1 hour ago, dudacek said:

My Dad, who is 78 and still does operations consulting work for a care home is set to get his next week. Just found out yesterday.

Happiest news I've heard in a long time. You don't realize the pressure that's there until it's released. He's so happy; he hasn't seen my sister in a year and this means he can soon.

So much respect for you front-liners.

Just remember to wait 7 days after the second dose. 

23 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Just remember to wait 7 days after the second dose. 

Has there been credible guidance to that effect? That might be when maximum protection is established. But with virus circulating widely, you're still at risk even if vaccinated (as well as the great unknown of whether you can be protected from illness but still carry the virus and be contagious). The way I look at it, the purpose of vaccination is to create herd immunity eventually and allow us a return to near-normalcy. It's not a "pass" for people to take risks they wouldn't otherwise.

Also — whether the vaccine is 95% or 55% effective in the real world has yet to be established.

Personally, I'm not going to do anything different for now. I look at it as a backup level of protection in case something slips past my first line of defense.

• Like (+1) 2
2 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Has there been credible guidance to that effect? That might be when maximum protection is established. But with virus circulating widely, you're still at risk even if vaccinated (as well as the great unknown of whether you can be protected from illness but still carry the virus and be contagious). The way I look at it, the purpose of vaccination is to create herd immunity eventually and allow us a return to near-normalcy. It's not a "pass" for people to take risks they wouldn't otherwise.

Also — whether the vaccine is 95% or 55% effective in the real world has yet to be established.

Personally, I'm not going to do anything different for now. I look at it as a backup level of protection in case something slips past my first line of defense.

My dad is planning to follow whatever guidelines provided. Right now that precludes travelling to see my sister.

However, there was a long stretch they could have visited and didn't due to personal choice — mostly her concern she would put him at risk. This has put her mind at ease enough that he plans to visit her whenever the restrictions are relaxed.

My sister works at a mental hospital. They are finally able to get vaccine, but she said the administration is asking who is refusing it and why. Im not sure if that falls into the HIPAA laws.

My sister wants to wait on the vaccine but is afraid she will be fired if she doesn't get it since they are asking. She works from home and doesn't see people so it shouldn't  be required for her

Edited by miles

On the really bright side, it's been a very light flu season so far, thanks to Covid mitigation and more people getting the flu shot. Lots of news stories out there. Axios has a story titled, "The flu season that isn't."

Nice development. Getting some lives back.

I'm finally back to work.  Although, I still get tired very easily.  I got sick on December 4th and this is the first week since then that I feel like myself again.  Crazy! 

It's been a long haul, but it feels great to be back to normal (somewhat).  I think the Bills have helped.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1
57 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Very cool. How has the ER been lately? Crowded?

Mixed no where like the spring... but still getting steady covid coming in... more than summer and early fall.

52 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I'm finally back to work.  Although, I still get tired very easily.  I got sick on December 4th and this is the first week since then that I feel like myself again.  Crazy! 

It's been a long haul, but it feels great to be back to normal (somewhat).  I think the Bills have helped.

Keep drinking lots of fluids... vitamins... go easy... itll come back but there will be days where you just dont have a lot of energy.

1 hour ago, North Buffalo said:

Mixed no where like the spring... but still getting steady covid coming in... more than summer and early fall.

Keep drinking lots of fluids... vitamins... go easy... itll come back but there will be days where you just dont have a lot of energy.

Over did it on Saturday because of the Bills and then slept 14 hours that night

1 minute ago, nfreeman said:

GA -- did you lose taste/smell?  I have a friend who had Covid a couple of months ago, lost her senses of taste and smell and hasn't regained them yet.

Actually I didn't.  Sweet things were overly sweet for a while and salty things tasted very salty also for a while, but I never lost either taste or smell.  My wife, despite being only ill for a few days, did lose her sense of smell and it has came back slowly.  She said she could actually feel the virus burning in her nose.  She still can't smell coffee for some reason.  We researched the problem and for some, smell and taste won't return, which is horrible.  We tried all kinds of things to help my wife, and focused on things she could faintly smell and she practiced smelling as crazy as that may sound and it seemed to work.  

I hope your friend's senses return.  My only advice is to try to smell.  Use things with intense smells and see if there is anything and then focus on those smells and try to remember that smell.  People don't really realize how important to taste smell actually is.

• Like (+1) 2
3 hours ago, nfreeman said:

GA -- did you lose taste/smell?  I have a friend who had Covid a couple of months ago, lost her senses of taste and smell and hasn't regained them yet.

Friends of ours had COVID back in early April.  They both lost sense of taste and smell.  We visited them in August.  He was just starting to get smell back bust still couldn't taste anything.  She still had no sense of taste or smell.

They loved the kabobs I made.  🤣

5 hours ago, nfreeman said:

My brother and sister in law got it.  Both lost their sense of smell and taste.  They are about 1 month out from losing it, and it’s started to come back this week.

Also, a co-worker who had it sort of echoed what PA said about not losing taste fully but only being able to taste saltyness, as opposed to the actual flavor of things.

• Like (+1) 1
18 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Over did it on Saturday because of the Bills and then slept 14 hours that night

Keep doing it will help you recover from after effects

PS side effects after 2nd shot much less than first little headache but no chills

Near-total disdain for social distancing at a certain major event yesterday was disappointing but expected. Not a political statement, because it clearly cuts both ways — but until leaders model the proper behavior, how can the folks be expected to follow? Of course they've been vaccinated, get daily testing and will have easy access to the best meds if they get sick.

Social distancing: you stay six feet away from others whom you do not live with. No selfies, fist bumps, hugs, kisses, handshakes or huddles.

Imagine not being able to get a kiss from your kids as you die in an ICU — but the new president is afforded that bit of humanity after taking the oath. You'd be mad. I mean, if you were still alive.

(Bernie nailed it, though.)