Jack Eichel: Trade rumors and speculation

LGR4GM

34 minutes ago, spndnchz said:

He does not have a choice. 

33 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Who?

Eichel. 

The Sabres could play hardball and tell Him you signed an Eight Year Deal, there are Five Years remaining on that deal and You will remain a Sabre until we get a return we feel is worthy of a player of your status.

If you choose not to report next season, you will be placed on the suspension list and not get paid. 

If you choose to get the surgery and cannot finish your career, Your Contract will be voided. 

You best option Jack is to rehab, start the season healthy, play to Your Potential and prove to the league You Are Indeed Healthy and then we will move you ASAP.

On the flip side There are rumblings about the Toxic Locker room Culture and His Contributions to it. 

Getting to this point with the Sabres and Eichel was inevitable since July 1st, 2018. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Hoss said:

No, not even a little bit. You’re giving up the two best assets in the trade.

Do you think very highly of Rakell? That may be why you’re feeling the value in your deal is right but I’d implore you to look at his age and production.

Hes not that old and played on a horrendous ducks team with no other players the last two years. He'll bounce back into being a top sixer in his prime easy.

I guess I just don't view it as giving up two assets, I'm just changing one into a pick 2 spots lower to try and get more back. If we could get even more on top of that then all the better - switch Comtois with Drysdale? That seems like robbery on our part given Eichel's condition 

19 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

On the flip side There are rumblings about the Toxic Locker room Culture and His Contributions to it. 

This was supposedly a sure thing with someone else a few years back and he immediately won the cup and Smythe. This stuff is always going to be whispered about when it's time to move on from someone. It was nonexistent until this point. It's nothing and garbage until proven otherwise 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

This was supposedly a sure thing with someone else a few years back and he immediately won the cup and Smythe. This stuff is always going to be whispered about when it's time to move on from someone. It was nonexistent until this point. It's nothing and garbage until proven otherwise 

I’ve heard people say that Eichel is difficult to be be around to the point where it could lessen what teams are willing to trade for him.  That’s not proven fact and it also doesn’t make him toxic, or a cancer or any other strong descriptor, but I honestly don’t think he is a particularly positive locker room guy.

16 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Hes not that old and played on a horrendous ducks team with no other players the last two years. He'll bounce back into being a top sixer in his prime easy.

I guess I just don't view it as giving up two assets, I'm just changing one into a pick 2 spots lower to try and get more back. If we could get even more on top of that then all the better - switch Comtois with Drysdale? That seems like robbery on our part given Eichel's condition 

He’s 28 with one year left on his deal and hasn’t produced at a high level for three years. We also don’t have the talent to help him get back on track. He’s a throw-in in an Eichel deal. I’d have interest in him in a separate deal but I don’t think he has value in a big boy trade.

Zegras or #3 (if Adams got both he would be a miracle worker) is the key piece here, and likely as good a piece as Eichel will return. Each is roughly the equivalent of Cozens, maybe a tad higher.

Comtois is a middle six forward with top six upside who led the Ducks in scoring last year. He's also young and abrasive.

If you want Zegras or three, you will be lucky to get Comtois added. You won't get more. That's the price of getting a 5-star like Zegras.

To me, Rakell is essentially a cap equalizer with upside and downside. He could play in the top 6 until his contract runs out and gets flipped. He could suck and turn into a pure dump.

The Ducks fans think he is a rental worth a late 1st.

Edited by dudacek

3 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Zegras or #3 (if Adams got both he would be a miracle worker) is the key piece here, and likely as good a piece as Eichel will return. Each is roughly the equivalent of Cozens, maybe a tad higher.

Comtois is a middle six forward with top six upside who led the Ducks in scoring last year. He's also young and abrasive.

If you want Zegras or three, you will be lucky to get Comtois added. You won't get more. That's the price of getting a 5-star like Zegras.

To me, Rakell is essentially a cap equalizer with upside and downside. He could play in the top 6 until his contract runs out and gets flipped. He could suck and turn into a pure dump.

The Ducks fans think he is a rental worth a late 1st.

My question in the Ducks equation is: what would you be willing to Eichel (aside from 1OA) to get two of Zegras, Drysdale and 3?

7 minutes ago, dudacek said:

So the Kings Insider says the Kings aren't that interested in Jack Eichel

And the next day the Sabres insider says the Sabres might not be ready to move on.

Hmm...

I’m confused. The Sabres report is that they ARE ready to move on.

47 minutes ago, Hoss said:

He’s 28 with one year left on his deal and hasn’t produced at a high level for three years. We also don’t have the talent to help him get back on track. He’s a throw-in in an Eichel deal. I’d have interest in him in a separate deal but I don’t think he has value in a big boy trade.

I don't think that fourth piece is gonna be very big though. What do you think we could get instead? Or what do you think the value of dropping from 1 to 3 is

3 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

I don't think that fourth piece is gonna be very big though. What do you think we could get instead? Or what do you think the value of dropping from 1 to 3 is

I think the deal might be close or there if you remove the picks.

11 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

I would be ecstatic. At this point I'd rather have that happen than keep Jack

It’s still the type of deal that scares me because you could ultimately end up empty handed. If Zegras and Comtois fail to progress you’re left with nothing for one of the best players in franchise history.

2 minutes ago, Hoss said:

It’s still the type of deal that scares me because you could ultimately end up empty handed. If Zegras and Comtois fail to progress you’re left with nothing for one of the best players in franchise history.

One of the best talents in franchise history, not one of the best players.  He has lead this team nowhere close to a single playoff spot.  Not all his fault be he has not driven this bus anywhere but the basement.  If his attitude is toxic then you are losing paying him $10 million a year, you can probably do better using that money on 2 guys with better attitudes who are ready to buy in to a culture.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Flashsabre said:

One of the best talents in franchise history, not one of the best players.  He has lead this team nowhere close to a single playoff spot.  Not all his fault be he has not driven this bus anywhere but the basement.  If his attitude is toxic then you are losing paying him $10 million a year, you can probably do better using that money on 2 guys with better attitudes who are ready to buy in to a culture.

I don’t care about the semantics here. He’s one of the best players we’ve had. This is an extremely important deal.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

I have always got the impression that Eichel has been a cancer.  From Gionta and Gorges saying the young guys won’t take any advice to his demeanour and body language to the team never playing above their level under his leadership. I think Adams has figured out what he is all about and wants to cut bait and rebuild with high character, skilled players that will come together as a team.

I’m not throwing all the Sabres problems at Jack’s feet but I think he has had a big hand in a team that was more divided then cohesive.

I have no problem if they trade him BUT they have to get value.

Yeah, I remember hearing that ROR was a cancer too.  This team will suck next season if we trade Eichel, Rienhart and Risto, add in not signing Ulmark and we'll be looking at #1 pick again.

• Like (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, Hoss said:

Yep - I think any move we make is gonna have this unfortunate risk. I view the Ducks and these players as ones that limit that possibility relative to some other returns.

13 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

Here's the thing about this stuff. Every year with Jack, many of us looked at this roster and pinpointed where we'd end up within ~4 points because of how bad our GMs always were. And it was always mid-70s. There is no reasonable change Jack could have made short of turning into literally prime Gretzky that could have on its own turned that into a 20 point improvement and potentially sniffing the playoffs. "He led this team nowhere" is technically true but leaves out the fact that we were so incompetent in all facets, that no NHL player playing today could be swapped in for Jack and handed those teams appreciable improvements (some could have helped us win a few more games, maybe, but nobody would come close to making up that 20 point gap. When McDavid went out and Draisaitl kept scoring last year, the team's record didn't vary much at all IIRC - to see standings improvement you need entire lines and entire pairings and starting goalies to improve together). 

With Jack or with McDavid, or anyone in between, 2015-2021 being exactly the same outside that one roster spot has us in exactly the same spot today. Jack might not be Mark Messier or Connor McDavid, but any competent franchise can win with him as a 1C, and he would make their job doing so easier than a lot of other 1Cs. No website whispers of his attitude, which are orders of magnitude less prevalent than what we were barfing out there post-ROR trade, and look what he did, change that

• Like (+1) 3

Jack can go pound sand. He’s a F’ing baby. He’s proven he’s a loser. He’s lead this team nowhere. He’s got a bad attitude. He can’t lead worth shite. 
He can rot for all I care. It is time this team showed some backbone and changes the culture. Jack is rotten to the core and let’s be fair, he’s good, but he’s not great. He really isn’t. 

There are so many guys on Vegas I’d rather have than him. I seriously am fed up with his crap. F you Jack. You’re not Connor, heck you’re not Mathews. Make him rehab and prove his worth. If he doesn’t want that and he gets surgery against teams advice, and it goes poorly , void contract. But don’t trade him to his desired location. Not a f’ing chance. Not this team big boy. ROR f’d is, you’re not. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Hoss said:

Left with nothing?  I earnestly believe that Comtois and Zegras are already top-6 quality players.  I don’t have any hesitation with regards to that.  It’s just as likely that Eichel’s career is severely diminished due to his injury.

6 minutes ago, Curt said:

Left with nothing?  I earnestly believe that Comtois and Zegras are already top-6 quality players.  I don’t have any hesitation with regards to that.  It’s just as likely that Eichel’s career is severely diminished due to his injury.

Either of them have proven anything definitive so there remains a chance you are left with nothing. That doesn’t mean I wouldn’t do the deal. It’s just a risk you may take. Ideally you’re getting at least one more proven piece, though.

5 minutes ago, Hoss said:

Either of them have proven anything definitive so there remains a chance you are left with nothing. That doesn’t mean I wouldn’t do the deal. It’s just a risk you may take. Ideally you’re getting at least one more proven piece, though.

There is risk with any player.  To me, it seems low in this case.  I actually feel just as confident that those two will be good, top-6 players, as I do that Eichel will get back to MVP contender form.