2020-21 Trade Rumors and Speculation

Brawndo

23 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Nope.

What's Browns contract like?

1 more year, $5.8M

So pretty much the same cost and term as Risto.

Its irrelevant anyway, he has a MNTC and there is no way Buffalo isn’t on his do not trade list.

1 hour ago, Flashsabre said:

Risto for Turcotte is much more appealing.

You know that there is just no way this is even close, right?

20 minutes ago, Curt said:

1 more year, $5.8M

So pretty much the same cost and term as Risto.

Its irrelevant anyway, he has a MNTC and there is no way Buffalo isn’t on his do not trade list.

You know that there is just no way this is even close, right?

Brown is from Ithaca so I wouldn’t assume he has Buffalo on his list but there is no way Buffalo is trading for a 36 year old forward.

• Like (+1) 3

I also thought of Risto for Brown and a 1st.

Mainly for a heavy playing vet from the region and to replace Risto’s grit. 

Trading Risto merely for a 2022 2nd is nothing short of a throw away with the questionable belief we’ll be noticeably better without him.

3 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

Trading Risto merely for a 2022 2nd is nothing short of a throw away with the questionable belief we’ll be noticeably better without him.

From a defensive zone standpoint they are better with him off the ice. 

From an offensive standpoint it’s closer, but justifying a 5.4 Million Dollar Cap Hit not so much 

3 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

5 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

From a defensive zone standpoint they are better with him off the ice. 

From an offensive standpoint it’s closer, but justifying a 5.4 Million Dollar Cap Hit not so much 

For me it's more of a question of whether we get a better return now, at the draft, or at the deadline next year.

On 4/2/2021 at 8:05 AM, thewookie1 said:

To BUF:
Armia
Kulak
Lehkonen
Weal (Cap Dump)
2021 1st round pick (MTL)
2022 2nd round pick (MTL)

To MTL:
Hall(50%)
Montour(50%)

All Buffalo would need to do is put McCabe on LTIR for a couple days to put Weal on either the Taxi Squad or AHL.

Any thoughts?

This looks like the ROR trade.  We get a few picks and a bag of garbage to go with our current garbage.  

1 minute ago, Pimlach said:

This looks like the ROR trade.  We get a few picks and a bag of garbage to go with our current garbage.  

But give up two expiring contacts instead of a first line centre 

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

But give up two expiring contacts instead of a first line centre 

Sure.  The picks are fine but make them  put in a real prospect instead of 3 players that won’t help us.  

1 minute ago, Pimlach said:

Sure.  The picks are fine but make them  put in a real prospect instead of 3 players that won’t help us.  

I’m with you on that if possible, if not I’d hope to convert some picks into real players/prospects in other deals 

33 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Sure, if they can get it.  I don’t see Hall being worth much more than a 1st, and I’d be surprised if Montour returns a 2nd, soooo.....

27 minutes ago, Curt said:

Sure, if they can get it.  I don’t see Hall being worth much more than a 1st, and I’d be surprised if Montour returns a 2nd, soooo.....

The draft picks are like lottery tickets.  A known prospect that has been continuously scouted after the draft, could be a better option than a late 1 or a 2.   Of course given our situation with a gutted scouting department, we might not even have the detailed knowledge within our organization.  Another bad artifact of the constant change.  

Whoever gets Hall/Montour is getting someone they think is immediate help in their quest for a Cup.   Montour is worth a 2, just as Scandella was worth a 2.   Why do we settle for “just get something/anything before the player  leaves”.    I’m tired of the loser mindset.  Since when is it asking a lot to have a shrewd GM that can win some trades, or even make a win-win trade?   The Scandella-Frolik debacle is fresh in my mind.  

Like 30 other GMs, I pretty much know in the end we will settle for whatever we can get. 

36 minutes ago, Cascade Youth said:

Concerns league-wide about “the character of Jack Eichel.”  Interesting.

32 minutes ago, inkman said:

Could be something there.  Could be completely made up BS. 

Also could just be one guy who doesn’t like Jack.  Maybe he heard a bad story about Jack when he was 16 and it stuck with him.

40 minutes ago, Cascade Youth said:

Concerns league-wide about “the character of Jack Eichel.”  Interesting.

The guy who worked out all off-season and rented ice time to be ready for the season... yea, lots of concerns about his character. lol

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

I think that Buffalo really needs to move Montour.  There are teams out there who need a D (FLA, CAR), and Montour isn’t coming back.  And Buffalo definitely could move another RD either at the deadline or offseason.  Jokiharju and Borgen need to play, and Risto and Miller have a year left each.

Buffalo really should resign Ullmark.  I have a hard time moving on from him, but also a hard time giving goalies too much term.  I also feel like unless Ullmark flat out says that he wants to move on, you should probably just keep him through the trade deadline.

Hall needs to go of course.

I think Hall and Montour will go for picks, and that’s it.

Regarding Dreger's tweet, if KA views Linus as foundational, he should be working on giving him an extension before the deadline.

(But I'm not a fan of Dreger's, so I wouldn't be surprised if he were out to lunch on that.)

I also don't see why Montour isn't just as certain to be traded as Hall is.  Montour isn't coming back and will get them at least a 3rd-rounder and possibly more.