Sabres Do Not Qualify Kahun

Brawndo

By the way: Is there a chance that RaKru simply does not want Kahun? I can't recall the details of how Kahun was acquired, but is this potentially one of those situations where there was the disconnect between GM and Coach?

2 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Are you kidding me.  The real estate taxes in Buffalo are double those in Atl and the state income tax rate is over 8% for people making good money. Sales taxes are also 8.75%  

Cost of living is somewhat lower in Buffalo, nonetheless.

1 minute ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Are you kidding me.  The real estate taxes in Buffalo are double those in Atl and the state income tax rate is over 8% for people making good money. Sales taxes are also 8.75%  

There isn't a hockey team in Atlanta. 

Housing is cheap in Buffalo, so sure you might get hit a little more with taxes but your overall cost of living will be lower. Also if you want to have kids, great schools in the burbs here. Your property taxes are a major reason for that. 

10 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

It may not have been true in the past, but I'm pretty sure given the turnover in management, bad team, the rookie GM, bad ownership and high local taxes, that we are near the bottom of any good UFAs wish list.

We are so low on the list for cost of living in NHL cities

2 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

By the way: Is there a chance that RaKru simply does not want Kahun? I can't recall the details of how Kahun was acquired, but is this potentially one of those situations where there was the disconnect between GM and Coach?

It seems like Krueger is almost a de-facto assistant GM, right, so no idea if that could be the case but if Krueger DID have a moderate opinion of Kahun, could easily see them playing hardball for that reason. 

11 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Do you have any idea how cheap it is to live in Buffalo? Or in the area around Buffalo? This isn't a thing. 

Management may make this a less optimal destination but Jack Eichel being here certainly helps. We are an hour from Toronto where a ton of players are from. Buffalo is probably not as low on the list as most ppl think. 

7 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Just now, LGR4GM said:

The thing is taxes are 1 component not all the components for what your contract is really worth. Whats better, paying Toronto housing, food, and taxes or paying Buffalo housing, food, and taxes?

It's so frickin cheap to live in WNY. Anyone who doesn't think so, has never lived anywhere else.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, SwampD said:

It's so frickin cheap to live in WNY. Anyone who doesn't think so, has never lived anywhere else.

In his defense there are places in and around Atlanta that are very cheap, but I would say that it is far cheaper to live in Buffalo than in ATL. 

We don't know the price tag yet, but this is simply a valuation thing:

Is Kahun the borderline top six forward who might be able to put up 50 points? Some here seem to think so.

Or is he a small 35-point 3rd-liner who doesn't add speed or sandpaper or defence? Three general managers seem to think so.

Or maybe the Sabres thought they would rather spend that money on someone like Fast.

Maybe they gambled and maybe they've lost.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, dudacek said:

We don't know the price tag yet, but this is simply a valuation thing:

Is Kahun the borderline top six forward who might be able to put up 50 points? Some here seem to think so.

Or is he a small 35-point 3rd-liner who doesn't add speed or sandpaper or defence? Three general managers seem to think so.

Or maybe the Sabres thought they would rather spend that money on someone like Fast.

Maybe they gambled and maybe they've lost.

Well, they'd have to have a viable back-up plan - it's not an acceptable strategy otherwise. 

Edited by Thorny

3 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Or a Tobi-Rieder guy?

I don't see that. I think Reider is strictly a role player signed to play a role.

Regardless of what you think of Kahun, his departure leaves a hole in the middle six, not the fourth line.

If the Sabres think otherwise, it's a bad sign.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1

So Kahun would accept a 2x2.5M offer from the Sabres...

People think that's a steal...

He's not signed with any other team yet.

So, either no other teams think he's worth 2.5M (or close enough to it) or those numbers are not right.

I know which I believe.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

It seems like Krueger is almost a de-facto assistant GM, right, so no idea if that could be the case but if Krueger DID have a moderate opinion of Kahun, could easily see them playing hardball for that reason. 

1 hour ago, That Aud Smell said:

The RK point is right on -- I am highly confident that RK's view of Kahun is a major factor in the Sabres' calculation here.

1 hour ago, LTS said:

So, either no other teams think he's worth 2.5M (or close enough to it) or those numbers are not right.

I know which I believe.

I agree with this but I can't tell which one you believe!  I'll guess it's that the #s are wrong, which is what I think.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LTS said:

I know which I believe.

Yep, another baseless Twitter rumor that doesn't make a whole lot of sense when you think about it.

1 hour ago, That Aud Smell said:

i suppose, but wasnt he only in buffalo like a week before covid shut everything down. i cant imagine he could have made such a bad image of himself that quick. well, i guess he could have, but i doubt it

i thought them not giving him a qualifying offer was because they didnt want to risk arbitration

Edited by miles

2 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

And our housing prices, even with the recent price increases are probably half of yours in Atlanta.

Do the math...does $250 a month more in property taxes cost more than an extra $1000 on a mortgage?

Pretty clearly no.

• Like (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

The RK point is right on -- I am highly confident that RK's view of Kahun is a major factor in the Sabres' calculation here.

Didn’t RaKru even forget he was on the team one game. I seem to remember that.

5 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

Just saw a Tweet that Kahun wants $2.5M AAV; Sabres want to be south of $2M. I don't get it.

WTF is Viktor Maudr?  Why should I trust him if he doesn’t know the difference between a , and a .  ?

Edited by Curt
  • Haha (+1) 2

12 hours ago, Curt said:

WTF is Viktor Maudr?  Why should I trust him if he doesn’t know the difference between a , and a .  ?

Putting aside the credibility of the tweeter if the Sabres are offering Kahun less than $2M and the player is asking for $2.5 M on a two year deal then I am starting to feel uncomfortable. The salary context is that Girgs got $2.2 M per and TT got $1.7 M per. It is not unreasonable to believe that Kahun is worth somewhere between $2--$2.5 M. In my opinion Kahun is a good third line player who is worth $2M per. I'm aware that the negotiating process is still on going but it would be nice to secure Kahun and then add another piece or two. Kahun is far from being an essential player but he is certainly a nice player who has a contributing role. There is no doubt that Girgs has a different role than Kahun. But Girgs is a more replaceable player and Kahun is the better player. I hope a deal can be worked out for him. 

Edited by JohnC
  • Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, nfreeman said:

I agree with this but I can't tell which one you believe!  I'll guess it's that the #s are wrong, which is what I think.

The numbers are wrong.  Yep.

Kahun probably thinks he should get paid $4MM or $4.1 or whatever it was that he would have asked for in arbitration that scared the Sabres off from qualifying him.  

I am sure the Sabres said, go get a deal and give us a chance to match it.  Let the market dictate your value, not an arbitrator.  Kahun would honor that because he knows that an arbitrator could have just as easily ruled that $2MM was his value and he would be stuck with it. 

Kahun hasn't gone anywhere yet.  I think that's because of the Tyler Johnson waiver.  No one knows where he's going yet and that will trigger the rest of the moves.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.