GDT: 1/26/21 7pm ET NY Rangers at Buffalo, MSG & WGR

jsb

9 minutes ago, Taro T said:

ION, WE, or Sundance?

Any other channels that's on perpetually?   Seems there has to be at least one or 2 others.

WE right now.  Sundance on weekends; BBC America on Mondays.  WE and USA run the sister series (SVU, CI) on other days.

Edited by Eleven

14 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I'm with you except the Staal thing.  He's was 'Meh" imho.  

I'll also mention that Lazar is working his way into the hearts of Sabres fans.  I wrote in the Fix the Sabres thread that he, Risto and McCabe are the only 3 Sabres that have brought it every night and that is still true.

https://twitter.com/CMDeDominicis/status/1354261118668177413/photo/4

I think statistically the line was pretty good, but maybe the powerplays inflated their numbers. They also didn't get a ton of minutes so their success may have been difficult to notice. Regardless I look forward to seeing more.

Just now, NAF said:

https://twitter.com/CMDeDominicis/status/1354261118668177413/photo/4

I think statistically the line was pretty good, but maybe the powerplays inflated their numbers. They also didn't get a ton of minutes so their success may have been difficult to notice. Regardless I look forward to seeing more.

I said a few weeks ago that it would take Staal some time to get used to the system and his new teammates.  I think that is happening.  Still another game with zero 5 on 5 production from our top 2 lines.  Either the goals will start to come to get back to norms or this is going to be a long season.  Has there ever been a team that scored more goals on the PP then they did 5 on 5 for a full season?  Buffalo has 11 goals 5 on 5 (the 2nd least of any team with 7 games or more) and 9 goals with the man advantage.   We have 5 pp goals in the last 2 games with only 1 EV goal.

2 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Wtf would it be on BBC America?  Sam Waterston secretly a Brit?

BBC America and BBC are different channels.  Also, BBC broadcasts a lot of LAW and ORDER!!!!! in the UK. Or at least it used to.

Edited by Eleven

Just now, Zamboni said:

A win is a win. I couldn’t care less HOW they win, HOW it looks, or HOW the other team looked. 
Scoreboard baby!

Disagree.  I disagree less with a loss--I'm as sick of "good-looking losses" as the next person--but a good-looking win?  Awesome, and better than a bad-looking win.  From what I saw tonight, which, again, was limited, this was a good-looking win.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, GASabresIUFAN said:

I said a few weeks ago that it would take Staal some time to get used to the system and his new teammates.  I think that is happening.  Still another game with zero 5 on 5 production from our top 2 lines.  Either the goals will start to come to get back to norms or this is going to be a long season.  Has there ever been a team that scored more goals on the PP then they did 5 on 5 for a full season?  Buffalo has 11 goals 5 on 5 (the 2nd least of any team with 7 games or more) and 9 goals with the man advantage.   We have 5 pp goals in the last 2 games with only 1 EV goal.

The goals for the top 2 lines will come soon now that they're finding their rhythm on the PP.

The Eichel line had 4 great scoring chances and were about 6" off on passes from having at least 3 more.

The Staal line regardless of who the 3rd piece is has been getting 2-4 great ES chances as well.  These guys are too good at finishing to not start burying some of these chances.

And Skinner continues to get 2-3 chances each game as well.

The seal's going to break soon.  Probably against Joisey as their GT seems suspect even with claiming all the waiver claim goalies. 

1 minute ago, Eleven said:

Disagree.  I disagree less with a loss--I'm as sick of "good-looking losses" as the next person--but a good-looking win?  Awesome, and better than a bad-looking win.  From what I saw tonight, which, again, was limited, this was a good-looking win.

That’s cool. I was just speaking for myself. I agree with the basic principle that a good looking win is better than a bad looking win. 

5 minutes ago, Eleven said:

BBC America and BBC are different channels.  Also, BBC broadcasts a lot of LAW and ORDER!!!!! in the UK. Or at least it used to.

Realize BBC America isn't the BBC.  But aren't BBC America shows supposed to have some sort of British tie in?  Like showing the original run Star Treks because Patrick Stewart was in TNG.  (need that wacko emoticon back)

3 minutes ago, Taro T said:

The goals for the top 2 lines will come soon now that they're finding their rhythm on the PP.

The Eichel line had 4 great scoring chances and were about 6" off on passes from having at least 3 more.

The Staal line regardless of who the 3rd piece is has been getting 2-4 great ES chances as well.  These guys are too good at finishing to not start burying some of these chances.

And Skinner continues to get 2-3 chances each game as well.

The seal's going to break soon.  Probably against Joisey as their GT seems suspect even with claiming all the waiver claim goalies. 

Imagine the Staal line with Skinner... 

• Like (+1) 1

I thought our play was a little loose. That's not Krueger's preferred style of play. I'm not complaining because a win is a win. 

The Risto/McCabe combo are our best pairing. Risto has seemed to simplify and tame his game. McCabe has been the most consistent player on the team. He's not flashy but always solid. 

Like everyone else I like Cozens. 

I thought Irwin was solid. 

Skinner is giving effort and working hard in his defensive zone. Eventually he is going to put the puck in the net. 

I hope very soon the top line loosens up and convert their chances. After Jack scored his goal you can see him exhale. 

We need to keep adding points so that we will be in contention right to the end of the season. 

NHL Hockey Standings | NHL.com

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Realize BBC America isn't the BBC.  But aren't BBC America shows supposed to have some sort of British tie in?  Like showing the original run Star Treks because Patrick Stewart was in TNG.  (need that wacko emoticon back)

Apparently not.

58 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Advanced Analytics says this Sabre team isn't just good, it might actually be VERY good.

5th in CF, 2nd in CF%(404 for 329 against), 3rd in FF, 4th in FF%(323 for 257 against), 6th in scoring chances for, 2nd in scoring chances for %(183 for, 132 against), 4th in high danger scoring chances, 4th in High danger scoring for %(80 for, only 48 against), 7th in xGF 3rd in xGF%(19.27 for,  14.66 against), 8th worst PDO(basically luck...teams trend towards 1.0 and the Sabres are at .983 meaning they have been very unlucky compared to other teams).

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Advanced Analytics says this Sabre team isn't just good, it might actually be VERY good.

8th in CF%, 8th in FF%, 8th in scoring chances for, 6th in scoring chances for %(133 for, 103 against), 3rd in high danger scoring chances, 3rd in High danger scoring for %(63 for, only 35 against), 5th in xGF 4th in xGF%(12.39 for, 9.19 against), 5th worst PDO(basically luck...teams trend towards 1.0 and the Sabres are at .968 meaning they have been very unlucky compared to other teams).

Advanced stats are great, but they mean nothing if we don't convert.  We have had a history for years of being one of the worst teams in the league at converting chances into goals.  Our 5 on 5 shooting % entering tonight was 6.2%.  League average is 7.8% ytd.  Here is our 5 on 5 % for the last 5 years - 7.7, 6.7, 5.8, 6.0 and 6.2.  The 6.2 is from DB's 81 pt season.  Feel better yet? I don't.

24 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

Anybody missing Larsson or Girgensons yet?   

You think either of them bury that shorty by Rieder?

Z might have, but no I don't miss either guy.

If Z were healthy, no Sheahan

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

9 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Z might have, but no I don't miss either guy.

And to piggyback your thought ... I don’t ponder or care what Larsson would or wouldn’t have done in a situation in a game. He’s no longer on the team so it’s not a concern. Hmm that’s like wondering if Gerbe or Ennis would have scored the goal Eichel scored 😂 ... don’t care.
Zemgus has some speed and I can see him scoring that goal. But again ... waste of time to ponder “what if” there too.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Anyone else had enough of Colin Miller's defensive prowess?

You’ll notice anybody playing with the worst defensive defensemen in team history (RDahlin) seems to play bad then they get moved and they look great

That was one for Kevyn Adams and the Kevyn Adams type players he filled out the bottom six with this year. 

• Ralph alluded to it in the post-game: Rieder Eakin Sheahan and Lazar win faceoffs, get in faces, and take care of the details in a way the Conor Shearys and Jimmy Veseys refused to ever fully invest themselves in doing.
  • Dont take this as an endorsement of the way Skinner is being used, but damn, that line is a pack of wild dogs at the slaughterhouse sometimes on the cycle and forecheck. It’s a treat to watch and has to be one of the league’s more effective “4th” lines.
  • Matt Irwin’s skill level is pretty much non-existent, but he played far better tonight than I ever imagined he could.
  • As a unit, Jack, Sam, Taylor, Colin and Ras were really bad in our zone.
  • Eric Staal is growing on me. His body is slow, but his mind still functions at a very high NHL level. Looking forward to watching chemistry with Cozens develop.
  • A lot of people on here seem to think the Victor Olofsson we saw last year was as good as he’s going to get. I’m seeing a guy who is getting more pucks and making better passes. 
  • After a good debut, Kyle looked like a guy who hadn’t played in while.
  • Another good finish by Linus. The fact he let in an undeflected point shot for the second game in a row is a worry.
  • Having a good 2nd PP unit is a thing? Wow.

Uneven game against an uneven team. Good teams win those games, then come back with better games the next time they hit the ice. Looking forward to see what Thursday brings.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.