Free Agent Frenzy! Oct 9, 2020

spndnchz

7 minutes ago, SDS said:

But in Buffalo if he was routinely use to shut down the first line, and that was his value to us, is that his value to a better team? Maybe they have better players in that role and thus his value to them is less. 

This isn't even just a thing for players who slide in lower on the roster like Larsson.

Of course his value is greater to us currently than most teams, this is part of why I argue Eichel should be in the Hart convo (and he was) - we particularly need the help at C. Just because he's extra valuable to us doesn't mean he's wouldn't provide substantial value for another team.

This is why you see articles from other teams like "Should the Rangers try to acquire Eichel?" To other teams, they might hypothetically not want a top 10 player. It's always "should we?" "do we need him?" "report - rangers LIKE eichel". 

Really? You like him?

- - - 

Risto was close to a neutral player by advanced metrics when he got to play with Larsson

He was a disaster by advanced metrics when he didn't. I assure you, Larsson is a Load Bearing wall. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

Markstrom signing probably takes the Flames out of the big spender market.

Buffalo, Detroit, New Jersey, Ottawa and Colorado still have plenty of room for $6-8 million signing. Maybe Boston, Nashville, LA and Florida

Edited by dudacek

Just now, Thorny said:

Kind of annoying TSN had to put that "will Eichel ask out?" segment out this morning. Doubt it'd have any affect but it's a bit stupid. 

We just all need to realize this is an absolutely fantasy for NHL writers all over the USA and Canada and until the Sabres start winning, they will absolutely crave this conversation

3 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Kind of annoying TSN had to put that "will Eichel ask out?" segment out this morning. Doubt it'd have any affect but it's a bit stupid. 

They blew Toronto non-stop for signing Wayne Simmonds whereas when we did it it was no big deal. TSN sucks

• Thanks (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Radar said:

I do think Eichel will be asking out after next season. If they don't make playoffs. That seems, at the moment, very likely unfortunately.

Call me optimistic but when Linus was healthy and playing well this team was close to the playoffs. I do not think it will take a miracle to fix the issues with this team to make a legit push for a playoff spot. It CAN be done. Get er done Adams!

• Like (+1) 5

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Larsson is a UFA. He get's to decide if he wants to walk. 

Haha.. how many times are you going to have to tell people that?

I've only seen a few deals that I would have liked the Sabres to be in on, but the players control where they go and frankly Buffalo probably needs to pay more just to get players at this point.

That said.. there are some stupid deals out there.  The 2 year deals look like the players that will end up in Seattle after next season. 🙂

It's not over.. there's still time for more stupid!

A goalie upgrade, and solid productive 2C, and nothing else ... will do wonders for this team. It may even get them into the playoffs. Sprinkle in other talent where needed and this team can go deep into the playoffs.

If goaltending is upgraded and IF Staal can be that productive 2C, the Sabres are in a very good place. IF Staal isn’t that productive 2C (and I have my doubts he will be), then the team will be around the same as last season. Give or take 10 points.

Edited by Zamboni
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.