Sign in to follow this  
WildCard

The Krueger Effect

13 minutes ago, Thorny said:

This is exactly what I was talking about weeks ago when I was saying Botterill's cap management has only been "adequate" thus far. He's supposed to be a cap whiz. He should find a way to either find a spot for Bogo should that situation arise, or clear, what, the ~2 mil in space necessary to allow for a 7 mil (Risto gone) buffer. 7 mil is enough to bring in a bonafide talent. 

If we are sitting here with not only a dearth of top 6 talent, a roster so in need of an upgrade yet STILL somehow up against the cap such that no move can be made, what are we even doing here? We are lacking talent yet somehow still a cap team. Come on. 

This is also why I never bought the, oh well, it was only a 3rd we gave up for Vesey. How much does he make? We need that cap space now. 

Botterill not augmenting the top 6 substantially in the offseason, yet also still re-signing EVERYONE from last year's bad team (save poor Pominville) so as to not even allow an upgrade to be made, is just unacceptable. I'm not saying this is necessarily when happened, this is why I am choosing to believe he thinks he has fluidity with how he manages this cap wise. 

I can't argue against any of this. He's handcuffed himself. 

3 minutes ago, darksabre said:

I can't argue against any of this. He's handcuffed himself. 

I'm really hoping he doesn't think this himself, or that he fancies himself Houdini, at the very least. Surely he can fandangle a little room on top of whatever we move out in a deal. Right?

4 hours ago, darksabre said:

Someone who fits in on a checking line doesn't have to not be a goal scorer... 

I think some people are dreaming big about what is possible right now. I think a 15-20 goal guy is the best they could do given their cap situation. If they can add two of that type of player it would make a huge difference. But I don't think we're getting a 30 goal guy from anyone. 

One interesting point about the cap is the way the current CBA is written, once a guy is on LTIR the team needs the cap space available to bring him off LTIR.. (I'd thought they HAD to make room when he was ready to be on the roster, but that seems to be incorrect.)

So, they might have more room than we expect they have.  And, honestly, I still expect Ristolainen has value league wide.  (Which frees up enough space to make a legit move this year.).

My concern is still that Botterill might consider that he's playing with house money this year and things don't get real to him until next season.  (Hope that's wrong, and it very well could be; but until a move is made, it isn't.)

If I understand the CBA correctly we have roughly 940k already banked for Bogo being on LTIR. Is that correct to the lawyers out there? We get cap savings on each game he is out on LTIR? 

6 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

If I understand the CBA correctly we have roughly 940k already banked for Bogo being on LTIR. Is that correct to the lawyers out there? We get cap savings on each game he is out on LTIR? 

You get no cap savings at all if you're exceeding the cap before LTIR, like we currently are, even if you aren't using all the LTIR.  We will have 0 saved up at the deadline unless some big trade happens moving lots of money out.

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/sabres

The projected LTIR must be negative for us to be gaining anything.  We're 2 million over.  Hunwick is never coming back, so that's ok.  But the current 'cap space' is only 4.8 million, so they'll need to fine another 300k to reinstate Bogosian (covered by us sending someone down and then we will have 700k cap space remaining).

Botterill is going to want to end the season under though, because there's 4 million in rookie bonuses on the line.  Though, we can carry any rookie bonus overages forward to next year where we will be out of cap hell, and probably what he intends to do.

Edited by triumph_communes