GDT: 1/26/21 7pm ET NY Rangers at Buffalo, MSG & WGR

jsb

I guess I'm one of those sourpusses cause I thought that was a pretty uninspired effort. Glad we won, but it was only because the Rangers clearly suck. I expect them to finish dead last in the division as their hotshot draft picks aren't there yet.  Without the PP we lose that game 5 on 5 all the same.

Irwin played better D than Dahlin does (at this point).  We need the so called stars to give the same level of effort we are getting from the cast offs (Rieder, Lazar,Sheahan). then we'll be ok and not before.  

Just now, PerreaultForever said:

I guess I'm one of those sourpusses cause I thought that was a pretty uninspired effort. Glad we won, but it was only because the Rangers clearly suck. I expect them to finish dead last in the division as their hotshot draft picks aren't there yet.  Without the PP we lose that game 5 on 5 all the same.

Irwin played better D than Dahlin does (at this point).  We need the so called stars to give the same level of effort we are getting from the cast offs (Rieder, Lazar,Sheahan). then we'll be ok and not before.  

I saw all of the first period, and, despite the score at the end (and the Sabres' lack of effort at the end), Buffalo absolutely carried that period.  I saw the beginning of the second and the end of the third and I feel the same way.

4 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

Marty talkin' bout my boy Lazar...................YA!!!!

Yeah, that's how they're going to get Laine from C-bus.

1 minute ago, PerreaultForever said:

We need the so called stars to give the same level of effort we are getting from the cast offs (Rieder, Lazar,Sheahan). then we'll be ok and not before.  

Sheahan and Rieder have both been pleasant surprises.  Lazar doesn't surprise me.  I know he's good.  Total effort.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Norcal said:

He's workin his ass off out there

Yes he is. Becoming a journeyman all utility NHL'er. He still has some speed so it's a very suited role for him, as that speed dissipates a bit in to his 30's the skill sets he's performing now should help him to stay viable in the league for some time barring injuries. imo. 

Notes:

• Ullmark was great in the last period. Exactly what we needed.
  • Parking the bus in the third was not a good choice. Bad penalty from Hall at the end there too.
  • Okposo is not an NHL player. I'm willing to give him a few more games so he can work the rust off, but he is too slow to be a good forechecker/penalty killer. I'd rather see Tage, Mitts, or Asplund on the ice.
  • Really impressed by the Staal line tonight.
  • Like (+1) 5

3 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

I tend to agree. 2 shots on goal through the first 12 mins of the 1st period. 2 shots on goal the entire 3rd period. You lose that game 9/10 times against anyone else.

• Like (+1) 2

A very kind friend here kindly suggested that I need to be more positive.

1) I am very glad we are back to hockey 500.

2) We played an excellent 2nd period 

3) The power play is cranking

4) UIlmark is looking like the work is helping him and is looking better each game.

5) Cozens is the sh.... so smell it.  The next Captain of this Buffalo Sabres after Jack gets traded to the Rags

6) The Rags still have the best uniforms in hockey.

7) Nice of the official scorer to give Rieder a EV goal, so that our EV production looks better.  Nice move by Rieder.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

Yes he is. Becoming a journeyman all utility NHL'er. He still has some speed so it's a very suited role for him, as that speed dissipates a bit in to his 30's the skill sets he's performing now should help him to stay viable in the league for some time barring injuries. imo. 

He could still find his scoring touch again too

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, NAF said:

Notes:

• Ullmark was great in the last period. Exactly what we needed.
  • Parking the bus in the third was not a good choice. Bad penalty from Hall at the end there too.
  • Okposo is not an NHL player. I'm willing to give him a few more games so he can work the rust off, but he is too slow to be a good forechecker/penalty killer. I'd rather see Tage, Mitts, or Asplund on the ice.
  • Really impressed by the Staal line tonight.

I'm with you except the Staal thing.  He's was 'Meh" imho.  

I'll also mention that Lazar is working his way into the hearts of Sabres fans.  I wrote in the Fix the Sabres thread that he, Risto and McCabe are the only 3 Sabres that have brought it every night and that is still true.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.