that opportunity. It's easy to understand why he is dissatisfied with his situation. 

There are plenty of people who say that he lacks leadership. Well maybe in a classical hockey sense (compared to a player like Okposo)  that is a fair description of him but there are other ways to demonstrate it. He does it through his play. Without question he plays hard, and offensively he is one of the more productive players in the league.  At a different level that represents leadership on the ice through his prolific production. 

If the GM decides to move him he should only do it if the return is commensurate for a top tier player in this league. That means a lot in return! If not, then keep him and do everything you can and as fast as you can to give him more support. My point is don't preclude keeping him if that is the best option. 

He doesn’t want to stay.  He didn’t give Granato the time of day last year.  He was asked last season to come back to Buffalo to be with his team.  He could have done some of his rehab here.  He stayed away.  Then he didn’t say one thing about Granato and the team in his end of season interview.   He is done.  

The people who say he lacks leadership are correct.  Even when he plays at a high level his leadership by example, or by production, has not worked.  

Of course he should ONLY be traded if we get proper value.  The injury question was preventing that.  Once he becomes a tradeable commodity it’s time to move on.  

• Like (+1) 5
  • Skeptical 1

2 hours ago, Andrew Amerk said:

John controls his trade destiny as soon as that NMC kicks in. 

Pretty sure there will be multiple teams interested in Eichel that he wouldn't mind going to. If he is healthy and Adams wants to trade him, I really don't see the NMC as a huge issue. He'll be easy to trade if he's back to his normal skill level, and he if really wants to leave, he won't hinder a trade.

1 hour ago, Pimlach said:

He doesn’t want to stay.  He didn’t give Granato the time of day last year.  He was asked last season to come back to Buffalo to be with his team.  He could have done some of his rehab here.  He stayed away.  Then he didn’t say one thing about Granato and the team in his end of season interview.   He is done.  

The people who say he lacks leadership are correct.  Even when he plays at a high level his leadership by example, or by production, has not worked.  

Of course he should ONLY be traded if we get proper value.  The injury question was preventing that.  Once he becomes a tradeable commodity it’s time to move on.  

I hate to agree with you on this, but you are correct. But I still don't see a trade helping us that much and it will probably hurt us.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Curt said:

And I don’t believe that Eichel will want to be a Sabre through a 3 year rebuild.  I think he will want out, and I think the Sabres already know that he wants out.

Funny thing about that.  He signed a piece of paper making him a very well paid indentured servant for 8 years, so I really don't care what John wants.  And sure he could make the dressing room toxic but he knows that won't help his cause any.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Meh 1

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

Did NS give us John? It's one of the greatest things we've ever had.

It's one of the dumbest, especially since the person they are trying to insult would never read anything that is written here. It's dumb for 10 year olds, let alone adults.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Curt said:

He is gone, healthy or not, I think.  KA decided as much before he was even injured.

I feel very confident that if he is a Sabre through next July, he would be demanding a trade after his NMC kicks in and the Sabres would be forced into a bad trade with almost no leverage.  That’s why I would me interested in trading him now.

What do you mean by the bolded?  What is it that everyone here would also do if in his shoes?

I mean if I'm Jack l would leave to 

Buffalo had every ***** opportunity to go out and make this team a playoff team instead they said ***** it let it ride . 

I can't  Believe We just chased out a franchise center 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Doohickie said:

Funny thing about that.  He signed a piece of paper making him a very well paid indentured servant for 8 years, so I really don't care what John wants.  And sure he could make the dressing room toxic but he knows that won't help his cause any.

See the rest of that same post.  I think this is an overly simplistic way of looking at it.  Just the fact of everyone knowing that Eichel wants to leave would hinder team development.  How can young guys go to the rink everyday and think “we are all in this together, we’re a team”, when the look across the locker room at their captain and best player, and they know that guy wants off the team.

• Like (+1) 3

Theoretical: Jack ends up getting surgery and is out the season. The team plays well, but the goaltending lets us down and we finished around the bottom of the league, add one of the top 3 forward prospects, then actually get a starting caliber goalie on the team. Jack agrees to give it a shot and we have mitts and Cozens, proven top 6 players at this point, R2 playing a solid 3C, Quinn playing well after he comes up partway through, Thompson and asplund playing like good top 6ers, Skinner getting some of his game back with granato, and a full pipeline, along with power, Dahlin, and joki rounding most of a excellent top 4, with a deep backend on the left side. All this along with a brinks truck worth of cap space to add to our team. 

Eichel agrees to give it a shot and they  contend for playoffs the next year, and then go deep the year after with more development.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

1 hour ago, sabresparaavida said:

Theoretical: Jack ends up getting surgery and is out the season. The team plays well, but the goaltending lets us down and we finished around the bottom of the league, add one of the top 3 forward prospects, then actually get a starting caliber goalie on the team. Jack agrees to give it a shot and we have mitts and Cozens, proven top 6 players at this point, R2 playing a solid 3C, Quinn playing well after he comes up partway through, Thompson and asplund playing like good top 6ers, Skinner getting some of his game back with granato, and a full pipeline, along with power, Dahlin, and joki rounding most of a excellent top 4, with a deep backend on the left side. All this along with a brinks truck worth of cap space to add to our team. 

Eichel agrees to give it a shot and they  contend for playoffs the next year, and then go deep the year after with more development.

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e473ywjrttr3stycv1nrg

• Haha (+1) 7

8 hours ago, Pimlach said:

Everything you say is about the past. What if the situation changes and there is a changing of attitude from the player and the organization? Those who act as if all the fault of this deteriorated relationship is due to the player are not accounting for the half generation of dysfunction coming from this befuddled organization. How could it not be understood why player/s would want to escape such a losing and chaotic situation?

What I object to is this mischaracterization of Jack as if he is a bad guy and a cancer in the room. Nothing is further from the truth. He gets along with his teammates. What you haven't heard during this extended interlude is any of his teammates anonymously criticizing him. That is telling. Has he been the best captain? No. But there is a legitimate question as to why a young player should have been bestowed with that responsibility when he wasn't ready for it. Again, another one of the organization's long list of mistakes. 

It is more likely than not that when he gets healthy he will be dealt. And if dealt it would be a blunder to trade him unless there is a maximum return  The point I'm making is that it would be wise to keep the retention option open. 

• Like (+1) 3

9 hours ago, klos1963 said:

Pretty sure there will be multiple teams interested in Eichel that he wouldn't mind going to. If he is healthy and Adams wants to trade him, I really don't see the NMC as a huge issue. He'll be easy to trade if he's back to his normal skill level, and he if really wants to leave, he won't hinder a trade.

I hate to agree with you on this, but you are correct. But I still don't see a trade helping us that much and it will probably hurt us.

You hate to agree with me?   If a trade doesn’t help us then you don’t make it.   

4 hours ago, sabresparaavida said:

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

Everything you say is about the past. What if the situation changes and there is a changing of attitude from the player and the organization? Those who act as if all the fault of this deteriorated relationship is due to the player are not accounting for the half generation of dysfunction coming from this befuddled organization. How could it not be understood why player/s would want to escape such a losing and chaotic situation?

What I object to is this mischaracterization of Jack as if he is a bad guy and a cancer in the room. Nothing is further from the truth. He gets along with his teammates. What you haven't heard during this extended interlude is any of his teammates anonymously criticizing him. That is telling. Has he been the best captain? No. But there is a legitimate question as to why a young player should have been bestowed with that responsibility when he wasn't ready for it. Again, another one of the organization's long list of mistakes. 

It is more likely than not that when he gets healthy he will be dealt. And if dealt it would be a blunder to trade him unless there is a maximum return  The point I'm making is that it would be wise to keep the retention option open. 

Sure, KA will retain him if he can’t get reasonable value. No one wants to give him away for nothing.  KA should not take responsibility for the past, he was not part of it, but Eichel was.  

That bit about his influence in the locker room and being a cancer is out there.  You may think it is a mischaracterization but it’s out there somehow.  

• Haha (+1) 1

Sure, KA will retain him if he can’t get reasonable value. No one wants to give him away for nothing.  KA should not take responsibility for the past, he was not part of it, but Eichel was.  

That bit about his influence in the locker room and being a cancer is out there.  You may think it is a mischaracterization but it’s out there somehow.  

Just because it is out there doesn't mean that it is true. The best player on the team is a competitive person who desperately wants to win. There is no doubt that he has exhibited his frustration with this long-term franchise malaise. Do you think that he was the only player exasperated with the organizational dysfunction and constant losing? So were Reinhart, Risto and unnamed other players. Reinhart was dealt because of his impending UFA status and his refusal to contractually to commit to the team. So trading him made sense. But Jack is in a different situation in that he is contractually locked up for the long-term. As poisonous as the situation may seem now there is plenty of time to see if this relationship can be salvaged. 

Don't misconstrue my position on Jack. If the organization can make a bonanza deal for him I would be all for it. But if not, then wait until he heals and see exactly where things stand at that later point. 

• Like (+1) 1

You hate to agree with me?   If a trade doesn’t help us then you don’t make it.   

My meaning is that I wish things worked out and Eichel would stay here, also that any trade we make likely won't help us as much as we need it too.

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, JohnC said:

Odds are if Jack heals and gets back on the ice and plays at the level that we have seen him play his trade value increases. On the other hand there is another side to this situation: If he regains his form this Granato coached team because a much better team. You don't think the coach wouldn't want that? The core of Jack's disgruntlement is that he intensely wants to win. And playing for the Sabres has not afforded him that opportunity. It's easy to understand why he is dissatisfied with his situation. 

There are plenty of people who say that he lacks leadership. Well maybe in a classical hockey sense (compared to a player like Okposo)  that is a fair description of him but there are other ways to demonstrate it. He does it through his play. Without question he plays hard, and offensively he is one of the more productive players in the league.  At a different level that represents leadership on the ice through his prolific production. 

If the GM decides to move him he should only do it if the return is commensurate for a top tier player in this league. That means a lot in return! If not, then keep him and do everything you can and as fast as you can to give him more support. My point is don't preclude keeping him if that is the best option. 

It all depends if Eichel is done with the Sabres in his mind. Maybe Granato can give him his "love of the game" back? I doubt it will happen but I wouldn't say no to happy Jack sticking around if he buys in to the new regime.

• Like (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

It all depends if Eichel is done with the Sabres in his mind. Maybe Granato can give him his "love of the game" back? I doubt it will happen but I wouldn't say no to happy Jack sticking around if he buys in to the new regime.

Yeah, that would be nice, but morale is a personal choice and if a player chooses not to be part of the solution as has been demonstrated by several of the TM era tank and rebuild, including Johnny, then it’s an impossible task for any coach. Johnny wants out. Tanking for him didn’t work out. Time to move on. 

• Like (+1) 1