COVID 19 Discussion

SABRES 0311

• 2 months later...
9 minutes ago, Kong said:

Not to worry, the big guy has it all under control.

Much more under control than a year ago.  At least this not-quite-as-big guy acknowledges the threat.

Edited by Eleven

• 3 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, JujuFish said:

Haven't watched the video, but I bet most people who don't want to get the vaccine are unlikely to listen to a hard left comedian like Oliver.

There's a lot of good facts in here but at least you acknowledge the fundamental truth of who isn't getting vaccinated. 

8 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

There's a lot of good facts in here but at least you acknowledge the fundamental truth of who isn't getting vaccinated. 

The point is the type of person that needs to see the message is the exact type of person who wouldn't listen to Oliver in the first place, so it's literally preaching to the choir.

Just now, JujuFish said:

As someone who is center-left, I will absolutely say that yes, Oliver is definitely left.

he is a liberal entertainer. he has his moments, like advocating for single payer, but he likes to take time to advocate for regime change in the global south as well

left for usa mainstream media? sure!

left? not quite

3 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Getting the vaccine isn’t a political issue, or at least shouldn’t be 

but it is. which is why it clearly has no place on this board.

Just now, qwksndmonster said:

he is a liberal entertainer. he has his moments, like advocating for single payer, but he likes to take time to advocate for regime change in the global south as well

left for usa mainstream media? sure!

left? not quite

Defending riots?  Yes, that's hard left.

3 minutes ago, Eleven said:

The vaccine is only a political issue to a very small minority who want to make it one.  The rest of the world, liberal, conservative, whatever, seems to be on board with it.

??? anti vax people have had their trust in public institutions eroded by the government deliberately letting everything go to *****. how is this not a political issue?

13 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Interesting, President  Donald J Trump, First Lady Melania Trump, Senators Mitch McConnell, Ted Cruz and Marco Rubio didn’t feel it’s political and received Their Covid Vaccines

yeah they want to save their own skins and???? all while pushing covid disinformation. not seeing the point

1 hour ago, qwksndmonster said:

??? anti vax people have had their trust in public institutions eroded by the government deliberately letting everything go to *****. how is this not a political issue?

To a man who has only a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

This is not political--just like smoking on planes isn't.  Hard-right, hard-left, poor, rich, whatever, the entire world is dealing with this.  People trying to politicize it are doing it for viewers.

There's a term called a "hundred year flood."  This is a "hundred year pandemic."  Almost right on the nose, actually.

You took a long break from this board and said you came back because of the loneliness of our times.  Maybe check out some of the hockey threads.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, 5th line wingnutt said:

Two weeks ago the "lab leak" theory was a krazy konspiracy theory for the tin foil hat brigade.  Now it is mainstream.  Fauci knew this in late January 2020 and deliberately mislead us.  Score one for the skeptics.

Was it was was an unsubstantiated jab at that point intended to deflect focus from a government who handled the situation ineptly, not a conspiracy theory.  The claim needed, and still needs, solid evidence  before it could become anything more.

29 minutes ago, 5th line wingnutt said:

Two weeks ago the "lab leak" theory was a krazy konspiracy theory for the tin foil hat brigade.  Now it is mainstream.  Fauci knew this in late January 2020 and deliberately mislead us.  Score one for the skeptics.

Its not a far stretch...virus happens to start in a town with a biological testing lab. The fact that it was so quickly discredited and people called crazy screamed coverup. There is some serious propaganda campaigns going on, on both sides. Unfortunately the people will be the ones who are suffering 

Edited by Mike Honcho

5 hours ago, Mike Honcho said:

Its not a far stretch...virus happens to start in a town with a biological testing lab. The fact that it was so quickly discredited and people called crazy screamed coverup. There is some serious propaganda campaigns going on, on both sides. Unfortunately the people will be the ones who are suffering 

Yep.

I am still in contact with my family friend in Japan. There is so much more to this. He's retired military command structure who now over sees all of 7th fleets supply chains, including personnel, as a civ for worker. Thw meetings early last year paint a whole nother picture as to what the global public was being told. I sat quietly after I posted 1 video he sent me, and in those early conversations, his statements on man made weren't opinion.

But, the anti-conservatives, anti-trumpers, call them what you will, bought this natural progression nonsense, hook line and sinker. The blinders were just thrown on like an automated response. Sad really, because your correct, it's the people that suffer.

5 hours ago, 5th line wingnutt said:

I never got the sense that MSM treated it as an outrageous theory - just one that wasn't substantiated by the science and facts.

That said, there may be people within the federal government (maybe Fauci among them? I have no idea) who have some serious 'splaining to do.

Edited by That Aud Smell

And even if there's something to it, what does it change.  It just confirms that "China gonna China" with their secrecy and redirection.

In the meantime, it does seem that even mediocre vax rates are enough to arrest the continued spread of the virus.

In my county (Tarrant, Texas) I've watched the deaths drop to fewer than one per day from dozens, and new daily cases drop from 4000 per day fewer than 100, and still decaying. 

The disease is terrible and was far too widespread, but it really feels like the vaccines are making a difference.