Everything Kevyn Adams has done as Sabres GM

Zamboni

Jan 11, 2024 Traded Filip Cederqvist to Montreal for future considerations
Mar 6, 2024 Traded Casey Mittelstadt to Colorado for Bowen Byram
Mar 8, 2024 Traded Devin Cooley to San Jose for 2025 7th round pick (washington)
Mar 8, 2024 Taded Erik Johnson to Philadelphia for 4th round pick (Philadelphia
Mar 8, 2024 Traded Kyle Okposo to Florida for 2024 7th round pick (conditional) (Florida) and Calle Sjalin

1 hour ago, mjd1001 said:

I'm still fine with Adams and Granato starting next year.  I haven't seen much in the past couple months to think a change makes things better right away.

Granato is well past the date for his expiry. No other team would have given his record a seal of approval. 

Adams has not been good, but for me he can redeem himself in the off season by firing Granato,  hiring Brind'Amour (assuming Carolina doesn't), buying out Skinner, not bringing back Girgs, and trading a few prospects to fill our needs. 

Staying the course would just be more acceptance of failure. 

I do believe that we have enough pieces in place that all it would take is a good coach and smart GM. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Last year, the Panther game with Levi ended the season. This year, it was the Detroit game last Saturday that ended their playoffs. I wonder who will drive the stake in the next year and will we be lucky enough to actually care in the month of March? Those are where my expectations are right now. I don't expect playoffs next year, I only hope to have some games that are watchable in March.

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Granato is well past the date for his expiry. No other team would have given his record a seal of approval. 

Adams has not been good, but for me he can redeem himself in the off season by firing Granato,  hiring Brind'Amour (assuming Carolina doesn't), buying out Skinner, not bringing back Girgs, and trading a few prospects to fill our needs. 

Staying the course would just be more acceptance of failure. 

I do believe that we have enough pieces in place that all it would take is a good coach and smart GM. 

Yeah, I know that is the prevailing opinion around here, I just don't agree.  I don't care if no other team would agree with it, if I think things are going in the correct direction I don't give a you-know-what about what other teams would do.  

As far as staying the course being acceptance of failure? Yeah, sounds good, but guess what, with the youngest team, staying the course almost LITERALLY means the team is getting better with age and experience.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1
  • Disagree 4
  • Haha (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

Yeah, I know that is the prevailing opinion around here, I just don't agree.  I don't care if no other team would agree with it, if I think things are going in the correct direction I don't give a you-know-what about what other teams would do.  

As far as staying the course being acceptance of failure? Yeah, sounds good, but guess what, with the youngest team, staying the course almost LITERALLY means the team is getting better with age and experience.  

Yeah.. Just like last year, we were supposed to grow and be better this year. Growing older doesn't mean better. If that's the train of thought, then we're already F'd

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

They're probably going to be younger next season by replacing Jost, Girgensons, Comrie, Olofsson, and Bryson.  The Sabres started the season with an average age of 26.  They are now at an average age of around 25.

Anyway, here are the 10 youngest teams in the league right now: Sabres, Coyotes, Blue Jackets, Senators, Canadiens, Ducks, Devils, Blackhawks, Flyers, Blues.

The only team in that group in playoff position is the Flyers.  Their average age is 27.  Two years older than the Sabres' average age.

Trying to create the youngest roster in the league is a dumb way to build a team, because as we've witnessed, a young player's developmental progression is not linear.  Look at Thompson, Middlestadt, Cozens, Power, and even Dahlin.  The Sabres inconsistency can be attributed to the large number of players experiencing this non-linear growth.

Adams needs to go.  4 years of his plan, no playoffs, and the Sabres are still the youngest team in the league, where being young brings no advantage. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

7 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Yeah.. Just like last year, we were supposed to grow and be better this year. Growing older doesn't mean better. If that's the train of thought, then we're already F'd

We can’t just sit around and attempt to age out. We would be trying to make up too much of a gap in an area where only so much can be gained. Other teams have young players too, we are only benefiting development wise by being 0.25 years younger to a very small degree 

And there’s a draft every year and everyone gets 7 free picks. 

31st, 24th, 20th, 25th 

(our standings placement, last one by points percentage)

it doesn’t work, you need to configure an actual team 

Edited by Thorny
  • Agree 3

7 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

No, it absolutely does not mean that. It MIGHT mean that, but there is no necessary direct correlation.

One example, Risto got lots of experience here and went from a young player to a veteran, but it was only when he got to Philly that he praised his coach and turned his game around. Just being in the league longer guarantees nothing. If we tread water long enough we simply get to the next round of people wanting out. Not saying that will happen, but the idea that it just takes more time is absurd. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

We can’t just sit around and attempt to age out. We would be trying to make up too much of a gap in an area where only so much can be gained. Other teams have young players too, we are only benefiting development wise by being 0.25 years younger to a very small degree 

And there’s a draft every year and everyone gets 7 free picks. 

31st, 24th, 20th, 24th

it doesn’t work, you need to configure an actual team 

I've gotten zero confidence that this FO thinks this way, they've made mention about internal growth. Maybe it's a smokescreen and they have other plans, but based on track record... The suffering appears to be on a continuim 

4 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

I've gotten zero confidence that this FO thinks this way, they've made mention about internal growth. Maybe it's a smokescreen and they have other plans, but based on track record... The suffering appears to be on a continuim 

Its infuriating and disappointing but I’ll give this regime one more shot to figure it out for next season 

Just now, Thorny said:

Its infuriating and disappointing but I’ll give this regime one more shot to figure it out for next season 

You sir, are a better man that I. 

I want them gone after the season, but it's not happening. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

They probably will mostly just rely on youth, they may get even younger, but nothing changes the fact this is their chosen setup for *year 5* of this regime. It doesn’t represent an iota of an excuse.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

You sir, are a better man that I. 

I want them gone after the season, but it's not happening. 

certainly I am not

and I certainly wouldn’t complain. At this point, I mean I almost never rip the guy but I’m struggling to make an argument for why Granato shouldn’t objectively be fired. How can our standards be that low?

Adams, well you know my feelings there, I wouldn’t lose sleep if we canned him now: most franchises would. He’s abjectly failed so far. But this year was his first outright fail on expectations so I’ve said it a lot but I WOULD give him a mulligan for next year 

even having said, earlier, that I actually don’t think he changes his strategy 

Edited by Thorny

Considering what he inherited - big pluses for Adams:

Developed UPL - stuck with him 

Traded for Levi 

Traded for Byram 

Traded for Tuch 

Locked up Tage, Dahlin, Cozens, Power - their best days are coming.  Tage I have questions.  But he’s at worst a 2C 

Drafted Benson 

Drafted Quinn 

Traded for Greenway 

Signed Clifton - he’s definitely come on the 2nd half 

Places where his hands are tied

No one wants to come here

No one wants Skinner 

Okposo was coming off a decent year they needed a vet he made the most sense 

Terry wants Girgenson to stay

He wanted to do right by Eichel and Reinhart - but got good return.  

Kane wasn’t signing here

Granato did lead a turnaround - but - fire him?  He just signed an extension and..

Bad injury luck we didn’t need this year: Muel, Quinn, Tage, Tuch 

Levi - would he have stayed at college if there wasn’t some sort of “we’ll give you a shot” deal.  We could NOT lose him.  

His mistakes?

Not mixing “toughness” with his youth.  We get pushed around.  We aren’t good enough to play with skilled veteran teams that are hard on the puck.  We lack elite big forwards.  

Our top forwards can’t take hits and don’t dish any out.  They don’t like playing that way or coached not to.  

This has to be addressed somehow.  Greenway is a 4th line PKer on a playoff team.  We need to play him in the top 9 because we’re so small and the forwards didn’t play defense   

Overall grade from me is B-

Granato - C

Edited by Second Line Center
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

11 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

March 2024...

Missed playoffs again. 

Lowered fan morale. 

Had terrible press conference. 

Kept poor coaches. 

Saved Terry $$$

Botched Goaltending...again. 

Grade: F-

There is nothing in here that is wrong.  I would add that he blew the off season and the pre season, which caused it all.  

The bell for round 5 is coming. 

15 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

When you are the youngest team every year, growing older might imply getting better.   If next year they bring in no new veterans, let Z and VO go, replace them with prospects, then the ‘we are young excuse’ is still there.  

9 hours ago, Second Line Center said:

Considering what he inherited - big pluses for Adams:

Developed UPL - stuck with him 

Traded for Levi 

Traded for Byram 

Traded for Tuch 

Locked up Tage, Dahlin, Cozens, Power - their best days are coming.  Tage I have questions.  But he’s at worst a 2C 

Drafted Benson 

Drafted Quinn 

Traded for Greenway 

Signed Clifton - he’s definitely come on the 2nd half 

Places where his hands are tied

No one wants to come here

No one wants Skinner 

Okposo was coming off a decent year they needed a vet he made the most sense 

Terry wants Girgenson to stay

He wanted to do right by Eichel and Reinhart - but got good return.  

Kane wasn’t signing here

Granato did lead a turnaround - but - fire him?  He just signed an extension and..

Bad injury luck we didn’t need this year: Muel, Quinn, Tage, Tuch 

Levi - would he have stayed at college if there wasn’t some sort of “we’ll give you a shot” deal.  We could NOT lose him.  

His mistakes?

Not mixing “toughness” with his youth.  We get pushed around.  We aren’t good enough to play with skilled veteran teams that are hard on the puck.  We lack elite big forwards.  

Our top forwards can’t take hits and don’t dish any out.  They don’t like playing that way or coached not to.  

This has to be addressed somehow.  Greenway is a 4th line PKer on a playoff team.  We need to play him in the top 9 because we’re so small and the forwards didn’t play defense   

Overall grade from me is B-

Granato - C

You left out the mule. Big money signing often injured.

ah I missed it. Sorry, just saw him.

Edited by bunomatic

12 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

No, it absolutely does not mean that. It MIGHT mean that, but there is no necessary direct correlation.

One example, Risto got lots of experience here and went from a young player to a veteran, but it was only when he got to Philly that he praised his coach and turned his game around. Just being in the league longer guarantees nothing. If we tread water long enough we simply get to the next round of people wanting out. Not saying that will happen, but the idea that it just takes more time is absurd. 

I guess I should not have said "literally guarantees" and instead said 'mostly guarantees' as the vast majority of D-men and D-units are better when they are older than what the Sabres unit is.  MOST guys have their best years, MOST teams have the best D-unit play when their age/average age isn't under 23 years of age.

Still doesn't change my opinion of the team. I LIKE Adams playing the long game. I do not want to do anything too risky to upset that (yeah, I would be open to trading some prospects for a vet, but not just any vet and certainly not many of the names being floated around here). I also am oveall happy with Granato at coach.  If there are those around here that just want to be negative about the team, the coach, and the GM I guess that is going to happen. I'm not there.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I guess I should not have said "literally guarantees" and instead said 'mostly guarantees' as the vast majority of D-men and D-units are better when they are older than what the Sabres unit is.  MOST guys have their best years, MOST teams have the best D-unit play when their age/average age isn't under 23 years of age.

Still doesn't change my opinion of the team. I LIKE Adams playing the long game. I do not want to do anything too risky to upset that (yeah, I would be open to trading some prospects for a vet, but not just any vet and certainly not many of the names being floated around here). I also am oveall happy with Granato at coach.  If there are those around here that just want to be negative about the team, the coach, and the GM I guess that is going to happen. I'm not there.

That's the argument I'm dead against. NOBODY WANTS TO BE NEGATIVE  about the team, the team puts us in a position where there is no other option if you have any objectivity at all. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1