COVID-19

Indabuff

11 minutes ago, dudacek said:

One in nine people vaccinated isn't even close to amount needed to slow transmission. Even 50 per cent means that half the people you come in contact with are potential carriers.

Exactly.

Not to mention that as COVID continues to mutate, as all viruses do, there is more and more information coming out that the scientists do not think that these vaccines are very effective against the new variants.

This sunday will be 14 days past my 2nd vaccine shot, which means I will be fully vaccinated. I have been so careful because I am high risk, but im concerned if i start going out and about now. 

Honestly, in the past 1 year plus, i have left the house only a handful of times.   There are so many things i want to do and places to go that i haven't done in so long. 

I dont know why but im nervous about it. Im hoping with time it will get easier for me.  I was a germaphobe before this started and much worse of one now

Edited by Mike Honcho

I was sick in bed with the chills and a headache for two days...third day (Friday) was better. I still have a bit of a headache. Small price to pay. Stay safe everyone!!!!!

Edited by Ducky
  • Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Mike Honcho said:

I have been thinking the last couple of days. How do truly know the vaccine works well with such a small amount of test cases.

Looking at nj positive cases is still not going down even though there are 1 million people vaccinated in the state. I wish i could see how many were from people who have been vaccinated 

Our county in Texas went down dramatically a month ago and is staying down.  Confusingly, the gov lifted restaurant restricions and mask mandates although businesses can still choose to invoke both.  The result seems to be businesses doing what they can to protect employees, people who've been following the mask mandate doubling down and, perhaps, the vaccine starting to take effect.

Today it was announced that starting Monday, ANY adult in Texas may get vaccinated.  As much as I hate the way the state has handled the pandemic, I have to admit that getting people vaxxed has happened much quicker than I expected.

I also think that for those hesitant to get the vaccine, there may be lingering restrictions that will encourage them to do so... stuff like you can attend that NHL game if you're fully vaxxed or if not you have to be tested and wear a mask.  The social anti-vaxxers (as opposed to hardcore anti-vaxxers) will get tired of it and get the shot.

1 minute ago, Indabuff said:

FWIW, my wife had it (I'm having difficulty mentioning the virus by name) and recovered a couple months ago.  This week she began to smell an "odor of smoke" everywhere.  Apparently it's a thing.  

Sounds like it's part of the recovery; this is a good thing!

My wife is now fully vaccinated. she hit the 2 weeks after her 2nd shot at 6pm tonight. Im fully vaccinated at technically 4pm sunday

I found out today my good friend tested positive. he went to a bar with friends for a birthday and 2 of the people tested positive dis week with flu like symptoms. my friend has a fever and tired and weak. Im hoping he gets better soon. Unfortunately my friend had been very good about not going out unless needed and dis was his first time out really

He is the 3rd person i know personally with covid, with there being 4 total cases. One person got it twice.

Edited by Mike Honcho
  • Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Mike Honcho said:

My wife is now fully vaccinated. she hit the 2 weeks after her 2nd shot at 6pm tonight. Im fully vaccinated at technically 4pm sunday

I found out today my good friend tested positive. he went to a bar with friends for a birthday and 2 of the people tested positive dis week with flu like symptoms. my friend has a fever and tired and weak. Im hoping he gets better soon. Unfortunately my friend had been very good about not going out unless needed and dis was his first time out really

He is the 3rd person i know personally with covid, with there being 4 total cases. One person hot it twice.

dat's terrible.  I hope your friend recovers quickly.

A friend of a friend died from Covid dis week.  I know dat mentally a lot of us are looking forward to vaccination and the light being at the end of the tunnel.  But we're still in the tunnel and dis is still a serious disease.

I heard my work from home stint will probably end in April.  It will have been 13 months dat I worked from home every day; the only two times I went into the office was due to getting a computer refresh.

Our county of 2.1 million has been doing better recently, even with Gov. Abbott lifting mask and business capacity mandates.  Some people are vaccinated; a lot of us are still masking up and social distancing.  Even with the loosening of restrictions our county had only 100 new cases today.  dat's the second lowest total dis year (we had 85 one day about a month ago).  Typically it's been 200-300.... which was still much better than the 2000-3000 daily new cases we were seeing in January.

Had covid early feb (+test and symptoms)   Also a regular blood donor cuz of rare blood type. 

Anyway.. donated 2 weeks after last symptoms, which is the guideline.   They test for covid antibodies, cuz they want your plasma which can help covid patients.   

Antibody test came back neither positive or negative... rather "reactive"... which means you have antibodies for the spike protein but not the actual virus body.   So not sure what dat's all about.

FWIW, this AM there were vaccine appointments available tomorrow around 50 minutes from me (at one of the upstate SUNYs).  They went pretty quickly -- by the time I made my appointment an hour later, first available was a week from tomorrow, and it's now up to 3 weeks from tomorrow.  Still pretty encouraging, and I think a new batch of near-term appointments gets uploaded every day.

12 minutes ago, Mike Honcho said:

im officially fully vaccinated, i celebrated with a blizzard from dq

As in you just got your second shot, or it's been two weeks since your second shot so you're immune system is fully ready to take on the virus? 

I got Moderna #2 yesterday.  Gave me relatively minor symptoms, still feeling it a bit (not so bad that I wouldn't be able to work if it wasn't the weekend, but bad enough to not want to).

Oh, and our county is now getting down to 100-200 new cases per day, versus 200-300.  Seems like steady progress.

2 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

As in you just got your second shot, or it's been two weeks since your second shot so you're immune system is fully ready to take on the virus? 

I got Moderna #2 yesterday.  Gave me relatively minor symptoms, still feeling it a bit (not so bad that I wouldn't be able to work if it wasn't the weekend, but bad enough to not want to).

Oh, and our county is now getting down to 100-200 new cases per day, versus 200-300.  Seems like steady progress.

its been 2 weeks since my second shot. i had my shot at 4pm on march 14th

• Like (+1) 1

Stoked to be able to sign up for a vaccine today. Grabbed a slot down at Corning for the Pfizer two-stage in mid-April, but then found out I could get the J&J one-stage at Wegmans, so I'm signed up to get that next Tuesday. If that goes well then I can cancel the mid-April Pfizer one, but I have no idea what to expect from a lunch-time Wegmans appointment. Maybe a sh*tshow. 😂

This whole system, with multiple websites, providers, is quite chaotic. I'm glad they let older people get the first dibs, because signing up now is going to be a young person's game.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, darksabre said:

Stoked to be able to sign up for a vaccine today. Grabbed a slot down at Corning for the Pfizer two-stage in mid-April, but then found out I could get the J&J one-stage at Wegmans, so I'm signed up to get that next Tuesday. If that goes well then I can cancel the mid-April Pfizer one, but I have no idea what to expect from a lunch-time Wegmans appointment. Maybe a sh*tshow. 😂

This whole system, with multiple websites, providers, is quite chaotic. I'm glad they let older people get the first dibs, because signing up now is going to be a young person's game.

congratulations.

my mother lives in NY and refuses to get the vaccine until she speaks to her doctor, which is in june. however, she refuses to call the doctor now. my mother is 71, and in not great health. i am 100% sure her doctor will tell her to get it.  if she waits until june, it will be available to everyone 18+ and it will be silly hard for her to get something

Edited by Mike Honcho

10 minutes ago, Mike Honcho said:

congratulations.

my mother lives in NY and refuses to get the vaccine until she speaks to her doctor, which is in june. however, she refuses to call the doctor now. my mother is 71, and in not great health. i am 100% sure her doctor will tell her to get it.  if she waits until june, it will be available to everyone 18+ and it will be silly hard for her to get something

Honestly, I suspect what you might see happen is that a lot of us younger folk will be rushing out to get it ASAP and that slots won't be as hard to get as we get closer to summer. I'm not seeing much in the line of hesitation from people in the under-40 group.

(and I say this as someone who has never had a flu shot in his life)

44 minutes ago, darksabre said:

Honestly, I suspect what you might see happen is that a lot of us younger folk will be rushing out to get it ASAP and that slots won't be as hard to get as we get closer to summer. I'm not seeing much in the line of hesitation from people in the under-40 group.

(and I say this as someone who has never had a flu shot in his life)

I hope you are right. My sister got my mother an appointment and she told her to cancel it 

Since you mentioned the flu shot, this was the first year i got one in 20 years. I was home 99.9 percent of the time and I suspect my immune system was trash. I was hoping a flu shot would give it a little kick