COVID 19 Discussion

SABRES 0311

23 hours ago, freester said:

Well after Cuomo killed off most of the medically fragile in the nursing homes and refused to accept responsibility, the death rate has fallen. I guess that is one way to have a decreasing death rate.  

And after the South opened before they should have and did nothing to stop the spread we saw exponential growth resulting in the high rates of covid we see currently which will in turn lead to higher death rates because that's how math works. It is really sad that the Federal response is basically non existent unless it has something to do with benefiting trump or his sycophants.  

As for Cuomo, he did screw up but if I am looking at screwups I am starting with Trump because that is the screwup costing the most lives. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, SABRES 0311 said:

1E7B7D56-5E6D-4D1E-88FA-1B215904EFD3.jpeg

6332CE89-4175-4272-9011-0A524DEF67C0.jpeg

35 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

When Obama was elected didn't that mook go on Fox and say we were headed for 1000 years of darkness? Pretty sure it was something like that. So umm, ya.

Chuck does not approve of your seriousness. 

• 2 weeks later...

I really am curious about what people who voted for Trump think of this information. It’s one thing to play politics in regards to certain policies, whatever. But it’s a whole other ball of wax to actually sacrifice human lives for political gains.

These people are poison, and other people will still vote for them.

Sleep well.

6 hours ago, SwampD said:

I really am curious about what people who voted for Trump think of this information. It’s one thing to play politics in regards to certain policies, whatever. But it’s a whole other ball of wax to actually sacrifice human lives for political gains.

These people are poison, and other people will still vote for them.

Sleep well.

I have several close family members that voted for him.  Disappointment in Trump is an understatement.  They genuinely thought they would be getting someone different than what they got.  In their cases, there won't be a second vote for him.  I'm sure for every base supporter there are at least as many that regret their vote.

• Like (+1) 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/20/2020 at 11:11 AM, LGR4GM said:

And after the South opened before they should have and did nothing to stop the spread we saw exponential growth resulting in the high rates of covid we see currently which will in turn lead to higher death rates because that's how math works. It is really sad that the Federal response is basically non existent unless it has something to do with benefiting trump or his sycophants.  

As for Cuomo, he did screw up but if I am looking at screwups I am starting with Trump because that is the screwup costing the most lives. 

Problem for Cuomo is NY at the time was running out of Hospital Space... there was not enough testing to see who still was infected and it was before Trump's Hospital ships arrived late because he delayed them.  In hind sight yep not a good decision in a vacuum.  During the moment it was a choice among bad choices.  PS I was there a saw the body bags.

• 1 month later...
10 hours ago, miles said:

I'm going to be honest.  I'm not sure why people thought that after 6 months it would magically get better when there still isnt a  vaccine. 

Certain... "leaders" with influence keep lying and saying that it will. 

Just now, LGR4GM said:

Certain... "leaders" with influence keep lying and saying that it will. 

I was alluding more to local leaders, specifically hospital ones, ya know, the ones with MBAs and no medical experience.... I don't get into national politics at all. 

Either way a good chunk of the positive cases are fairly asymptomatic, or with minimal symptoms. A good chunk of the bad cases I see are relating to those who have a lot of issues. 

Again, mostly self induced. 

What was it you said to me Nfreeman? People need a cooling off period and it wouldn't be as bad as they were making it out to be. I think that is almost verbatim what you told me in January of 2017. Go ahead and move it. I don't care anymore because we have reached the end of a long and winding path. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

What was it you said to me Nfreeman? People need a cooling off period and it wouldn't be as bad as they were making it out to be. I think that is almost verbatim what you told me in January of 2017. Go ahead and move it. I don't care anymore because we have reached the end of a long and winding path. 

Yeah, but that's like, only the New England Journal of Medicine, man.  It's not nearly as reliable as a politically-motivated Internet petition.

Edited by Eleven

8 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

I admire the optimism to think that we are reaching the end of this blight on american history. However I feel like we are only coming to the close of the first act of our tragedy

On 10/8/2020 at 3:45 AM, drnkirishone said:

I admire the optimism to think that we are reaching the end of this blight on american history. However I feel like we are only coming to the close of the first act of our tragedy

You misunderstand me. I am not saying this is the end of the blight, I am saying this is the end for good or bad of the road we started down when Trump was elected President. 

• 2 weeks later...

Our 24 year-old office assistant had COVID this summer.  No preexisting conditions etc.  Not obese.  Just a normal young woman.  She recovered and returned to work.  Today, months later, she was rushed to the hospital coughing up blood.  Docs say she has some kind of serious kidney infection stemming back to the COVID occurrence.  This disease is scary.  It is no flu.  There are many many weird outcomes like long-term neurological conditions etc.  I get that we’re not allowed to talk about the official government response in this forum by my goodness this situation is outrageous.  Lockdown or not, the amount of intentional disinformation out there is insane - and it’s coming from the highest office.  This is a goddamn coverup.

Edited by Cascade Youth

11 hours ago, Cascade Youth said:

Our 24 year-old office assistant had COVID this summer.  No preexisting conditions etc.  Not obese.  Just a normal young woman.  She recovered and returned to work.  Today, months later, she was rushed to the hospital coughing up blood.  Docs say she has some kind of serious kidney infection stemming back to the COVID occurrence.  This disease is scary.  It is no flu.  There are many many weird outcomes like long-term neurological conditions etc.  I get that we’re not allowed to talk about the official government response in this forum by my goodness this situation is outrageous.  Lockdown or not, the amount of intentional disinformation out there is insane - and it’s coming from the highest office.  This is a goddamn coverup.

Actually you can talk about the official gov response here. This is a subforum that fully allows it. 

Trump didn't do anything because he doesn't care. He only cares about himself and making his ego bigger. Trump is a textbook narcissist, it is why he feels compelled to lie about every little thing. He is an insecure idiot who isn't smart intellectually or emotionally. 

On 10/21/2020 at 10:51 PM, Cascade Youth said:

I'm sincerely not trying to be disrespectful here. The situation sucks. But the government's response had nothing to do with the situation your office assistant faced. The odds are good that she would eventually be exposed and the odds are good that the virus would impact her in this way. That is part of life.  She was treated, she had medical care, and this still occurred.  Why does anyone think it would not have occurred with any different government response?

People are hanging their hats on vaccines... something that has NEVER existed for a coronavirus and still does NOT exist for even the flu.  But somehow, this time, there will be a vaccine.

Which, I might add, if you look up the anecdotal stories on people's adverse reactions to flu shots, you can find stories similar to your co-workers. This is why anti-vaxxers exist, they glom onto those anecdotal events as some widespread conspiracy theory. There are billions of people on this planet and we are all different. Some of us are predisposed to being at risk to certain diseases, infections, etc. Some of us will naturally have high blood pressure. Some of us will naturally have terrible lungs. All of it bad for the person, but that's nature, and whether we choose to believe it or not, we are just highly evolved animals.

None of that diminishes the situation for her and how much it sucks, but I read articles every day on the potential side effects of the virus. I'm not sure what's being covered up. The President is an idiot and he's proven his ignorance on pretty much every topic thrown at him. A cover up?  Only the ignorant would believe that blowhole at this point and there's no fixing stupid.

13 hours ago, bg17 said:

They can’t all be Washington Posts or CNNs. 

https://swprs.org/the-suppressed-danish-mask-study/

I think "suppressed" is a bad word here. Knowing about the peer review journal process, there's something wonky that the journals are concerned about. I'd note this which I think is important,

"Henning Bundgaard also explains that the study only illuminates the extent to which masks protect mask carriers from infection. In other words, it does not illuminate the opposite side of infections – whether people who walk without a mask near an infected mask carrier are at reduced risk of becoming infected with coronavirus." 

my understanding from research is that masks reduce spread but don't stop it. We also know the viral load delivered is important to the outcome so if both ppl have masks, since there is a reduction of airborne contamination, I think it helps. Might only be 20% but hey that's something. 

Interesting read though and I hope the paper gets published. 

Note Lancet, JAMA, and NEJ Medicine, are all top journals and reject papers routinely. 

• 3 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Oh wow. That's different than here in Canada. Looks like in the U.S. rural areas they ignored lockdowns or were slow to implement them, don't wear masks, etc. and so per capita it's a bigger problem. Science and news rejection. We have some of that here and Manitoba now has the highest per capita rate but overall here rural areas like the north have lower rates. 

The politicization of medicine and best practices in handling this pandemic is a historical failure to a historical challenge. This current administration has promoted an anti-science attitude toward public health issues that not only has damaged this country's ability to contend with this nemesis but will also have a lingering destructive effect of hindering the country's ability to contain it when the next administration takes control. It's indisputable that compared to the US Canada has done a terrific job handling this plague. What is on display here is the difference between ignorant and intelligent leadership. 

• Like (+1) 1