2021 Buffalo Bills

Brawndo

28 minutes ago, Thwomp! said:

Matt Ryan with an all time bonehead play.  Talks trash to Poyer, and Poyer just laughs.  I can't imagine what "Dad" said, but it would be funny to find out.  Gets the taunting penalty because he thinks he's scored.

Turns a 3rd and goal from a foot (touchdown makes it a one score game with plenty of time left) to 3rd and goal from the 16.  I was laughing so hard at that whole sequence.  Anytime I ever hear of Matt Ryan again, that will be my memory of him 🤣

Mine is his choking on a 28-3 halftime lead to lose the Super Bowl.  Of course his coach and the rest share in that.  

• Thanks (+1) 1

4 hours ago, SwampD said:

I found the Atlanta white jerseys/black pants and the Bills blue jerseys/white pants (with white helmets) all against the white snow covered field and black+white of the officials kinda tough to watch.

Not to make excuses, but I wonder if that played into his bad game.

He really didn’t throw bad.  Most of his passes were right on target.  Several passes in the first half were dropped.   Maybe he had too much on them?  

The first interception was tipped and picked in the end zone, that was all on Josh for trying to do too much.  He had 3 points  in the bag, which would have given us a 15 point lead. He still needs to learn to take what’s there.  

The next pick was a tipped ball and a very fortunate INT for Atlanta. Again, maybe he doesn’t make the throw but the Atlanta’ players made two excellent and highly athletic plays to tip it and get to the ball for the puck   Bad luck for  us  

On the third INT Beasley was obstructed from his route 9 years past the LOS.  That was a penalty not called.  Josh put the ball exactly where  Beasley should have been. 

After that Josh lead them on a long and time consuming 80 yard TD, passing only once and hitting on a key first down.  He ran like a maniac and finally the run game came together with Singletary.  

Allen then lead them in another long, time consuming drive to seal the game.

His leadership was obvious.  There is more to playing the position than passing stats.  

Allen may never be a passing leader playing so many games in Buffalo.  Beane really needs to make  the offense more diverse by bringing in a bigger and faster running back, a true blocking TE, and better more athletic guards to move people in the middle.   Give Josh this support and he won’t have to do it all every week. 

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 2

49 minutes ago, Thwomp! said:

Matt Ryan with an all time bonehead play.  Talks trash to Poyer, and Poyer just laughs.  I can't imagine what "Dad" said, but it would be funny to find out.  Gets the taunting penalty because he thinks he's scored.

Turns a 3rd and goal from a foot (touchdown makes it a one score game with plenty of time left) to 3rd and goal from the 16.  I was laughing so hard at that whole sequence.  Anytime I ever hear of Matt Ryan again, that will be my memory of him 🤣

Matty de-Ice

• Haha (+1) 2

2 hours ago, WildCard said:

I'm pretty sure he's just an *****. He's been like this since college.

Some high school classmate of his tweeted that his behavior started before college.

At least someone has overtaken Vontae Davis.

Edited by Eleven

49 minutes ago, The Ghost of Yuri said:

He's a 33 year-old with a net worth of $20 million. I think he has the resources he needs to draw on and I am not concerned about him. 

I'd wager dollars to donuts that he is essentially broke. I heard the interview with the guy who picked him up at Newark Airport yesterday -- Brown could just be a class-A arsehole ... but it sounds to me like he might actually suffer from some sort of manic mental disorder -- bipolar or the like.

12 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Allen may never be a passing leader playing so many games in Buffalo.  Beane really needs to made the offense more diverse by bringing in a bigger and faster running back, a true blocking TE, and better more athletic guards to move people in the middle.   Give Josh this support and he won’t have to do it all every week. 

Really good post, especially this last piece. It worries me that the Bills rely on Allen as much as they do. There were plenty of "MVP" chants in the stadium yesterday after his second rushing TD, which of course is not happening with that passing stat line. But it's true, IMO. No player is more valuable to a playoff team than Allen is to the Bills. They need to get him a little more help, both in terms of personnel and play calling.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, That Aud Smell said:

I'd wager dollars to donuts that he is essentially broke. I heard the interview with the guy who picked him up at Newark Airport yesterday -- Brown could just be a class-A arsehole ... but it sounds to me like he might actually suffer from some sort of manic mental disorder -- bipolar or the like.

He sure seems like he has a screw loose.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Some high school classmate of his tweeted that his behavior started before college.

At least someone has overtaken Vontae Davis.

There's been stories for a long time about how awful he is. He dropped in the draft because of it. I'm not saying CTE and mental health issues aren't a real and prominent thing, especially in the NFL, but sometimes you're just an *****. I'm not attributing those actual issues people have to him and excusing his ***** behavior, the dude just sucks.

1 minute ago, WildCard said:

There's been stories for a long time about how awful he is. He dropped in the draft because of it. I'm not saying CTE and mental health issues aren't a real and prominent thing, especially in the NFL, but sometimes you're just an *****. I'm not attributing those actual issues people have to him and excusing his ***** behavior, the dude just sucks.

I've also heard people talking about the CTE angle. I have no idea on that front, and no one else does either AFAIC. (FWIW, I would tend to doubt that he's a CTE sufferer -- the big CTE risks seem to be players who crack heads with other players on just about every play.)

2 hours ago, Pimlach said:

Don’t  be fooled by QBR stats.  JA was not terrible.  We was a a quarterback yesterday.  He won with leadership and by running.  He willed that team to two long TD drives in the second half.  He is a great player and they would not have won without him. 

Been saying it for years; there’s a difference between being a quarterback and a passer. Too many of us define it by the latter and there’s just so much more that goes into it. JA was a perfect example of that yesterday. I wish he’d slide a bit more, though. Even if he is bigger than most of the guys trying to tackle him. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

I've also heard people talking about the CTE angle. I have no idea on that front, and no one else does either AFAIC. (FWIW, I would tend to doubt that he's a CTE sufferer -- the big CTE risks seem to be players who crack heads with other players on just about every play.)

Vontaze Burfict’s head shot to Antonio Brown, 2016

Edited by LGR4GM

5 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Vontaze Burfict’s head shot to Antonio Brown, 2016

"Currently, the best available evidence suggests that subconcussive impacts, not concussions, are the driving force behind CTE."

https://concussionfoundation.org/cte-resources/subconcussive-impacts

28 minutes ago, K-9 said:

I wish he’d slide a bit more, though. Even if he is bigger than most of the guys trying to tackle him. 

Agree but.. I think he looks like that one kid in peewee who's bigger than all the other kids and they flat out can't tackle him.  It's hilarious. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

"Currently, the best available evidence suggests that subconcussive impacts, not concussions, are the driving force behind CTE."

Okay, and? Are you suggesting that being tackled repeatedly as an NFL receiver means he hasn't had multiple subconcussive impacts over the years?

9 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Okay, and? Are you suggesting that being tackled repeatedly as an NFL receiver means he hasn't had multiple subconcussive impacts over the years?

15 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Further I would add our own Kyle Okposo has talked about his personality change post concussion and his own wife spoke to at as well. Maybe Brown doesn't have full on CTE but that hit and others have certainly increased his erratic behavior over time. 

26 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I'm not really suggesting anything, seeing as I don't really know anything about this evolving area of study.

But if we accept as true that subconcussive impacts are the driver of CTE, then I would suggest that, of all positions on the field, wide receivers in (American) football are probably the least affected by repeated subconcussive impacts. That's not to say that they're unaffected by them. But they sure aren't experiencing them like linemen or linebackers, who basically crack heads on every single play.

As for your mention of "being tackled repeatedly," I'm not even sure whether garden variety tackles of a WR would register as a subconcussive impact -- I'm sure some of them would, but if, say, a DB grabs a WR by the waist and spins him to the ground? That's probably less of a subconcussive impact than each of the O-linemen experienced on that play when they came out of their stance and engaged with a defender.

35 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Further I would add our own Kyle Okposo has talked about his personality change post concussion and his own wife spoke to at as well. Maybe Brown doesn't have full on CTE but that hit and others have certainly increased his erratic behavior over time. 

It's well documented that TBI's can cause personality changes and mood disorders -- some of which can persist a long time. Whether those effects are consistent with CTE is a totally unresolved question, AFAICT.

40 minutes ago, Eleven said:

What a load of BS.  Pro athletes know not to dress if they can't play.

Story emerging is that he was ~3-4 good catches (for ~50 yards) and a TD away from ~$1M in bonuses ($333K for each item), and that he understood the coaching staff as actively keeping him out of the game plan so as to avoid him hitting those incentives.

Which, by the way, is totally plausible.

10 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Story emerging is that he was ~3-4 good catches (for ~50 yards) and a TD away from ~$1M in bonuses ($333K for each item), and that he understood the coaching staff as actively keeping him out of the game plan so as to avoid him hitting those incentives.

Which, by the way, is totally plausible.

He was really close to a million dollars in bonuses. And walked.

8 catches=$333,333

55 yards=$333,333

1TD=$333,333

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.