COVID-19

Indabuff

3 hours ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

I posted this in the complaint thread and didn't want to wait a week to follow up. My kid was fully cleared by cardiology today and can return to hockey and track tomorrow. No follow up required, nothing of clinical concern. Bullet dodged.

That's great!

I'm on day 10.    Feeling much much better, symptom free the past 2 days, energy levels improving.    Only thing is a lingering cough, a little tightness in the chest, typical of past respiratory viruses I've had in the past which can linger for a few weeks.    I consider myself lucky, and best of all my wife and 2 boys did not catch it.  

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Eleven said:

It's not just COVID for the BTF.  As long as Rumore is in power, our children will not be educated adequately.  Ultimately, we all will suffer, because the aim of public education is to ensure that we are not surrounded by idiots.

When a Parent of Buffalo School Student says the purpose of the BTF is to be there for the students, all I can do chuckle 

1 hour ago, Brawndo said:

When a Parent of Buffalo School Student says the purpose of the BTF is to be there for the students, all I can do chuckle 

Has any parent actually said that?!    But we are drifting from the subject.

Edited by Eleven

3 hours ago, Brawndo said:

The "parents" pay the school taxes that make the payroll for educators possible, so yes, they should be there for the students. It's what they are paid to do. Paid by the parents, did I mention that? It's kind of rather REALLY REALLY IMPORTANT.

2 hours ago, Eleven said:

Has any parent actually said that?!    But we are drifting from the subject.

So what if they did? They pay the payroll.

33 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

The "parents" pay the school taxes that make the payroll for educators possible, so yes, they should be there for the students. It's what they are paid to do. Paid by the parents, did I mention that? It's kind of rather REALLY REALLY IMPORTANT.

Again, we are drifting far from the subject, but it is not only parents who pay school taxes.  Especially for NYS's five largest school districts, one of which is Buffalo.  I pay taxes that fund schools because I don't want to live in a society of uneducated people.  I don't have children.

That's kind of rather REALLY REALLY IMPORTANT.

I also think you're confusing the purpose of the BTF with the purpose of teachers.

Anyway.  Back to COVID?

Edited by Eleven

4 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Not trying to be rude but what is this supposed to mean? I coach youth sports to be there for the kids. Isn’t that the job of a teacher?

1 hour ago, Eleven said:

Again, we are drifting far from the subject, but it is not only parents who pay school taxes.  Especially for NYS's five largest school districts, one of which is Buffalo.  I pay taxes that fund schools because I don't want to live in a society of uneducated people.  I don't have children.

Unless you have an opt-out right that I'm not aware of, that's not the reason.

8 hours ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

What I'm saying is incubation can be up to 14 days.

I had symptoms and tested positive 11 days ago.       

symptoms (fever, fatigue, sore throat, body ache)  lasted  7-8 days.     

I have smell back, but only in my left nostril.    Some taste is starting to come back as well.    

Edited by pi2000

9 hours ago, #freejame said:

Not trying to be rude but what is this supposed to mean? I coach youth sports to be there for the kids. Isn’t that the job of a teacher?

It’s regarding the Buffalo Teachers Federation as an organization. Some people believe that is exists to serve the needs of the students, while others believe particularly the Union President Phil Rumore that the needs of the teachers are the number one priority and His Actions reflect this.

10 hours ago, Scottysabres said:

That wasn’t a shot against the parents at all. I believe the sole purpose of the BTF should be providing the Best Education possible to the Students of the Buffalo Public Schools. Unfortunately there are a few people in the Union, particularly Phil Rumore who believe that it exists to serve the needs of the teachers over the needs of the students.

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

That wasn’t a shot against the parents at all. I believe the sole purpose of the BTF should be providing the Best Education possible to the Students of the Buffalo Public Schools. Unfortunately there are a few people in the Union, particularly Phil Rumore who believe that it exists to serve the needs of the teachers over the needs of the students.

Agreed.

Not familiar with Rumore outside of what is reported. I will say this, a bit off the beaten path, teachers should be high on the vaccination list. 

8 hours ago, pi2000 said:

I had symptoms and tested positive 11 days ago.       

symptoms (fever, fatigue, sore throat, body ache)  lasted  7-8 days.     

I have smell back, but only in my left nostril.    Some taste is starting to come back as well.    

Get well pi. Very sorry you caught it.

7 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

I will say this, a bit off the beaten path, teachers should be high on the vaccination list. 

Definitely.  I have problems with Rumore and the BTF, but not with teachers as a group.  Teachers should be allowed to be vaccinated before they are required to go back into classrooms.

Edited by Eleven
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Brawndo said:

It’s regarding the Buffalo Teachers Federation as an organization. Some people believe that is exists to serve the needs of the students, while others believe particularly the Union President Phil Rumore that the needs of the teachers are the number one priority and His Actions reflect this.

I gotcha, thanks. I think I would agree with you. The teachers union serves the teachers, but teachers should serve students. Creates an interesting dynamic. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Eleven said:

Definitely.  I have problems with Rumore and the BTF, but not with teachers as a group.  Teachers should be allowed to be vaccinated before they are required to go back into classrooms.

Well, teachers in NYS have been eligible for the vaccine for over a month, although that of course doesn't mean the supply has been there.

One interesting question is whether they should be required to be vaccinated ASAP as a condition of continued employment, so that in-person schools can reopen in full.

8 hours ago, Doohickie said:

I was supposed to get my first shot today (Saturday), but the Texas Freezocalypse pushed all appointments back a week.

how much snow did you get?  

today is my wife's birthday. she is insisting on having a small party with her mother and sister and her sisters boyfriend. we are 3 weeks away from our second vaccine shot and really wished she would have just put her birthday on hold until after we got our shots, but cant tell her anything. makes me so mad

4 hours ago, miles said:

how much snow did you get? 

About 5 inches.  It's entirely melted now (51 outside).  Roads were safe enough to get the shot yesterday but a lot of people are still dealing with power and water issues so delaying a week was probably the right call.

I love how the media gives half or no truth in their stories

I read articles that say the vaccine does not work against the new virus strain. And "its a race against time" at the very end you read the single sentence that says the vaccine does in fact prevent the new strain from becoming serious and another article even said that it does about 35% of the typical antibody and that is typically enough to kill it right away.  And that last sentence only appears in a couple of the articles and contradicts the entire story

I agree the vaccine is not the same strength against the variant as the one its designed for but when these articles makes claims its a race against time. I dont know why i read stuff. At this point I think most if not all is partial truth only and should be for entertainment purposes only 

Its all clickbait garbage. It just irritates me anymore that our media, in general, has lost its integrity and as people we haven't come back and said mo more lies. The authors and the outlets that run it should be held financially accountable for lies and fear mongering.

Just to add, i just read an article written by mesia outside of the usa and they are writing hiw good tge vaccine is when it comes to preventing serious issues. It also spoke about how the us media is playing up the bad stuff only, even though its such a small percentage. 

I do like that people called out nbc for focussing on the 4 people that got covid in one state after getting vaccinated fully, and people called them out on fear mongering. it needs to happen all the time. With everyone wanting to "cancel" everything, why not lying media

Edited by miles

I spoke too soon.

Wife continued to have symptoms even after the negative test result.  They were getting worse so she was retested today.  She's tested positive.  We're in quarantine now.  I get tested tomorrow.

I'm symptom free and she's sicker than a dog.  Says she's never experienced headahes like this before.  And the dry cough she's got is awful to listen to.  I can only imagine that it feels much worse for her.  And today is her first day with a fever.

I figure it's only a matter of time for me.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 3

15 minutes ago, Weave said:

I spoke too soon.

Wife continued to have symptoms even after the negative test result.  They were getting worse so she was retested today.  She's tested positive.  We're in quarantine now.  I get tested tomorrow.

I'm symptom free and she's sicker than a dog.  Says she's never experienced headahes like this before.  And the dry cough she's got is awful to listen to.  I can only imagine that it feels much worse for her.  And today is her first day with a fever.

I figure it's only a matter of time for me.

Sorry to hear. It sounds awful. Feel better soon. At least there’s a game to watch tonight to make you feel more miserable.