Jump to content

Should we be talking more about Arttu Ruotsalainen


Recommended Posts

Can't see Cozens going back to junior. A player of his caliber doing so in their D2 year isn't incredibly common, the fact it'll really be the second half of his D2 year, by the time the season starts.. I think Buffalo will be the best place for his development. But that's just a guess. Of course we can't prioritize his development to the detriment of the team, but hearing they'll likely ease him in on wing eases my concerns he wouldn't be ready for NHL action. 

Unlike Casey, Cozens has a natural defensive aptitude to his game. 

Ruotsalainen I can't help but see as a non-factor until we see him in camp - he hasn't ever stood out to me despite being a twitter darling. He's kind of like Thompson - the internet buzz is expecting big things from these 2. 

Can't wait to see it. 

Edited by Thorny
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

The fact he can go to Rochester while Cozens cannot, probably gives Dylan the advantage to making the team. 

it gives Cozens the edge to make the team out of the gate; but having guys like him nipping at his heels makes that 9 game tryout (or however many it ends up prorated to) massively important for determining where he plays this year. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

I'd be shocked if that happened. 

I personally believe Cozens makes the team. 

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I personally believe Cozens makes the team. 

My expectation is he gets the 9 game tryout & earns the full season, but if Ruotsalainen, Mittelstadt, or other truly surprises in a good way, Cozens could be back in the W.  (Not saying it's likely; would give it ac15-20% chance of happening, but it is possible.  And if it happens, it's actually a really good indication of how this team finally has NHL quality depth.)

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think one thing that is getting very little play here is the very real possibility that there will not be an AHL or WHL season as we know it.

If that happens, I would imagine the league will take steps to create a situation that gives guys like Cozens and Mittelstadt a chance to play outside the regular rule boxes.

Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I think one thing that is getting very little play here is the very real possibility that there will not be an AHL or WHL season as we know it.

If that happens, I would imagine the league will take steps to create a situation that gives guys like Cozens and Mittelstadt a chance to play outside the regular rule boxes.

My believe that teams will be allowed to carry expanded squads so guys can practice with the bug clubs if there is nowhere for them to play.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Currently leads LIIGA with 9 goals and with 15 points. 

Cool.  If he pans out the Sabres could have a "shoot first" guy on all 4 lines once he & Quinn show up should they want to structure the lines that way.

Link to post
Share on other sites

https://buffalonews.com/sports/sabres/faster-more-dynamic-arttu-ruotsalainen-showing-he-could-earn-spot-with-sabres/article_9ccab7a0-2038-11eb-9e9b-1b826ab77921.html

So another LW/Center battling for a job with the Sabres.  A nice problem to have, but as the article says, our forward group is now getting very crowded.

Hall Eichel Reinhart

Skinner Staal  Battle1

Battle 2  Eakin  Battle 3

Girgensons Lazar KO

Battle 1: Cozens vs Olofsson vs Thompson

Battle 2: Routsalainen vs Mittelstadt vs Olofsson

Battle 3: Cozens vs Olofsson vs Thompson

Not sure where Aslund and Reider fit into this equation

Also I don't think it's guaranteed that Eakin and Lazar start the year as the 3rd and 4th centers.  Eakin is obviously making the team, but if Cozens or Routsalainen, despite his size, wins that 3rd C job, there by creating a very formidable 4th line of Z, Eakin and KO. 

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

https://buffalonews.com/sports/sabres/faster-more-dynamic-arttu-ruotsalainen-showing-he-could-earn-spot-with-sabres/article_9ccab7a0-2038-11eb-9e9b-1b826ab77921.html

So another LW/Center battling for a job with the Sabres.  A nice problem to have, but as the article says, our forward group is now getting very crowded.

Hall Eichel Reinhart

Skinner Staal  Battle1

Battle 2  Eakin  Battle 3

Girgensons Lazar KO

Battle 1: Cozens vs Olofsson vs Thompson

Battle 2: Routsalainen vs Mittelstadt vs Olofsson

Battle 3: Cozens vs Olofsson vs Thompson

Not sure where Aslund and Reider fit into this equation

Also I don't think it's guaranteed that Eakin and Lazar start the year as the 3rd and 4th centers.  Eakin is obviously making the team, but if Cozens or Routsalainen, despite his size, wins that 3rd C job, there by creating a very formidable 4th line of Z, Eakin and KO. 

With respect to Routsalainen it wouldn't be surprising that he shows very well in training camp and be in consideration for a roster spot. But maybe the best way to handle him is having him play a lot in Rochester in order to acclimate him to the smaller rinks and then move him up like was done with Olofsson. What may complicate that approach is I'm not sure what the plans are for an AHL season. What's evident now compared to the previous few years is that there is more competition for roster spots with no one getting a roster spot because they are entitled to it a la Mitts scenario.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, JohnC said:

With respect to Routsalainen it wouldn't be surprising that he shows very well in training camp and be in consideration for a roster spot. But maybe the best way to handle him is having him play a lot in Rochester in order to acclimate him to the smaller rinks and then move him up like was done with Olofsson. What may complicate that approach is I'm not sure what the plans are for an AHL season. What's evident now compared to the previous few years is that there is more competition for roster spots with no one getting a roster spot because they are entitled to it a la Mitts scenario.  

Mitts wasn't entitled to the job, management gave it to him.  That is a huge difference.

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Mitts wasn't entitled to the job, management gave it to him.  That is a huge difference.

What is evident about the ill conceived rushing of Mitts onto a NHL roster is that it not only didn't help the team but it might have set back his development. As of now I can't say for sure whether Mitts will develop or ever develop into an established NHL. I can't even say for sure that his NHL abbreviated early experience will serve him well in the long run or not. Another unknown to me is I'm not sure what his standing is within the organization? Is he a valued asset or is he is a player that the organization dangles in proposed deals? If he would have been handled in the more standard way of starting at the bottom and working your way up the system we would have a better sense of who he is as a player and what his potential could be. I'm not a Botterill basher but in this case it is easy to conclude that he grossly mishandled this young prospect. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, JohnC said:

What is evident about the ill conceived rushing of Mitts onto a NHL roster is that it not only didn't help the team but it might have set back his development. As of now I can't say for sure whether Mitts will develop or ever develop into an established NHL. I can't even say for sure that his NHL abbreviated early experience will serve him well in the long run or not. Another unknown to me is I'm not sure what his standing is within the organization? Is he a valued asset or is he is a player that the organization dangles in proposed deals? If he would have been handled in the more standard way of starting at the bottom and working your way up the system we would have a better sense of who he is as a player and what his potential could be. I'm not a Botterill basher but in this case it is easy to conclude that he grossly mishandled this young prospect. 

All true, but Mitts wasn't entitled.  Jbot thrust him into the lineup before he was ready and when he faltered in year 2, he didn't act swiftly enough to get him back on track.

I believe that Mitts is still considered a valuable member of this organization.  With Hall, Staal, and Reinhart on 1 year deals and Eakin and Lazar on 2 year deals, there are plenty of slots that will be available for Quinn, Cozens, Mitts, and Routsalainen to claim over the next couple of years. 

  • Like (+1) 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, French Collection said:

If there is a training camp, he would be more ready to compete than many others.

Very true.  He would be coming into camp in top, mid season form.  Maybe as good a chance as he’ll ever have to grab a spot.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...