NHL Considering a July Re-start

Brawndo

It's going to be interesting to see how our country and the world reopens.  July could be realistic if they can hammer out a bunch of issues on timing / contracts with the players & refs.  (Basing that most of the US opening in May and travel with Canada resuming sometime in June.  If either don't happen, this current season is done.  Probably is anyway, but they COULD pull off playoffs starting in July.)

59 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

I'd be down to watch. I assume they're going to try and keep the 2020-21 season to a minimal delay as well? (Of course, whether or not the next wave winds up canceling that is another matter, but I do anticipate them to have plans assuming that doesn't happen as well as plans for when it does) 

Maybe The Offseason in Sept-October training camps with a start in November. No bye weeks or All Star Break, Stanley Cup Final late June 2021? 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Weave said:

Hockey in July?  Why bother.  There is life outside that needs living....

16 minutes ago, nucci said:

Playoff hockey in an empty arena would be weird. Part of the excitement of playoff hockey is the crowd noise. Imagine an OT winner and no noise

Playoff games with no crowds would be borderline not worth watching for me.  It would be interesting to watch a few games, though, to see the level of aggressiveness in the players.  I'm not sure it would be where it normally is with no crowd.  Maybe I'm wrong on that.

I don't see the point of the NHL staging games without a crowd; they actually need the ticket revenue unlike other sports in N. America.

July is too early to re-start, unless the crowds aren't involved.  I guess that could happen.

I think it's time to shut things down until next season.  

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, Kruppstahl said:

Playoff games with no crowds would be borderline not worth watching for me.  It would be interesting to watch a few games, though, to see the level of aggressiveness in the players.  I'm not sure it would be where it normally is with no crowd.  Maybe I'm wrong on that.

I don't see the point of the NHL staging games without a crowd; they actually need the ticket revenue unlike other sports in N. America.

July is too early to re-start, unless the crowds aren't involved.  I guess that could happen.

I think it's time to shut things down until next season.  

Not sure how that would work with following season starting in October

• Like (+1) 1

At the current state of affairs ... we are still not seen the top of the mountain (?), curve (?) ... whatever they call it ... here in NS.  It is still getting worse and when it really gets to Africa I see no way that it will not be making at least one more trip around the globe after that.

So, July 2121?  Maybe?

Seriously, why are they even thinking of such a thing?

1 minute ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

At the current state of affairs ... we are still not seen the top of the mountain (?), curve (?) ... whatever they call it ... here in NS.  It is still getting worse and when it really gets to Africa I see no way that it will not be making at least one more trip around the globe after that.

So, July 2121?  Maybe?

according to the LT Gov of Texas.....there are more important things than living

1 hour ago, WildCard said:

Ba-humbug 

Thank God. It's a good test run for other leagues too. Is this for the regular season, or just the playoffs?

And if players start testing positive and God forbid dying, I guess they are just canaries for our sports leagues?  Can we let the Bruins and Leafs play a few games first?  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

So, July 2121?  Maybe?

Not to mention funnelling test kits to pro sports teams when hospitals and the public can't get them. Not a good look.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Not to mention funnelling test kits to pro sports teams when hospitals and the public can't get them. Not a good look.

On the surface I’d agree.

I’m not sure access to test kits is going to be the issue it has been two or three months from now.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.