Sabres Do Not Qualify Kahun

Brawndo

58 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I agree with you that right now he, the more experienced player,  probably is better than Tage. But the contract given to Tage is a three year deal at $1.4 AAV. So even if it is acknowledged that he is currently better that still doesn't make him a $4 M AAV player if that is the money range that is in discussion. 

There is another factor that has to be considered. It is widely assumed that the market is going to be flooded with players let go due to the harsh economics of the game. If that is the case then it is smart to be in a position to procure similar talent at a lesser cost with a shorter term. 

I like what I saw from Kahun last year. He can skate and he is a heady player. But his value is as a good third line player in a market soon flooded by many equally talented players. We shall soon see what the market dictates. 

Oh ya, all of this is true, I just don't want us to get worse this year that's all. I'm fine to let Kahun go if we sign someone else, but if all we have for now is Tage I'm not happy with it. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Trettioåtta said:

Its ok, we paid an extra 13th forward the difference in their demands, so we have a replacement.

Sens or Sabres. Who makes the playoffs first?

I understand the frustration and yes if the Sabres are now done for the off-season, they'll score an F, but with respect you are jumping the gun a bit here. 

Still plenty of Names out there. 

The evaluation of Kahun is baffling, I'll give you that. And to an extent Girgensons and to a slightly lesser extent Thompson. They've gotten progressively weirder lol

Edited by Thorny

Just now, Thorny said:

I understand the frustration and yes if the Sabres are now done for the off-season, they'll score an F, but with respect you are jumping the gun a bit here. 

Slightly dramatic, yes.

However, we have objectively just got worse through this FA period. And we missed the playoffs last year, so its not looking good. Especially when you think of the other teams in our division.

• Like (+1) 1

So in Sheevyn's eyes: Girgensons > Kahun. And is to be paid accordingly.

Kahun scored 31 and 37 points while barely getting any PP time. Girgs has scored 30 points once --- on a top line with Ennis and Moulson. We need middle 6 scoring talent. Girgs is a good player, a solid defensive forward, but that contract is going to look worse and worse each year with the flat cap and we rely on rookies to carry the middle. Give Girgs 1.8 and use the excess cash from that contract to get Kahun up to 2.5 and it makes more sense. (And I know they're technically on opposite wings.)

10 minutes ago, Thorny said:

The evaluation of Kahun is baffling, I'll give you that. And to an extent Girgensons and to a slightly lesser extent Thompson. They've gotten progressively weirder lol

I don't mind the Thompson extension as he still unproven but Girgensons ugh nothing more than a 3rd/4th liner at best I say toss him and keep Kahun 99% of the time. 

1 minute ago, DarthEbriate said:

So in Sheevyn's eyes: Girgensons > Kahun. And is to be paid accordingly.

Kahun scored 31 and 37 points while barely getting any PP time. Girgs has scored 30 points once --- on a top line with Ennis and Moulson. We need middle 6 scoring talent. Girgs is a good player, a solid defensive forward, but that contract is going to look worse and worse each year with the flat cap and we rely on rookies to carry the middle. Give Girgs 1.8 and use the excess cash from that contract to get Kahun up to 2.5 and it makes more sense. (And I know they're technically on opposite wings.)

Agree, Kahun can play left wing too though. 

5 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Agree, Kahun can play left wing too though. 

Yes -- and we even speculated upon his arrival he'd get a shot as 3C this year (and we were likely doomed if he was penciled in as 2C by JBot). And Girgs can do either wing and once upon a time was a center as well. They're both useful in their way. But Girgs is not going to provide the secondary scoring unless we get a Larsson replacement who's also an offensive upgrade as well. Heck, Girgs didn't even provide secondary scoring when he was on Eichel's wing and they were sheltered by the ROR-line.

4 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

More proof the KA has no idea what he is doing.  Paying 2.2 to Girgensons who is a 4th line player and being unwilling to pay a top 6/9 forward 2.5 is simply stupid.  

The 500k gap is less than what we just gave Reider too

Just now, GASabresIUFAN said:

It simply makes no sense.  No decent UFAs want to come here.  You have to keep the guys who are here who can help your team.  

Can we just not do this anymore? It isn't true, it hasn't been true, there's lots of evidence of it not being true. 

2 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Can we just not do this anymore? It isn't true, it hasn't been true, there's lots of evidence of it not being true. 

It may not have been true in the past, but I'm pretty sure given the turnover in management, bad team, the rookie GM, bad ownership and high local taxes, that we are near the bottom of any good UFAs wish list.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

Just now, GASabresIUFAN said:

It may not have been true in the past, but I'm pretty sure given the turnover in management, the rookie GM, bad ownership and high local taxes, that we are near the bottom of any good UFAs wish list.

Do you have any idea how cheap it is to live in Buffalo? Or in the area around Buffalo? This isn't a thing. 

Management may make this a less optimal destination but Jack Eichel being here certainly helps. We are an hour from Toronto where a ton of players are from. Buffalo is probably not as low on the list as most ppl think. 

5 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Even if it's not true, you are always playing a low-odds game trying to lure the particular UFAs you want. There are 31 teams and you are 1 of them. 

People get the idea their hometown is undesireable to FAs cause they hit so infrequently. They hit infrequently cause math. 

Edited by Thorny

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

Do you have any idea how cheap it is to live in Buffalo? Or in the area around Buffalo? This isn't a thing. 

Management may make this a less optimal destination but Jack Eichel being here certainly helps. We are an hour from Toronto where a ton of players are from. Buffalo is probably not as low on the list as most ppl think. 

Are you kidding me.  The real estate taxes in Buffalo are double those in Atl and the state income tax rate is over 8% for people making good money. Sales taxes are also 8.75%  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.