Sabres lead the league in posts hit

inkman

5 minutes ago, Kruppstahl said:

It's funny as Paul Hamilton has been harping on this lately, asking "Has anyone ever seen a team hit more posts than the Buffalo Sabres?"

And then we hit 2 of them on the same PP last night.  LOL.

Is anyone else's sound on MSG a little off?  I feel like I was hearing the ping's before the shots hit the post.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, Drag0nDan said:

Is anyone else's sound on MSG a little off?  I feel like I was hearing the ping's before the shots hit the post.

I watched the New Jersey broadcast; I watch the games on the internet and stopped listening to the Sabres broadcast a long time ago.  I am not surprised you have audio trouble on MSG; their audio work is among the worst in the league. A few years ago, every time the puck would hit the glass behind the net (which happens all the time) the microphones back there would max out and totally screw up the sound for like 2 or 3 seconds until they reset their levels again.

I remember talking about that with someone here at Sabrespace at the time.  That lasted a long time actually, but seems to have been fixed more recently. 

19 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

I had it on the radio at that point, and lordy, the sound of those in an empty arena. They'd actually be cool as hell, if they weren't so frustrating.

Both of them really were quite loud.  Eichel's in particular hit perfectly square to the pipe and really rang the bell.

That PP, by the way, was the best PP I have seen the Sabres operate in a long time.

It was 2 minutes of near perfection, but for the lack of a goal being scored.

We can put 5 guys on the ice at one time, all of whom have a tremendous set of hands.

They were really moving the puck well and stayed on the ice for the entire 2 minutes! 

3 minutes ago, Kruppstahl said:

I watched the New Jersey broadcast; I watch the games on the internet and stopped listening to the Sabres broadcast a long time ago.  I am not surprised you have audio trouble on MSG; their audio work is among the worst in the league. A few years ago, every time the puck would hit the glass behind the net (which happens all the time) the microphones back there would max out and totally screw up the sound for like 2 or 3 seconds until they reset their levels again.

I remember talking about that with someone here at Sabrespace at the time.  That lasted a long time actually, but seems to have been fixed more recently.

It wasn't me, but yes -- the mics were horrible on Sabres broadcasts through the end of last season. This year, they've been better (maybe because they can place the mics in better spots because there are no fans). But like yourself, I'm almost always watching the opposition's broadcast these days. It's more coherent.

I like Ray and RJ's chirps at each other, but the play-by-play, hockey discussions, and overall presentation is typically much better with the other teams.

I find this topic interesting because posts hit is frequently pointed to as “bad luck”, and I’m not sure that it necessarily is. The analytics gurus are calling it “unlucky”, but is there data that matter-of-factly demonstrates that posts are necessarily closer to “almost goals” than other shot attempts, on net?

The idea is that you are a couple inches away from a goal. But A) just because you hit a post doesn’t mean there was necessarily room between the post and the goalie and B) probably more importantly, if the goalie slides across and the puck hits his pad, an inch away from the mass of clear net space above, isn’t that still “just missing by an inch”?

There may very well be data that proves the difference already, but as far as I know, I’m not sure it’s that definitive. 

Anyways, just random ramblings 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

So who leads the league in skate blades replaced?

How about skating strides by players?

Who leads the league in goalie helmets coming off during games?

How about Deflected pucks?

I wonder who leads the league in glove replacement or exchanges during a game?

How about who leads the league in Gatorade consumption on the bench?

hmmm... 🤔

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

32 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

hmmm... 🤔

This is the best takedown of the asininity of analytics that I've seen. Well done.

Stop counting. Start watching.

• Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

hmmm... 🤔

I'm gonna say it: This is ... silly.

/ducks

19 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

This is the best takedown of the asininity of analytics that I've seen. Well done.

Stop counting. Start watching.

Pshhh.

Whether you're watching our counting, you'd know the Sabres have been fairly unlucky.

As is generally the case, the stats can help confirm what you think you're seeing. There's only one objective reality out there on the ice. Watching and counting help one to confirm that one's understanding of what's going on is accurate.

39 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

I'm gonna say it: This is ... silly.

/ducks

Pshhh.

Whether you're watching our counting, you'd know the Sabres have been fairly unlucky.

As is generally the case, the stats can help confirm what you think you're seeing. There's only one objective reality out there on the ice. Watching and counting help one to confirm that one's understanding of what's going on is accurate.

I don't buy the unlucky angle. To buy it, you have to believe that a certain percentage of shots are SUPPOSED to go in. Says who? Does not talent play the biggest part of that result? Why is Jack's shooting percentage so low this season? Bad luck?

Give Bubba Watson 10 five-foot putts. The average pro golfer makes 9.5 of them. He makes six. Is he unlucky?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.