Ralph Krueger needs to go - like yesterday.

MODO Hockey

3 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

Perhaps there are ongoing discussions with a few coaches in the background… And they don’t wanna make a move with RK until they’ve solidified a deal with another coach. Even if the chances of that happening are slim… It’s still a possibility. and perhaps the reason why none of this is leaking out is because they’ve asked those potential coaches to please keep their mouth shut about the Sabres talking to them. Who knows I’m just spit balling an idea.

But they could fire RK and have Matt Ellis or other interim coach run things while they have those discussions with those candidates.

I am growing increasingly concerned that this is a cost control measure -- i.e. they don't want to spend the $5MM or so it would cost to hire someone like Boudreau and his staff for the remainder of this season.

What a freaking debacle.

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

no. 

Krueger is literally destroying young players. Rasmus Dahlin is a shell of what he was 2 years ago. Fire Krueger now and the new coach can start instituting a new system in a lost season. Goaltending is not solely responsible for this burning building. 

No, it's mostly the goaltending. Have not even won one game since Ullmark went down 

Just now, bob_sauve28 said:

No, it's mostly the goaltending. Have not even won one game since Ullmark went down 

It's not. The Sabres score at one of the lowest rates of the past decade, on par with the worst teams of the decade. Sure goaltending is part of it but the rest of what the Sabres do is very bad as well from D zone coverage all the way through O zone movement. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, nfreeman said:

JFC.  They’re going to keep him for the rest of the season because of the money?  Really?

Even then, they'd be better served canning Ralph and letting an assistant run things, I'd bet. 

37 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Well, it's almost 9am. WGR refuses to talk about the subject. Twitter is silent. 

I think there's a good possibility we are stuck with this conjob for the season. What a waste. Could be a 25 game training camp for the next coach to get a feeling of these guys or it could be 25 games for the players themselves to experiment under an interim coach. 

This. 

It's like I always say - this franchise loves stealing the time of the fans. If they keep him on, their lack of urgency is showing again. If they really want next year to not be some sort of "gotta figure out the new system" year for the first half, they should be utilizing what still amounts to almost 40% of a normal 82 game season, still remaining.

Go. Do things. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

It's not. The Sabres score at one of the lowest rates of the past decade, on par with the worst teams of the decade. Sure goaltending is part of it but the rest of what the Sabres do is very bad as well from D zone coverage all the way through O zone movement. 

You can't win hockey games with terrible goaltending. 

1 minute ago, bob_sauve28 said:

I don't know man.

JJ and Hutton haven't been good, I just can't think of many games this year where we lost because of the goalie.

And Linus has been good.

The goaltending would be stopping us from winning if the roster and coaching had us within shouting distance of winning 

That we are bad enough in other areas for it not to factor in is NOT a positive reflection on the GM, coach, anyone

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

The goaltending would be stopping us from winning if the roster and coaching had us within shouting distance of winning 

That we are bad enough in other areas for it not to factor in is NOT a positive reflection on the GM, coach, anyone

Exactly. We give up so many shots against every game because we live in our own zone with no concept of transitions, breakouts, or puck possession. 

21 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

To me, this is clearly the problem:

• 1st line centre: 4 goals, -36
  • 2nd line centre: 7 goals, -45
  • 1st line wing: 5 goals, -40
  • 2nd line wing: 3 goals, -41
  • 2nd line wing: 4 goals, -24

Those are the projected ES numbers over a full season for five of our top six forwards.

Compare those to the actual numbers of the tank team

• 1st line centre: 13 goals, -19
  • 2nd line centre: 11 goals, -16
  • 1st line wing: 10 goals, -11
  • 2nd line wing: 9 goals, -13
  • 2nd line wing: 7 goals, -18

(For the record, that was Ennis, Girgensons, Moulson, Gionta and Stafford)

Our highly-paid, highly-touted forwards are not producing and they are getting caved at unheard-of levels.

EDIT: Just to depress you even more:

2021 Rasmus Dahlin: 0 goals, -70

2015 Andrej Mezsaros: 7 goals, -13

Edited by dudacek

1 minute ago, dudacek said:

Those are the projected ES numbers over a full season for five of our top six forwards.

Our highly-paid, highly-touted forwards are not producing and they are getting caved at unheard-of levels.

"A" problem. There isn't "A" problem - you've posted the stats of some of the problems.

Hutton SV% - .883

^There's another one. 

- - - 

It's like saying you can't go boating cause you don't live near a lake, when you also don't own a boat

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Is that coincidence that those players all fell off a cliff at the same time or is it coaching/systems ? Players go through slumps during a season sure but an entire team has a regression and almost to a man stink up the joint.

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Thorny said:

"A" problem. There isn't "A" problem - you've posted the stats of some of the problems.

Hutton SV% - .883

^There's another one. 

- - - 

It's like saying you can't go boating cause you don't live near a lake, when you also don't own a boat

"Our highly-paid, highly-touted forwards are not producing and they are getting caved at unheard-of levels."

This is an every game issue for 30 minutes a game. Hutton has played nine times.

I don't think there is any comparison and I think the fan base is sleeping on how bad our top six has been.

Edited by dudacek

25 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I don't know man.

JJ and Hutton haven't been good, I just can't think of many games this year where we lost because of the goalie.

And Linus has been good.

I think they have been terrible. Linus has been very good, and that's why we won games when he was finally seasoned and ready. 

Would we be great with better goaltending? No, but much better and at least competing for a playoff spot. Now we are at the bottom of the league 

24 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Can't win hockey games with Krueger's "think happy thoughts!" system either. 

If you had decent goaltending you could. Heck, we were the better team last night and lost because of goaltending 

18 minutes ago, dudacek said:

EDIT: Just to depress you even more:

2021 Rasmus Dahlin: 0 goals, -70

2015 Andrej Mezsaros: 7 goals, -13

Do you believe they all just decided to have bad years, or they not as good as we need, or perhaps the system we play has any impact?

Edited by Torpedo Forecheck

1 minute ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Heck, we were the better team last night and lost because of goaltending 

Except we werent.

We jumped out to an early lead because the Flyers forgot to cover Sam Reinhart and almost hung on.

3 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

I think they have been terrible. Linus has been very good, and that's why we won games when he was finally seasoned and ready. 

Would we be great with better goaltending? No, but much better and at least competing for a playoff spot. Now we are at the bottom of the league 

If you had decent goaltending you could. Heck, we were the better team last night and lost because of goaltending 

Last night, we were absolutely blitzed for most of the game, and couldn't really handle it 

4 minutes ago, dudacek said:

"Our highly-paid, highly-touted forwards are not producing and they are getting caved at unheard-of levels."

This is an every game issue for 30 minutes a game. Hutton has played nine times.

I don't think there is any comparison and I think the fan base is sleeping on how bad our top six has been.

I haven't been.  I've been talking about the top 6 shooting% and our lack of EV scoring all season.  I agree with @bunomatic that an entire offense doesn't go into the tank like this without bad coaching, bad player usage and a bad system. 

We have found out one thing this season and that is Sam Reinhart is an truly excellent hockey player.  He can succeed in any system and have success with any player.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

We were not the better team last night, just for starters Philly out shot attempted us 78-38

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, dudacek said:

I don't think there is any comparison and I think the fan base is sleeping on how bad our top six is.

It doesn't matter if one is more impactful than the other - why does the barometer have to be to prove the BIGGEST issue as if there can only be ONE thing that's preventing us from winning? Make your arguments, I just don't understand the need to desire to try and boil it down to "The" problem. If we had a better team around the goalie, it would be costing us wins. The statistics say the backup goaltending has not been good enough to be that of a winning team. It's an issue going forward (and has been)

- - - 

Here are the stats:

We have 12 points in 11 games in the contests Ullmark has started. 

We have 3 points in 9 games in the contest Hutton has started. 

The idea the goaltending isn't costing us points is a myth. Whether by raw performance or the way the team is playing around the goalies in question, we are getting THREE TIMES the amount of points in games Ullmark played relative to Hutton. Of course it's making a difference towards winning! 1.09 points per games played w/ullmark, 0.33 with Hutton. 

This is a standings difference of 62 points over an 82 game season.

Of course you expect weaker performance from a backup, but the discrepancy in the output from the team depending on the goaltender is ridiculous.

And Adams expected to be relying on Hutton in a key back up role in a playoff race. Derp.