COVID 19 Discussion

SABRES 0311

5 hours ago, Claude Balls said:

Fluhan, China???

I cut my own hair, been doing it for years. But I'll tell ya, it took a long ass time before I could go out without a hat. Top and sides are easy, but the back is a PITA!!

China is trying to steal U.S. COVID research. You’d think the place this thing started would already know what we know. I wonder if they thought of just asking. 

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, SABRES 0311 said:

China is trying to steal U.S. COVID research. You’d think the place this thing started would already know what we know. I wonder if they thought of just asking. 

I assume we're trying to steal their research. I'll laugh if a certain segment of the population is outraged that an adversary is trying to hack us.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, SABRES 0311 said:

3 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

I assume we're trying to steal their research. I'll laugh if a certain segment of the population is outraged that an adversary is trying to hack us.

Why we're not sharing research is the real question.

This is so stupid.

• Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Why we're not sharing research is the real question.

This is so stupid.

That’s a good question. On one hand the first to get a vaccine gets the gold. On the other hand China might be worried about what we know about the origin of the Virus and it’s path around the world. After all China is not making friends in the Pacific and their questionable handling of COVID adversely affects some key players like us, Russia and the U.K. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Not seeing it. There's a confusing headline on CNN.com about how Trump "dismissed" Fauci, but it's about how the president did not like the objective, scientific way Fauci responded to commentary from a physician member of the Senate who didn't seem to know how children are being affected by COVID-19.

Ah yeah, that's what I'm referring to. Terrible title by CNN

2 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Months into the pandemic and thousands of deaths in long-term care facilities later, the state of PA on Tuesday recommended that facilities where there are COVID-19 cases test all residents and staff. Despite ample evidence of asymptomatic spread overall and in these facilities specifically, the guidance for places with no cases was that 20% of residents and staff be tested.

Wild, you can hate on China, but there's another despicable nation in this terrible situation.

There's terrible nations in all of this, sure. Didn't say there wasn't. China is despicable long before and for much more than COVID, and their handling of this is just as deplorable. 

I should lie and say I am shocked we don't have a national testing and tracing strategy but that would mean the Trump admin is competent and as they fire IG's and continue to ignore science they don't like, we know they aren't competent. Is it November yet? Maybe then we can get a real nationwide response. 

11 hours ago, SABRES 0311 said:

Sort of political but it shows what some people are facing during COVID restrictions. Nick is a former Marine who was assigned to MARSOC. He has some cool videos on firearms, working out and traveling.

That was great. That guy is really likable.

I find all this fascinating. Maybe cuz I can see all sides.

It’s funny that he celebrates The prez giving the power to the states at the beginning of the video, and then tells the story of how he is trying to fight that power from then on. 

27 minutes ago, SwampD said:

That was great. That guy is really likable.

I find all this fascinating. Maybe cuz I can see all sides.

It’s funny that he celebrates The prez giving the power to the states at the beginning of the video, and then tells the story of how he is trying to fight that power from then on. 

He’s got a series a videos from a trip to Iceland. 

What I don’t get is the confusion on being allowed to open the gym. 

6 hours ago, Ogre said:

After all you’ve experienced, I don’t understand why wearing a mask the entire time you’re in public is such a big deal!

Regardless of the law on the ground, this is a pandemic that affects everyone. I’m dying to get everything open and back to normal too. Unfortunately that has to go on the wish list. I want same but I have no problems comprising.

About wearing masks. Your law on the ground (and those signs at business entrances) telling you to wear a mask isn’t a mandate telling you to protect yourself, they are telling you to protect everyone else. Those face coverings are not PPE. They are to prevent your respiratory discharge from spreading. Those N95 masks with the exhaust valve? You should have a covering over the discharge valve! 

I like to expand a bit on respiratory discharge. That six foot rule comes from tests done in a sterile (in terms of real life air circulation scenarios). Real life indoor air currents bring the virus much farther than that. OSHA’s TWA  (time weighted average) really should be the concept that is put into practice. At the least we should all consider it. Think of it this way, the longer the carrier is in that indoor space breathing out virus, the lower you should make the TWA. Same for the non-infected person. The longer the possible exposure the lower the TWA. 

As for sacrifice, I chose my very dangerous line of work many years ago for my own reasons. I have never asked that what I do in the course of my employment be considered a sacrifice. It ain’t. When I talk about sacrifice I talk about doing the everyday hard things we need to do as a society to get this mother ***** under control and get as many of those poor bastards that lost their lives BACK out there without sacrificing human life.

For the Love of Creation, people. WEAR THE *****IN MASK!!! It’s the least that we can do!

As far as sacrificing to do our part I think that also means not letting fear cloud our judgement. This is not NYC. It’s a different situation therefore different measures. You can’t force the entire country to live as though the threat is the same everywhere. If I had to guess this is why people around the country are getting upset with local and state governments. 

Edited by SABRES 0311

On 5/23/2020 at 4:40 PM, Doohickie said:

I was expecting one here in Texas after the first wave of reopening.  The rate of new cases has stayed about the same.  I mean, we're supposed to be starving the virus to death by staying home and stuff, but then again, people have to live, work, etc.  I tend to be liberal in my politics and it pisses me off the way science has been politicized in this pandemic, but on the other hand, it's been interesting watching various communities try to balance public health against the economy.  If nothing else we're gathering data about what works and what doesn't, albeit not under controlled conditions.

I mean CNN spoke out about Texas and the jump in cases after reopening.  But talk about politicizing the news...

This morning I read this piece - https://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2020/05/19/the_covid_spike_in_reopened_texas_cnn_gets_it_wrong_143239.html  (despite the website, it's not a political post)

I thought it was a nice breakdown of the data and how news outlets just go for the headline and not the truth. It would be nice to see them all be more impartial and simply report the information for people.  It might actually encourage people, in general, to spend more time thinking on things and less time just repeating headlines.

2 hours ago, LTS said:

I mean CNN spoke out about Texas and the jump in cases after reopening.  But talk about politicizing the news...

This morning I read this piece - https://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2020/05/19/the_covid_spike_in_reopened_texas_cnn_gets_it_wrong_143239.html  (despite the website, it's not a political post)

I thought it was a nice breakdown of the data and how news outlets just go for the headline and not the truth. It would be nice to see them all be more impartial and simply report the information for people.  It might actually encourage people, in general, to spend more time thinking on things and less time just repeating headlines.

True. CNN's as big a joooooke (Lindyism) as all the rest now. I've defended them in my head, because they were never Fox, and I wanted to remember them as the network that did such brilliant reporting around the world in the early days. But it finally hit me one day when they tried to pass off a chart of cumulative cases, instead of day to day change, as evidence of a spike in cases. That chart always goes up, until there's no more Covid. Also — "the death toll continues to rise." No *****.

• Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

True. CNN's as big a joooooke (Lindyism) as all the rest now. I've defended them in my head, because they were never Fox, and I wanted to remember them as the network that did such brilliant reporting around the world in the early days. But it finally hit me one day when they tried to pass off a chart of cumulative cases, instead of day to day change, as evidence of a spike in cases. That chart always goes up, until there's no more Covid. Also — "the death toll continues to rise." No *****.

I feel like CNN dropped all semblance of impartiality in 2015/2016 when Trump became a serious candidate.  And I think it's only because it got them ratings.  Because that's all these big news channels actually care about.

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, JujuFish said:

I feel like CNN dropped all semblance of impartiality in 2015/2016 when Trump became a serious candidate.  And I think it's only because it got them ratings.  Because that's all these big news channels actually care about.

I agree on the timing.  I don't agree on the why.  I think they went the direction they are now on because they recognized then the seriousness of what was to come.

Wow, so a post that discusses the analytics behind the numbers that are being used to discuss the opening of states was moved to politics?

Okay.. so I guess the thread in the main forum will be specifically ONLY for COVID discussions and not any policies or other risks associated with it?  Like, say, choosing to wear masks or hanging out indoors.

Sad... I tried so hard to make it NOT a poltiical post.

On 5/25/2020 at 8:39 AM, LTS said:

how news outlets just go for the headline and not the truth.

Someone shared an article about the anticipated spike in Texas due to re-opening based on cell phone tracking.  But was only a model and not an actual report of new cases.  On the contrary, my county has had its best week in over a month.  There is a chance that it's just data lag due to the holiday weekend, but daily number of new cases is about half what it was, even with re-opening. 

One theory I have come up with (consistent with my observations) is that the vocal anti-mask minority is actually motivating people to be extra-careful about mask wearing.

Edited by Doohickie

• 1 month later...
20 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Record number of cases yesterday (or maybe a tie), and the seven day average of deaths keeps going up. Cases starting going up as a seven day average about June 11 and the death figure followed on about July 4. That was to be expected. Unless the curve is flattened again, and we know how we did it once, the deaths will continue to mount.

And the Gov of Georgia wont allow the counties and cities to require masks and won’t make that requirement from the Governor’s office.

1 hour ago, Weave said:

And the Gov of Georgia wont allow the counties and cities to require masks and won’t make that requirement from the Governor’s office.

How stupid is this?  It's stupid enough to not have it as a statewide requirement; it's a special level of stupid to prevent municipalities and counties from having their own requirements.