Jack Eichel: Trade rumors and speculation

LGR4GM

3 hours ago, dudacek said:

Two middle six players (and I like Tuch) and two B prospects is straying into ROR territory.

Only XGMJB thought Berglund and Sobotka were middle-6. I did not see anyone who watched the Blues claim that they were anything other than low-level players -- 3rd or maybe 4th line for Berglund and healthy scratch for Sobotka.  ROR territory is a passable roster player, a piece of roster flotsam or jetsam, a mediocre prospect, and a couple of magic beans.

Edited by Marvin, Sabres Fan

7 minutes ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

Only XGMJB thought Berglund and Sobotka were middle-6. I did not see anyone who watched the Blues claim that they were anything other than low-level players -- 3rd or maybe 4th line for Berglund and healthy scratch for Sobotka.  ROR territory is a passable roster player, a piece of roster flotsam or jetsam, AN ALL POWERFUL OMNIPOTENT UNGULATE DEITY, and a couple of magic beans.

FTFY

africa wink GIF

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Doohickie said:

The Bills had done most of their rebuild before Josh arrived. Now they're tinkering to perfect the formula.  Jack came into an empty lot where there was a house fire and the house had just been torn down.

When the new McDermott regime took over they had a plan right from the start and went on to resolutely implement it. With the hockey operation there have been so many different coaches and GMs that the rebuilding plan has constantly changed. Because of the instability in staffing and changes in philosophy there was no single plan to follow. There was a pattern of lurching forward and then starting over. That was a major difference between the football and hockey operations. 

I agree with you that Jack entered a dilapidated hockey house. But last year in Jack's fourth or fifth year the Sabres ended the season with the worst record in hockey. I'm aware that Jack was hurt last year but not only has there been little progress during Jack's career but there has been little meaningful progress over the past decade of the Pegulas' reign. That is a freaking pathetic record!  And it shouldn't be a surprise as to why Jack, Samson and even Risto (among others) are exasperated and fatigued by this franchise's hideous ineptitude. 

I'm hoping that under KA things will positively change. 

Edited by JohnC
  • Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, I-90 W said:

Agreed, and it’s a shame really. What’s even more perplexing is that there are those here who see nothing wrong with it. There was a time when breaking one’s own word was seen as a negative, particularly a written contract. If these players want to have a Walt Disney chase your dreams/ YOLO attitude, then they shouldn’t be signing 10 year contracts. 

This is the stupidest ***** and a great example of how propaganda works. Stop holding players to contracts they sign but not teams.

• Thanks (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Hoss said:

This is the stupidest ***** and a great example of how propaganda works. Stop holding players to contracts they sign but not teams.

I’m a tad unsure what you mean, the teams have to pay their salaries regardless how they play.

the Sabres haven’t been very good but they aren’t withholding Eichel’s money because of their poor performance. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

3 hours ago, I-90 W said:

Agreed, and it’s a shame really. What’s even more perplexing is that there are those here who see nothing wrong with it. There was a time when breaking one’s own word was seen as a negative, particularly a written contract. If these players want to have a Walt Disney chase your dreams/ YOLO attitude, then they shouldn’t be signing 10 year contracts. 

When Jack refuses to show up for camp then he's broken his word. 

Ppl are really buying into the "want to be here" garbage they are pushing. Players want to win so guys who've been on this merry-go-round of terrible ownership want off. The contract comes with verbal assurance of building a cup team... we can't even build a playoff team. 

I don't blame eichel, I blame the Pegulas for being bad owners. They did this, not Eichel. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

I’m a tad unsure what you mean, the teams have to pay their salaries regardless how they play.

the Sabres haven’t been very good but they aren’t withholding Eichel’s money because of their poor performance. 

Teams constantly trade players while on contracts they sign. They do so often without the player having any inkling it’s coming. Players should be allowed some control over their own lives and I see no problem with them taking control over it.

40 minutes ago, Hoss said:

That was a bit dramatic, settle down. Teams write the contracts and thus are in more of a position of power. The contract writer is always in a position of power, that’s part of adult life. 

Edited by I-90 W
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

Only XGMJB thought Berglund and Sobotka were middle-6. I did not see anyone who watched the Blues claim that they were anything other than low-level players -- 3rd or maybe 4th line for Berglund and healthy scratch for Sobotka.  ROR territory is a passable roster player, a piece of roster flotsam or jetsam, a mediocre prospect, and a couple of magic beans.

Nobody disputing this turned out to be an awful trade for the Sabres BUT a year earlier both Sobotka and Berglund were on the Blues protected list for the Vegas expansion draft. So it wasn't just XGMJB that thought they were still useful and middle 6 players. Jake Allen was their protected GK.

• Like (+1) 2

30 minutes ago, Hoss said:

Teams constantly trade players while on contracts they sign. They do so often without the player having any inkling it’s coming. Players should be allowed some control over their own lives and I see no problem with them taking control over it.

Then get a NTC of some kind. Plus it’s part of the business; they get paid oodles of money to play a game. The downside is the fact your unlikely “safe” to stay in one place for your entire career. 

Id rather players not get blindsided by a deal but it’s hard to have too much sympathy for players that have enough money to own 10 homes if they wanted too.

8 hours ago, Thorny said:

How does this era look in terms of the common practice of GMs looking to bail on their star players? 

This is *GM* initiated 

Why are we pretending Jack asked out when he has not? 

Nobody knows what really happens behind closed doors in Sabreland. The Black Widow probably had something to do with it...she always does.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, Hoss said:

1 hour ago, Hoss said:

Disclaimer:  my comments have nothing to do with Eichel.  

Your comments above, while not directed at me, are pretty harsh.  

Consider for a moment a league with full free agency and NMC’s.   I think you would have a handful of contenders and about 25 teams destined for mediocrity.  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Consider for a moment a league with full free agency and NMC’s.   I think you would have a handful of contenders and about 25 teams destined for mediocrity.  

The NBA

• Like (+1) 2

35 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

Then get a NTC of some kind. Plus it’s part of the business; they get paid oodles of money to play a game. The downside is the fact your unlikely “safe” to stay in one place for your entire career. 

Id rather players not get blindsided by a deal but it’s hard to have too much sympathy for players that have enough money to own 10 homes if they wanted too.

The teams get paid oodles of money to manage a game. Stop sucking off the rich and realize both sides have power and justly should.

1 hour ago, I-90 W said:

That was a bit dramatic, settle down. Teams write the contracts and thus are in more of a position of power. The contract writer is always in a position of power, that’s part of adult life. 

See above.

11 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

I understand your sentiment but I have a different perspective. Under the current system where teams mostly control players the Sabres have been not only bad but also boring for a decade. What's outrageous is a cap system exists where high revenue teams can't steamroll the lower revenue teams because they have to stay within the cap limits like everyone else. The system is designed for parity. There is no question that there are extremely smart organizations that are exceptional at accumulating talent. And there is no question that there are a number of inept organizations that don't know how to assess talent and build rosters. In some  ways the better run organizations are disadvantaged because of their ability to evaluate and accumulate talent. Under the current system these well run organizations can't retain all the talent they have assembled because with expiring contracts it is difficult to do and stay within the cap. 

Carolina is certainly not a high revenue franchise. But they have been consistently competitive because they are a well run operation. The owners of the Sabres deserve a lot of criticisms but it not due to a lack of adequately financing the operation. The extended failure of the Sabres is mostly due to bad decisions. The problem isn't that the rich get ahead at the expense of the less resourced teams. The source of the team's failure is that for a long time this dumbly run franchise has gotten even dumber in running the franchise. 

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

I understand your sentiment but I have a different perspective. Under the current system where teams mostly control players the Sabres have been not only bad but also boring for a decade. What's outrageous is a cap system exists where high revenue teams can't steamroll the lower revenue teams because they have to stay within the cap limits like everyone else. The system is designed for parity. There is no question that there are extremely smart organizations that are exceptional at accumulating talent. And there is no question that there are a number of inept organizations that don't know how to assess talent and build rosters. In some  ways the better run organizations are disadvantaged because of their ability to evaluate and accumulate talent. Under the current system these well run organizations can't retain all the talent they have assembled because with expiring contracts it is difficult to do and stay within the cap. 

Carolina is certainly not a high revenue franchise. But they have been consistently competitive because they are a well run operation. The owners of the Sabres deserve a lot of criticisms but it not due to a lack of adequately financing the operation. The extended failure of the Sabres is mostly due to bad decisions. The problem isn't that the rich get ahead at the expense of the less resourced teams. The source of the team's failure is that for a long time this dumbly run franchise has gotten even dumber in running the franchise. 

I think we have the same perspective. The current system is designed with parity in mind and helps to allow weaker teams to get better.  Strong teams have a difficult time maintaining the highest levels of excellence.  I get it.  

The Sabres past ten years are an anomaly not seen since the days of the California Golden Seals.  The Sabres are an outlier and the onus falls on Ownership and their inability to find the right people to run the team.  

My comments were about what happens if contracts are not binding.   Players can move at will or everyone is a free agent.  We would have a 6 team league of contenders and nothing else.  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 4

4 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

I think we have the same perspective. The current system is designed with parity in mind and helps to allow weaker teams to get better.  Strong teams have a difficult time maintaining the highest levels of excellence.  I get it.  

The Sabres past ten years are an anomaly not seen since the days of the California Golden Seals.  The Sabres are an outlier and the onus falls on Ownership and their inability to find the right people to run the team.  

My comments were about what happens contracts if are not binding.   Players can move at will or everyone is a free agent.  We would have a 6 team league of contenders and nothing else.  

Regarding the highlighted segment the NBA is getting to the point there where the star players are now forcing their way out of the smaller markets and gravitating toward the bigger markets and joining other star players who actively recruited them. This happened with LeBron recruiting Davis from New Orleans and Irving recruiting Durant and Harden. And it should be noted that all this movement is happening with players who have contracts. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hoss said:

The teams get paid oodles of money to manage a game. Stop sucking off the rich and realize both sides have power and justly should.

Don't really care about the owners either; I care about myself and fellow fans like myself. We want our team to be great and our team to win and anything that gets in the way of that is a negative.

If an Eichel trade doesn't work out, I see him being a model citizen.   He'll show up for camp, train, buy in.. etc.   He's not going to grenade his own career out of spite.

He's not that guy.

Edited by pi2000
  • Like (+1) 8
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, thewookie1 said:

Don't really care about the owners either; I care about myself and fellow fans like myself. We want our team to be great and our team to win and anything that gets in the way of that is a negative.

Your teams’ owners have gotten in the way more than the players. That I’m sure of.

7 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

If an Eichel trade doesn't work out, I see him being a model citizen.   He'll show up for camp, train, buy in.. etc.   He's not going to grenade his own career out of spite.

He's not that guy.

I think this is definitely true for the upcoming season. He might play the injury up and not play immediately but otherwise I expect to see him playing for this team if a trade doesn’t materialize or if Adams decides the marker isn’t what he likes.

1 minute ago, Derrico said:

Sabres still have all of the leverage.

Yep.

I've been saying this from day one.   Don't trade him unless you get a screaming deal.   Don't care if he wants to be here or not... too bad so sad... nobody feels bad for him earning $10mil to play a game.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thanks (+1) 1

4 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

Owners impact the team far more than Jack Eichel ever could.  If you can't see that, I'm sorry.  

The question every Sabres fan needs to ask is why does Jack want out?  Because it'd be one thing if he was the lone voice of dissent, but with Reinhart making the same request, something systemic is wrong.  If the Sabres are to move forward, that problem must be addressed.  Without it, the same problems will continue.

• Like (+1) 3