2020-21 Trade Rumors and Speculation

Brawndo

18 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

KA all alone at the wheel scares the ***** out of me.     

Was hoping he would have some help by now, oh well, classic Sabres.

I hope he’s better than Chum Lee at wheeling and dealing😳

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, dudacek said:

WTF?

Did I not just post the bones of this trade yesterday?

Who is the puck authority?

Ya, I'm calling it now, you've been the victim of intellectual property theft. William Mattar won't help you here 😉

But seriously, you did post on it, someone is shadowing you lol

17 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Not happening, but if it did this would be a great job by Adams 

Whoa, the “fact” that Ullmark is being shopped around would indicate to me that he is not particularly eager to resign in Buffalo.  If that’s the case then it would be sad to see him go, but it’s probably better to get assets for him.

I can not imagine that Hall + Ullmark would net Anderson (injured rental for salary balance), Robertson, Sandin, and another prospect.

Those pieces might all be in the discussion as possibilities, but I can’t imagine.  It’s got to be a “either/or” situation, not an “and” situation.

17 minutes ago, Curt said:

Whoa, the “fact” that Ullmark is being shopped around would indicate to me that he is not particularly eager to resign in Buffalo.  If that’s the case then it would be sad to see him go, but it’s probably better to get assets for him.

I can not imagine that Hall + Ullmark would net Anderson (injured rental for salary balance), Robertson, Sandin, and another prospect.

Those pieces might all be in the discussion as possibilities, but I can’t imagine.  It’s got to be a “either/or” situation, not an “and” situation.

I don't think this Twitter account has any more sources than I do, but I agree with you and @Brawndo that this would be a haul for the Sabres.

Hall's worth seems to be getting pegged as a late 1st to late 2nd. I can see a world where Rasmus Sandin's value is pegged similarly.

Contrary to what most fans might think, I see Ullmark is a huge on-ice upgrade and a $2.4 million cap savings from Anderson. That has to be worth a good return. But I doubt it would get you Nick Robertson on his own, let alone Robertson and another prospect.

I don't see this happening, but the pieces are interesting to speculate on.

A top 6 LW has been talked about as the Leafs preferred add this deadline. Their top prospects are allegedly on the table. Personally, I think Ullmark makes the Leafs a legit cup contender. It would be interesting to see if Dubas feels the same way.

4 minutes ago, Carmel Corn said:

Please share why you think this is a good trade scenario....I don't know much about the Leaf's prospects, but I am not overwhelmed by what I've read.

Robertson is an excellent prospect 10 points in 12 games in the AHL this year after leading the OHL in scoring last year.

Sandin is a good prospect. Probably ranks at a similar level to where Jokiharju was when we got him from Chicago.

Getting two young players who are close to NHL ready would be the ideal scenario for the Sabres.

Edited by dudacek

18 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I don't think this Twitter account has any more sources than I do, but I agree with you and @Brawndo that this would be a haul for the Sabres.

Hall's worth seems to be getting pegged as a late 1st to late 2nd. I can see a world where Rasmus Sandin's value is pegged similarly.

Contrary to what most fans might think, I see Ullmark is a huge on-ice upgrade and a $2.4 million cap savings from Anderson. That has to be worth a good return. But I doubt it would get you Nick Robertson on his own, let alone Robertson and another prospect.

I don't see this happening, but the pieces are interesting to speculate on.

A top 6 LW has been talked about as the Leafs preferred add this deadline. Their top prospects are allegedly on the table. Personally, I think Ullmark makes the Leafs a legit cup contender. It would be interesting to see if Dubas feels the same way.

Robertson is an excellent prospect 10 points in 12 games in the AHL this year after leading the OHL in scoring last year.

Sandin is a good prospect. Probably ranks at a similar level to where Jokiharju was when we got him from Chicago.

Getting two young players who are close to NHL ready would be the ideal scenario for the Sabres.

Ullmark would certainly be a big upgrade for Toronto.  Anderson can be very good, but he is dealing with injuries and it’s uncertain if he will even be able to play, never mind play well.  Their situation in goal is extremely precarious and Ullmark would bring much needed stability.

2 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

The only way I'd trade Ullmark to the Leafs is for that kind of haul plus the knowledge he would like to return.

Otherwise I'd rather not give the Leafs any hope of winning the Cup even at our slight detriment. 

I'd love a 1st, and Rasmus Sandin in the midst of the deal.  I would personally rather get Kerfoot than Andersen.  Everyone here knows Andersen will not re-sign with Buffalo.

1 minute ago, TheCerebral1 said:

I agree, if you can get Sandin, and Robertson and a prospect, I'd do that in a heartbeat.  Then flip Andersen.

You can’t flip Anderson.  He is making $5M and is injured.  He hasn’t played in 3 weeks and he wasn’t playing well before that.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Only if you consider him blameless in not convincing Ullmark to sign. He's the best piece in the deal 

Robertson is the Leafs Best Prospect and steps in Hyman’s Role as LW1 next season.

I don’t blame the guy that has been here for less than a year, I blame the ineptitude at the Top of the Organization over the past decade 

Just now, Let's Go B-Lo said:

I think the idea is that Andersen is hurt.  He'd been playing through it and couldn't anymore and if they made a deal like this it would be because they don't think he'd be ready for the playoffs.

My bad.

2 minutes ago, Curt said:

You can’t flip Anderson.  He is making $5M and is injured.  He hasn’t played in 3 weeks and he wasn’t playing well before that.

I don't typically pay attention to the Leafs, so fair play.  Sorry for the mistake on my part.

1 minute ago, Brawndo said:

Robertson is the Leafs Best Prospect and steps in Hyman’s Role as LW1 next season.

I don’t blame the guy that has been here for less than a year, I blame the ineptitude at the Top of the Organization over the past decade 

Oh ya I'd be thrilled to add Roberton but Ullmark I'd say is still more valuable to us right now. That's why I asked about the blame thing. 

1 minute ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

And let's remember, if that deal happens and the Sabres retain 50% on Hall AND Ullmark, they can't retain salary on any more trades this year.  Nobody wants the current Freddy Andersen at 5M cap hit.

Yeah, I don’t know the exact numbers for all the possible trades.  Maybe they wouldnt need to retain the full 50% on all of Hall, Ullmark, and Montour.

2 minutes ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

Right, but guys with value extract the most value in return.  The Sabres don't really have a goalie at all after Ullmark so trading him away would require something seriously worthwhile in return.  His situation is somewhat different from Hall's.  The Sabres could live without Hall. Without Ullmark it's going to be really rough. As a GM you'd really have to convince me to put myself into that situation voluntarily.

I'm not sure we could afford to make the trade if Ullmark was willing to sign with us. Could we trust Freddie as the #1? And remember, we still need to add another goalie 

Edited by Thorny

11 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Oh ya I'd be thrilled to add Roberton but Ullmark I'd say is still more valuable to us right now. That's why I asked about the blame thing. 

If a UFA wants to move on from Buffalo, I think it would unreasonable to expect a GM to be able to sweet talk them into signing with Buffalo right now.  They have seen the tire fire.  

7 minutes ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

To me re-signing Ullmark is the same thing as re-signing Andersen.  You'd have to sign someone at the end of the year either way with no guarantee that either of them want to sign with you.  Ullmark and Andersen both go into the same UFA pool at the end of the year and will be competing for the same money with the same other teams that also need a goalie.

I guess my point is that not trading Ullmark now doesn't even remotely guarantee you having Ullmark next season anyway so if he helps you get pieces you need you get those pieces and sign your goalies in the summer just like you would have had to anyway.

People always say this but anecdotally speaking I don't think it holds much weight. Seems to me we'd be much more likely to end up keeping him if we kept him here and maintained sole negotiating rights, than we would be if we dealt him at the deadline. You don't see those players return that often. 

I'm not saying that if he wants to leave, the act of not trading him keeps him here - but perhaps it's revelatory: if we don't trade him, it shows he's interested in staying. 

3 minutes ago, Curt said:

If a UFA wants to move on from Buffalo, I think it would unreasonable to expect a GM to be able to sweet talk them into signing with Buffalo right now.  They have seen the tire fire.  

Let's hope that's not the case 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

Right, but guys with value extract the most value in return.  The Sabres don't really have a goalie at all after Ullmark so trading him away would require something seriously worthwhile in return.  His situation is somewhat different from Hall's.  The Sabres could live without Hall. Without Ullmark it's going to be really rough. As a GM you'd really have to convince me to put myself into that situation voluntarily.

The 50% isn't the problem, it's that you can only retain money on 3 contracts at a time and they already retained part of Staal.  They have 2 more.

Ooohh, I totally forgot that you can only retain on 3 contracts.