Official Ralph Krueger named Sabres Head Coach

Brawndo

32 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Yes, I know that putting Skinner on the 4th line is stupid and that the Eakin-Okposo line is bad and should be split up or benched so we do know better. Long gone are the days of blindly trusting coaches when we have a wealth of data that says the decisions don't make sense. Olofsson isn't great 5v5, yet continues to get chances with Eichel. 

This absolutely could have been avoided. This is weird coming from someone who has been constantly concerned with the Pegulas meddling. To suddenly pull out the "not what you wanted that's why it's bad" card is suspect at best considering the results have been the literal worst. 

Owners shouldn't meddle is a common sense stance. I don't need to be a sports owner to know that. But you're literally saying you know better than a professional sports coach. Digging through data can't qualify you that much. Let's just let a robot coach the team, Mike!

The bigger point is: fine, you get your lines. The team still sucks.

They've tried about a million combinations, and nothing works.

28 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Owners shouldn't meddle is a common sense stance. I don't need to be a sports owner to know that. But you're literally saying you know better than a professional sports coach. Digging through data can't qualify you that much. Let's just let a robot coach the team, Mike!

Team sucks because they play a boring low event style that is garbage. 

If a pro coach can't look at a ***** chart and figure out some lines and player combos don't work while I can, that isn't an indictment of my abilities but theirs. 

29 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

I wish I could thumbs down this post because it wreaks of a comment Kim once said. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/14/2019 at 7:26 PM, dudacek said:

Oiler fans saying good things about him.

Including “he knows how to use players in their right situations and right roles.”

never heard a fan say that before.

Always a good idea to lean into what the fans are saying. 😂

7 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

How many coaches/GMs now who've been too dumb to do it the right way, the SabreSpace Way? What are the odds?

Has any organization in the NHL ever had a stretch of ineptitude and embarrassment the Sabres have had over these seasons? That's the most frustrating part of all of this, it just can't be this hard

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

How many coaches/GMs now who've been too dumb to do it the right way, the SabreSpace Way? What are the odds?

Forget "GM". 

There's only been one true general manager the last decade - and the thing is, I know you already know this.

And that's why the answer is 1 and that's why it's plausible our way is better. 

The problem here is not really that the lines or style of play is not what SS wants.  It’s that the results have been absolutely terrible.

There is never going to be a full set of lines and D pairs that the majority of fans agree with, but when the team is worst in the league, it’s pretty easy to think that some fans could have managed to do better.  We couldn’t do much worse.

14 minutes ago, darksabre said:

I'm really glad that my only real take in this whole thread is that y'all's nicknames for him were/are terrible

Likewise. My takes were simply references and that I, too, had once fired someone (Admiral Ozzel) via viewscreen, much as HCPH was fired by Skype. I didn't really know anything about Chancellor RaKru (come on, it's a great nickname, now). But I've since learned that I don't have any faith or trust in him as a hockey coach or master motivator.

<Sabres season rolls along for a few meters... explodes>

Jack Eichwalker: Uncle TPeg! Aunt Kim! This RaKrunit has a bad motivator. Look!

TPeg <to NHL "hockey people">: Hey! What are you trying to push on us?

Jawa/NHL: You just said, "Yeah, I'll take that one" without even stopping to look at it! What the hell do you want from us? We found it in the middle of the desert. It was rolling fine all these last few years. How were we going to know it's head was going to explode?

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Team sucks because they play a boring low event style that is garbage. 

If a pro coach can't look at a ***** chart and figure out some lines and player combos don't work while I can, that isn't an indictment of my abilities but theirs. 

I wish I could thumbs down this post because it wreaks of a comment Kim once said. 

If each of you had to guess, how many points do you think would be left on the table by not "optimizing" line combinations, over the course of this 56 game season? With these changes being relative to what Ralph has created, assuming that he'd continue to make similar decisions the rest of the year. PA is free to assume that maybe Ralph's line combos actually made this team better than its baseline if he is inclined, in which case you can give a negative point value. 

My guess is that PA would say somewhere between -2 and +2 points could have been gained with "better" or "optimized" forward lines and defensive pairs (-2 meaning that Ralph DID do better than an average coach would, that a proposed "optimal" group would actually be worse, +2 meaning that we would only gain 2 points at best on the whole season if we listened to the Sabrespace/twitter experts), indicating that he doesn't think it makes much of a difference either way, and Liger would say we would gain 10 points or more with better lines. But that's just my guess, I'm curious to hear what you both think.

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

Actually, the odds are pretty good. 

The turnover rate each season for NHL coaches is insane. Typically it's between 20 and 25%.

When a team hires a coach, the odds are higher that the coach is going to fail than succeed.

And while hiring a good coach is a difficult task, the Pegulas have worsen the odds by choosing painfully inexperienced coaches on multiple occasions.

So, yeah, SabreSpace is probably on-point calling out these coaches.

37 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

Likewise. My takes were simply references and that I, too, had once fired someone (Admiral Ozzel) via viewscreen, much as HCPH was fired by Skype. I didn't really know anything about Chancellor RaKru (come on, it's a great nickname, now). But I've since learned that I don't have any faith or trust in him as a hockey coach or master motivator.

<Sabres season rolls along for a few meters... explodes>

Jack Eichwalker: Uncle TPeg! Aunt Kim! This RaKrunit has a bad motivator. Look!

TPeg <to NHL "hockey people">: Hey! What are you trying to push on us?

Jawa/NHL: You just said, "Yeah, I'll take that one" without even stopping to look at it! What the hell do you want from us? We found it in the middle of the desert. It was rolling fine all these last few years. How were we going to know it's head was going to explode?

Jack Eichwalker to Anakin Krueger.

You were the chosen one! 
You were supposed to bring balance to the team, not plunge in further into darkness!

I loved you like a Father! 

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

19 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

If each of you had to guess, how many points do you think would be left on the table by not "optimizing" line combinations, over the course of this 56 game season? With these changes being relative to what Ralph has created, assuming that he'd continue to make similar decisions the rest of the year. PA is free to assume that maybe Ralph's line combos actually made this team better than its baseline if he is inclined, in which case you can give a negative point value. 

My guess is that PA would say somewhere between -2 and +2 points could have been gained with "better" or "optimized" forward lines and defensive pairs (-2 meaning that Ralph DID do better than an average coach would, that a proposed "optimal" group would actually be worse, +2 meaning that we would only gain 2 points at best on the whole season if we listened to the Sabrespace/twitter experts), indicating that he doesn't think it makes much of a difference either way, and Liger would say we would gain 10 points or more with better lines. But that's just my guess, I'm curious to hear what you both think.

Lines or only 1 part. How you deploy those lines is part 2. 

It is no coincidence we lose so much on the road. 

On 5/14/2019 at 10:06 PM, Brawndo said:

This one here, not Brawndo specifically posting it, but LeBrun's "7 candidates, thorough process" take.

So, just how thorough was that process Pierre? Inquiring Minds in Sabres Land want to know.

On 5/14/2019 at 10:12 PM, That Aud Smell said:

Well. Good, I guess?

I’m sorta fascinated by the prospect of having some mysterious renaissance dude behind the bench.

Has your thirst for fascination been quenched yet? 😄

On 5/14/2019 at 10:26 PM, dudacek said:

Oiler fans saying good things about him.

Including “he knows how to use players in their right situations and right roles.”

never heard a fan say that before.

I think this has been completely debunked.

On 5/14/2019 at 10:39 PM, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

Maybe I should change my uname from the Bongcloud?  I can't tell if this is genius or mere insanity.

Good question, and it has been answered.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.