NHL Considering a July Re-start

Brawndo

Just now, PromoTheRobot said:

Well allegedly there were going to be millions of tests available a month ago.

Not sure about where the figure or the time frame you are quoting comes from, but the number of tests being done daily world wide has increased considerably.

1 minute ago, LabattBlue said:

Just cancel already.  This is embarrassing.  Who cares about hockey in the middle of summer played in empty arenas?

The NHL. Anyone who is upset about layoffs at Pegula Sports and Entertainment. Me.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Weave said:

Hockey in July?  Why bother.  There is life outside that needs living....

Yeah, I’m not sure where I am on this.  I guess, given our status, I moved to “season over” quickly.   Maybe not rightly, but quickly.   

41 minutes ago, Neo said:

Yeah, I’m not sure where I am on this.  I guess, given our status, I moved to “season over” quickly.   Maybe not rightly, but quickly.   

I want hockey in July as much as I want Christmas in July. I’m with @Weave, there’s just too much to do outside to stop and watch a barren hockey game. I would apologize to the hockey gods for my blasphemy, but maybe those jerks need to see how much they need us, the fan. There really is no better fan base than the Buffalo fan base. Ain’t I righter than rain @Theana745

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, miles said:

if its played in neutral site, i better get a refund on the tickets to the 3 games i have been waiting on a refund for. 

so ridiculous to keep us hanging like this

I’m missing out on eight Amerks home games and those rounds of free playoff tickets that were promised when I renewed my seasons last year. I’ve been asking my wife(she’s in ticket management)if I should hold my breath about a refund. She isn’t hopeful considering there hasn’t been any communication from the organization is over a month. It’s starting to seem that you’re going to need to fight like hell to get any money back. 

8 hours ago, Kruppstahl said:

Playoff games with no crowds would be borderline not worth watching for me.  It would be interesting to watch a few games, though, to see the level of aggressiveness in the players.  I'm not sure it would be where it normally is with no crowd.  Maybe I'm wrong on that.

I don't see the point of the NHL staging games without a crowd; they actually need the ticket revenue unlike other sports in N. America.

July is too early to re-start, unless the crowds aren't involved.  I guess that could happen.

I think it's time to shut things down until next season.  

Exactly. The KISS principle. No need to complicate things and make it a bigger mess than it already is.

3 hours ago, Hank said:

I would think with no fans the broadcast would be able to pick up the players chirping at each other? I'd like to see that. 

@#$%^&*></#%##!!!

2 hours ago, Ogre said:

I’m missing out on eight Amerks home games and those rounds of free playoff tickets that were promised when I renewed my seasons last year. I’ve been asking my wife(she’s in ticket management)if I should hold my breath about a refund. She isn’t hopeful considering there hasn’t been any communication from the organization is over a month. It’s starting to seem that you’re going to need to fight like hell to get any money back. 

mine was ordered through stub hub. i will gladly call my credit card company and file a chargeback. im just waiting for an official cancellation so i give them a chance to do it right

4 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Not to mention funnelling test kits to pro sports teams when hospitals and the public can't get them. Not a good look.

USC is testing 10,000 people affiliated with the MLB as part of a study including players, management, team personnel and stadium workers. I’m sure a Canadian University would do the same for the NHL. 

That being said Frontline Workers should be at the front at the line for any antibody testing. 

28 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

I've watched some pretty empty WJC games, and enjoyed them well enough.

When I've been to the world championships to watch Great Britain I have seen us play Italy and Kazakstan with 200 of us in a 12,000 seater arena. Still enjoyed it.

• Like (+1) 1

There is always life outside hockey regardless of a pandemic or not. THIS is the lesson that a lot of people (including myself at times) need to learn from this more then anything else.

As far as those saying 'please don't play July hockey because we all need to be sheltered' I say no. Its time to get moving, of course with some sort of direction, balance, and being efficient and smart with everything we do. We all have a small role to play in beating this pandemic. And we will.

Hockey is a business as we all know. Owners want to make money, players want to earn and play. Fans want to consume, its as simple as that. They should do everything to get back provided the safety check marks are all green, like Bettman has said several times.

If the July hockey bothers you, sports has been and is always a choice. If someone does not like it, don't watch. It's that simple. As far as I stand, if there is a Sabres/Caps game on July 16th in some neutral arena with no fans, you bet Ill be watching and cursing off Botterill in the summer heat.

Edited by Ruff Around The Edges
  • Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Maybe @Hank was questioning the first part and was wondering why you were mentioning an old and decrepit rock and roll band in your post about hockey in July?

It had nothing to do with the band. KISS = Keep It Simple, Stupid.

4 hours ago, Hawerchuk said:

Cellino and Barnes will.

I remember hearing about the potential messy legal divorce that firm was going to have. Did they reconcile?

• Thanks (+1) 1

19 hours ago, Crosschecking said:

I remember hearing about the potential messy legal divorce that firm was going to have. Did they reconcile?

This is what i found:

https://www.distractify.com/p/cellino-and-barnes-feud

IN SUMMARY:

"Finally, in January 2020, the Cellino and Barnes divorce became official.

What an emotional rollercoaster! In an affidavit filed January 3, 2020, Cellino states, "Barnes now accepts the reality of this situation and...will consent to a dissolution of Cellino & Barnes P.C." The two are now officially free to open up their very own law firms, free of each other once and for all.

"In light of respondent Barnes' capitulation, and ongoing negotiations between us regarding issues involves in the windup process, respondent Barnes and I are each making plans to be prepared in the very near future — i.e. within the next 30 days — to open our own separate law firms," he continued. 

In a local news report published January 22, 2020, we learned that Cellino and Barnes have finally decided on their new firm names. Cellino's is now Cellino Law, and Barnes' is the Barnes Firm. But the drama isn't over, because...

Barnes' girlfriend is now suing Cellino.

According to Buffalo News, Barnes' girlfriend, Ellen Sturm, is suing Cellino over an alleged bonus that was never given to her. Last month, Barnes' girlfriend stated that she worked on a specific case for seven years and called it "one of the biggest personal injury settlements in American history." She's suing for a total of $3.7 million.

A part of us wonders if Cellilo and Barnes will always be fighting...just to stay in each other's lives. It's the best twisted romance plot we could ever hope for. "

• Haha (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.