COVID 19 Discussion

SABRES 0311

15 hours ago, Zamboni said:

US was most prepared country?

Wow. Who knew ... 

https://www.ghsindex.org

Media would have us believe the exact opposite. ?

Overall the low numbers are still shameful IMO.

I guess John Hopkins University agree with those findings too.

The system having the tools to fight a pandemic is worlds different than those tools being utilized by leadership. The index speaks to the former, not the latter. "The media" (see also: the president's own words) speak to the latter. It's not the media's fault it took the president a week to go from blabbering about the Defense Production Act to actually using it. It's not the media's fault that the president takes to Twitter to yell about GM using a plant it doesn't even own anymore. It's not the media's fault the president said "Completely contained. 15 cases soon down to zero" a month ago. The media doesn't make the president spew "some say" flowed by lines of untrue drivel that no experts agree with because it came from the bowels of QAnon. The president didn't take COVID-19 even a little seriously until the stock market started tanking, and even now his level of seriousness is highly questionable as he's waging his grievance war publicly against governors who need federal help to save lives, and that's not the media's fault either. But keep going to "the media" boogeyman. ???? I'm sure you'll just dismiss this for various reasons, but I live in a state with a governor I disagree with on 90%+ of policy issues, but Mike DeWine is doing a fantastic job with the pandemic. Why? Because he took it seriously early and has been taking action based on recommendations of public health experts. 

In happier news, this could be huge: https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2020/03/27/us/15-minute-coronavirus-test/index.html?__twitter_impression=true

Edited by TrueBlueGED
  • Like (+1) 1

On 3/27/2020 at 3:16 PM, #freejame said:

Ah yes, the ol’ constitutional power to demand businesses open when you tell them too. 

I haven’t seen anything that says 3-4% mortality rate. Once all the testing is complete I would be shocked if it were anywhere near 1.5% at most. If there was 100% testing it would be even lower, probably .5%. 

This is even broken down by age cohorts which is nice. It really all depends on which age cohort gets the most infections. If it is in the 65+ age range it will be bad. There will never be 100% testing, ever. There certainly won't in the US where some states can't get enough tests or don't want to test. But let's use your hypothesis that the overall rate will be lower. I will give you a 0% death rate for everyone under 65. 65+ is roughly 52.42million people. Let us say that half of those get sick with COVID. 26.21 million. Now they have a death rate of 3% (lower than what is reality but we are playing this out). That would be 786,000 deaths. Considering they are projecting 200k total deaths currently I would guess that the 3% mortality rate when everything is done would be high for the overall population but for older people it is exceedingly dangerous and something to think about going forward. It all depends on what happens when the system overloads. If it doesn't that rate will go down, if it does, that rate will spike. 

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/mm6912e2.htm

On 3/27/2020 at 4:09 PM, SwampD said:

I don't know her name, but the "science lady" at Trump's press conferences, I believe, said 0.7%.

I'm not sure I would believe someone at a Trump press rally if they told me good morning. However I have been reading some things that the rate might be closer to 1%. I have seen some things suggesting 1.2-1.5%

I would guess the lady at Trump's presser has a model that shows 0.7- ? and so she picked the lower number. There is still a range and confidence interval calculated to understand the worst and best case scenario. 

13 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Meanwhile Governor's around the country are calling Trump irresponsible for mentioning the treatment and banning its use in the state (Nevada and Michigan and another I believe)

Medical industry has always astounded me.  There's more doctor mistake deaths every year than COVID.  Half the stuff that's 'clinically' proven doesn't get repeated and long-term side-effects are basically completely ignored.  Studies are majorly flawed left and right (often for practical/ethical reasons) but it doesn't stop 'money-making' drugs, but will stop anything else with a sliver of hope.  Well understood compounds get cast aside for crazy new small molecules that aren't even naturally found in nature (in any relevant way).

Glad to see the 'well we know the side-effects and safe dosages, why not' approach is working.  At the very least, it gives the clinically proven placebo effect.

Edited by triumph_communes

3 minutes ago, Weave said:

And he was interviewed by Guiliani?  When did Rudy become the expert and leader of this?

Smells fishy.

Seal Team 6 is dead after conveniently killing Osama right when Obama needed a poll boost.  What's your point?  Do you want the country to fail at this?

Edited by triumph_communes

2 minutes ago, triumph_communes said:

Seal Team 6 is dead after conveniently killing Osama right when Obama needed a poll boost.  What's your point?  Do you want the country to fail at this?

Your snark is wasted on me.  I have no idea WTF point you’re trying to make with it.

What’s my point? I thought it was fairly clear.  The article stated that the results of the study were reported to Rudy Giuliani.  Given that he is a non science, non medical, attorney to the President, this report sounds more political than scientific, and gets my spider sense tingling.

Your last sentence is beautiful.  GFY 

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Weave said:

Your snark is wasted on me.  I have no idea WTF point you’re trying to make with it.

What’s my point? I thought it was fairly clear.  The article stated that the results of the study were reported to Rudy Giuliani.  Given that he is a non science, non medical, attorney to the President, this report sounds more political than scientific, and gets my spider sense tingling.

Your last sentence is beautiful.  GFY 

So you suspect it to be false information because it comes from the hip of our president?  Ignoring that the original studies were done in China, South Korea, France, etc. before American physicians reported on their own statistics?

3 minutes ago, triumph_communes said:

So you suspect it to be false information because it comes from the hip of our president?  Ignoring that the original studies were done in China, South Korea, France, etc. before American physicians reported on their own statistics?

You get one more chance before I put you on ignore.  Don’t put words in my mouth and don’t respond to things I didn’t say.  I suspect it is more political than scientific and it os because of who it was reported to.  Anything you want to read into it beyond that is in your head, not mine.

Edited by Weave
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, triumph_communes said:

yes.

12 minutes ago, triumph_communes said:

Off topic but last report on the SEAL Team 6 mission was they were killed providing QRF to an Army Ranger Unit. To my knowledge that would a mission for a lower tier SOF or conventional forces. Then again I wasn’t there.

4 hours ago, SABRES 0311 said:

The ship arrived 10 days after this aired. She said it would take weeks. She said there was no sign. Ships don’t appear out of thin air. 

I didn’t hear the “take weeks” part, just the “won’t be there next week” part, which it wasn’t.

2 hours ago, SwampD said:

I didn’t hear the “take weeks” part, just the “won’t be there next week” part, which it wasn’t.

She did say "for weeks yet."  She also said "it will not be there by next week."  The first was a prediction--it was not correct--and the second was a refined prediction, which was correct.

MSNBC is every bit as idiotic as Fox.  It's just nowhere near as popular because most progressives are smart enough not to get their opinions from cable "news" shows.  (Yes, everyone watches your financial show!)

Edited by Eleven

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

Ya I didn’t want to post about the mask issue in case it got political but JFC.  It’s unreal.  Canada and the US have been allies throughout the vast majority of our histories.  Fought along side each other in several wars and this is what Trump does first chance he gets?  I’m proud Canadian but love my American friends.  We have similar cultures and I have some good friends south of the boarder (including Sabrespace).  We need to help each other and get through this together. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/2/2020 at 5:37 PM, SABRES 0311 said:

Sweet we are doing things that didn't age well. Let's take a look at Trump's timeline about COVID

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/timeline-president-donald-trump-changing-statements-on-coronavirus/

There's an entire list of dumb ***** comments that didn't age well. 

11 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Sweet we are doing things that didn't age well. Let's take a look at Trump's timeline about COVID

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/timeline-president-donald-trump-changing-statements-on-coronavirus/

There's an entire list of dumb ***** comments that didn't age well. 

I call out Maddow and her garbage and you get mad and call out Trump.

?