Non Sabres Deadline Trades/Rumors

Brawndo

3 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Ah, I didn't realize you were sticking to the rigid definition of prospect there, I agree with you in that sense. I thought you were comparing their relevant seasons and declaring Cozens better than Casey was. 

The original point I wanted to make was that people were adding perhaps our best young forward (say, age 22 or under) to trades to try and come up with bigger returns that can help us more. 

No I was thinking of them in prospects terms and less so comparing them last year. I think Cozens has the higher ceiling though. 

I wouldn't add Mitts to any trades, I am with you there. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

The original point I wanted to make was that people were adding perhaps our best young forward (say, age 22 or under) to trades to try and come up with bigger returns that can help us more. 

If he's "our best young forward" then get him out of here.  We need far better.

31 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Our best Prospect is Cozens. 

If I am adding Mitts and Risto to a deal than I want Connor and something. I am not dealing with the 1way whiny Laine for Risto +.  Also Laine wants to be paid like a first liner and is bitching because he isn't being played on the first line. 

I agree on Cozens being the best prospect.

Winnipeg isn't trading Connor for any Sabres package that doesn't include Dahlin. 

Laine for Risto+ is probably the best return the Sabres could get for Risto. 

Many here, including me, are probably overreacting to a lousy rookie year and last night's game, but I wouldn't be crushed if JB cut bait on Mitts and included him in a Risto deal if the return included, say, Laine and Ehlers.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Winnipeg isn't trading Connor for any Sabres package that doesn't include Dahlin. 

Many here, including me, are probably overreacting to a lousy rookie year and last night's game, but I wouldn't be crushed if JB cut bait on Mitts and included him in a Risto deal if the return included, say, Laine and Ehlers.

You want to pay Laine 9mil a year? Not sure you could talk me into that deal. Laine straight up for Risto I might do but again, Laine is a 1 dimensional player. 

• Like (+1) 1

Cozens looked better than Casey in his first game.

I’m curious how much weight will be/ is being given to exhibition games in the evaluation process.

Did the bubble guys really all start on equal footing?

Veterans like Casey, Kyle and Vlad did not show well. Tage and Dylan did.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, dudacek said:

I’m curious how much weight will be/ is being given to exhibition games in the evaluation process.

I will be interested to see Cozens against tougher competition.

3 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Stared at this post for 10 seconds racking my brain trying to figure out who Dylan is 

I have to admit I don't understand the impatience with Casey Mitts. Guys are trading him with Risto for what I consider pennies on the dollar. If we're trading both those guys in a package we better be getting a young star in return. He may not be the 2C now some may want but dang, he's 20 years old. Rakell as an example didn't outscore him (yes I know points isn't everything) until his 3rd full year in which he had 31 points, which is 6 more than the incompetent CM scored last year. I just don't get it, it's like some of you guys think you just snap your fingers and the roster gets upgraded from crap to SC territory

• Like (+1) 3

7 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

It's like the inverse Belichick: instead of trading a vet the year before the league figures out he's falling off, trade a young player/prospect a year before the rest of the league figures out he's not living up to the draft hype.

1 minute ago, jsb said:

I have to admit I don't understand the impatience with Casey Mitts. Guys are trading him with Risto for what I consider pennies on the dollar. If we're trading both those guys in a package we better be getting a young star in return. He may not be the 2C now some may want but dang, he's 20 years old. Rakell as an example didn't outscore him (yes I know points isn't everything) until his 3rd full year in which he had 31 points, which is 6 more than the incompetent CM scored last year. I just don't get it, it's like some of you guys think you just snap your fingers and the roster gets upgraded from crap to SC territory

You answered your own question. The GM has placed Mittelstadt in a position where he needs to be 2C and he isn't capable of anything close to it. That's a natural scenario for fan backlash. I'm not mad at Casey for not being good enough (at least not yet), I'm mad at Botterill.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

1 minute ago, jsb said:

But the bold is exactly what drives people to put Casey in the trade proposals. The only time a bad return is mentioned with respect to a proposal like this, it's someone saying that they THINK that's all they'd get, not that they actively want to do that.

The second bold is a dishonest reading of pretty much all the discussion in here about fixing our biggest hole, and fits in line with a lot of rather obnoxious posts in the GDT and elsewhere that straw-man the hell out of people having genuine, serious, measured discussions about a bad hockey team.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

It's like the inverse Belichick: instead of trading a vet the year before the league figures out he's falling off, trade a young player/prospect a year before the rest of the league figures out he's not living up to the draft hype.

Ed Zachary

4 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

You answered your own question. The GM has placed Mittelstadt in a position where he needs to be 2C and he isn't capable of anything close to it. That's a natural scenario for fan backlash. I'm not mad at Casey for not being good enough (at least not yet), I'm mad at Botterill.

I am more here. I hope Botterill did enough to insulate Casey but I don't think he did. 

7 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

...which is kinda what JB did this year with Nylander, although not quite early enough to be a major surprise.  Trading Mitts, his own guy, a year earlier than Nylander was traded (relative to draft year) would be a major surprise and, yes, Belichikean.

3 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Product of Schiefele?

I think of him likely to have Skinner-esque career.

Yeah having a nice shot, good skating, and playing with Mark, and an assist fiend like Wheeler, is just an easy way to get lofted up to crazy heights I don't think he'd hit elsewhere. He's still good but I think he's much closer to the RFAs like Konecny than Rantanen/Marner

2 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

What are people assuming it will be? I've seen a lot of pragmatic discussion of things like Roslovic and a mediocre vet. I've seen a lot of discussion about adding Mitts, perhaps our best prospect, to the trade to get something more worthwhile. 

Do you think it's going to be like a second rounder or something?

Roslovic and a 2nd rounder or prospect I’d guess. 

4 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Maybe, maybe not. There are plenty of pro athletes out there who've grossed as much or more than that over a career, and are totally insolvent. If Buff was good with his money, he'll be fine.

Jack Johnson is a perfect example.   Wasn't he broke because of his parents few years ago ?

2 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Jack Johnson is a perfect example.   Wasn't he broke because of his parents few years ago ?

Not sure. There were news reports this summer about how Adrian Peterson - despite having grossed $100M in his career - is essentially insolvent.

2 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

it all started with Johnson handing over power of attorney to his mother, Tina Johnson. Thereafter, Tina and her husband Jack Sr. tried to monetize Johnson’s $30.5 million contract by borrowing money secured against their son’s future earnings.

According to court documents, Tina Johnson borrowed at least $15 million across about 18 high-interest loans that resulted in multiple defaults. Some of these loans had interest rates as high as 24%. Using their son’s money, the parents also bought a beach house in Manhattan Beach, California. They also "allegedly each bought a car, spent more than $800,000 on upgrades to the Manhattan Beach property and traveled, often to see him play NHL games for the Kings and Blue Jackets.”

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ericmacramalla/2014/11/25/jack-johnson-bankruptcy-need-to-manage-parents/#8fbaa1159589

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.