Free Agent Frenzy! Oct 9, 2020

spndnchz

1 minute ago, LTS said:

Haha.. how many times are you going to have to tell people that?

I've only seen a few deals that I would have liked the Sabres to be in on, but the players control where they go and frankly Buffalo probably needs to pay more just to get players at this point.

That said.. there are some stupid deals out there.  The 2 year deals look like the players that will end up in Seattle after next season. 🙂

It's not over.. there's still time for more stupid!

That's a good point.

Wennberg, 1 year $2.25 maybe? The guy barely scores more than Zemgus though.

Benning or Verhaege for $1?

The only things I've been pissed off about are salary cap trades.

Just now, dudacek said:

That's a good point.

Wennberg, 1 year $2.25 maybe? The guy barely scores more than Zemgus though.

Benning or Verhaege for $1?

The only things I've been pissed off about are salary cap trades.

And accounts on Wennberg is that he went to Florida because of Bill Zito.

Verhaege would have been an interest, without a doubt, but is he going to change the landscape of the team?  No.

I do wonder what the Tyler Johnson waiver is doing to the market.  Are teams waiting to see who claims him?

1 minute ago, LabattBlue said:

Can someone tell Adams that you identify and fill your biggest holes...FIRST! 😱

Holes are holes they need to all be filled.

Also besides Calgary and perhaps Ottawa who both massively overpaid for their goalies, what teams have made big splashes thus far?

1 minute ago, Ruff Around The Edges said:

Also besides Calgary and perhaps Ottawa who both massively overpaid for their goalies, what teams have made big splashes thus far?

To me it's the totality of the situation that's somewhat disappointing thus far. Risking (at best) Kahun while potentially (at best) overpaying for Girgensons doesn't feel like a good start to improving the team.

• Like (+1) 2

Well, if there’s one thing I definitely don’t want… Is for them to massively overpay for a UFA goalie. Or frankly for any goalie for that matter…. That’s one position that I’m highly allergic to overpaying for goalie services. I don’t care what the name on the back of the sweater is.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Ruff Around The Edges said:

Edmonton just for one and a few others. Not to mention the Sabres need may be greater. I do appreciate your attempts to put a positive spin on things

3 minutes ago, bunomatic said:

Did I miss anything ?

2 Veteran minimum (basically) signings

and re-signing Zemgus

Just now, PerreaultForever said:

Can't believe Minnesota gave Talbot more than Khudobin got from Dallas. If I was a hockey player I'd hire whoever his agent is. Crazy. 

One team needed a goalie and had to attract one to come there, the other one was re-signed to a place he wanted to go back to.

It's going to be a lot like real estate sales this year. The agents will start with small increases over last year's prices but with the cap etc. they won't get those offers this time so they'll start with the price reductions and the good GMs will grab the right moments to pounce. Prices will fall though, it's mostly a buyer's market.

3 minutes ago, Radar said:

The Sabres now are left between a rock and hard place. They have to make a big splash or live with what could be a total fan drop out. I wonder if the Pegulas even care anymore. Keep the Bills and sell the hockey team. 

Question, what "splash" that has already occurred do you wish the Sabres had made?

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, tom webster said:

Oh please, that’s not how it works. The whole league is plugging holes while the big 4-6 forwards and couple of defenseman decide what they want to do.

But with that logic you could argue that all of FA is just teams plugging holes......

yes the couple of Big Fish are taking their time deciding what to do like every year, but most teams can also multi task and make other moves to fill other holes too

Its about 6 hours in and the goalie pile has already been picked through while buffalo has dumpster dived to make sure they obtained 2 bottom of the pile players spending just $1.4 mil. The Sabres will have alot of cap space to overpay some nice lower/mid tier guys to fill out the roster.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Radar said:

The Sabres now are left between a rock and hard place. They have to make a big splash or live with what could be a total fan drop out. I wonder if the Pegulas even care anymore. Keep the Bills and sell the hockey team. 

Oh please. I guess I understand the pessimism but this team made strides last year, has two young superstars and a well respected coach who had one year so far to put this plan into place. Things aren’t anywhere near as dire as some want to keep telling us.

Just now, apuszczalowski said:

But with that logic you could argue that all of FA is just teams plugging holes......

yes the couple of Big Fish are taking their time deciding what to do like every year, but most teams can also multi task and make other moves to fill other holes too

Its about 6 hours in and the goalie pile has already been picked through while buffalo has dumpster dived to make sure they obtained 2 bottom of the pile players spending just $1.4 mil. The Sabres will have alot of cap space to overpay some nice lower/mid tier guys to fill out the roster.

Free agency isn’t the only avenue to obtain a goaltender.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.