GDT: Sabres @ Flyers 26 February 2018, 7PM on NBCS

#freejame

7 minutes ago, SDS said:

I googled “are hits correlated with winning nhl”. Nothing I just read supported this claim. In fact, hitting has a negative correlation with winning according to these nerds. 

OTOH 5 of the 6 top hitters in the NHL are on playoff teams. In fact the top two are on Vegas. Not a bad thing to have some physical play to go along with speed.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, SDS said:

I googled “are hits correlated with winning nhl”. Nothing I just read supported this claim. In fact, hitting has a negative correlation with winning according to these nerds. 

Hitting or being physical are two different things.  Hitting and being physical creates space especially on the forecheck, it rushes D zone players and creates mistakes.  The hitting in enough of itself I agree probably doesn't equate to winning... but offensive zone hitting I am betting does especially as it relates to turnovers and goals.

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

Hitting or being physical are two different things.  Hitting and being physical creates space especially on the forecheck, it rushes D zone players and creates mistakes.  The hitting in enough of itself I agree probably doesn't equate to winning... but offensive zone hitting I am betting does especially as it relates to turnovers and goals.

The problem with the NHL is what they consider a hit. You can be physical just by shoving someone off the puck and into the boards and they'll give that player a hit, when technically it's not really a hit. 

Sabres are toast this year.  Their confidence is gone.  It will be a small miracle for them to make a playoff push.

Ok, large miracle.

Regardless, this team is playing for the future.  Just call up Pilut and Olafsson and let them gain experience and see what we have.  

JBots isn't going anywhere, and neither is Phil.  If the same effort returns next year, Phil may be a goner.  But that's a big if.

Bots will be dialed in on 2nd line scoring over the summer.  I see us getting a big name.  Not your 29-30 year old GMTM player who can't hold his water after one season (see Moulson, Okposo).  I'm talking 26 year old with his best years in front of him.

Why are we talking about hitting?

Maybe Phil’s system simply requires elite goaltending - which the Sabres do not have.  The defensemen focus on providing offensive support which leads to many breakdowns and chances on the other end.  When our goalies stand on their heads, we can win.  When they’re just average, as Hutts was tonight, we lose.  Simple as that?

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Cascade Youth said:

Why are we talking about hitting?

Maybe Phil’s system simply requires elite goaltending - which the Sabres do not have.  The defensemen focus on providing offensive support which leads to many breakdowns and chances on the other end.  When our goalies stand on their heads, we can win.  When they’re just average, as Hutts was tonight, we lose.  Simple as that?

We recently gave away the “bad” goalkeeper, who is now the best in the league. And even the second goalkeepers against us play as the main ...

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, dejeanerret said:

Sabres are toast this year.  Their confidence is gone.  It will be a small miracle for them to make a playoff push.

Ok, large miracle.

Regardless, this team is playing for the future.  Just call up Pilut and Olafsson and let them gain experience and see what we have.  

JBots isn't going anywhere, and neither is Phil.  If the same effort returns next year, Phil may be a goner.  But that's a big if.

Bots will be dialed in on 2nd line scoring over the summer.  I see us getting a big name.  Not your 29-30 year old GMTM player who can't hold his water after one season (see Moulson, Okposo).  I'm talking 26 year old with his best years in front of him.

Yeah, we hear this every year...and still another year of no playoffs

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Tondas said:

Mine is still the Bruins.  Three Words: Brad Friggin' Park.  It will always be Too Soon.

I remember that goal.  It is etched forever in my memory.  Which is really something since today will be like every other day in that by lunch time I will not remember what I had for breakfast.

I hear you, brother.  

For me the Flyers and Bruins are tied in the most dastardly table.

Edited by New Scotland (NS)
the only things that I hate more than losing to these guys are the big ones ... war and injustice

We can debate the physical or not approach all season.  I for one think we need more players who finish their checks and can knock opposing players off the puck and create turnovers.  I would also like to see our D-men use their bodies more to keep the front of our net clear for our goalies.

I could be wrong, but most of us who advocate more grit and toughness are saying it's about adding 2 or 3 players of that style, not an entire roster turnover.  I don't think it is unreasonable to believe that adding more hitting will help create opportunities for our finesse skill guys.

Perhaps we can all see how the Leafs fare in the playoffs.  Highly skilled, but softer team as well....will that style work in the playoffs or will another team shut them down.  TBD.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

7 hours ago, North Buffalo said:

Sabres need forwards that can hit, D hits enough... forwards do too many drive bys including Eichel... OK and Girgs are the only forwards that actually hit and that is the problem... Sam has been using his body more, and Mitts seems to be working at it, but Eichel, Skinns, Sheary and Erod are too small to be effective.  Sabres need at least two guys that can be physical... use their body.  Watch Vegas, watch Tampa, watch Boston they all hit... and most of the top teams have guys who will be physical.

Jack is 6’2” and 208lb.  He is not small.  Once he has the puck he protects it like the best in the league.  His physical play has improved this year.  He was playing hard last night.  Jack is not our problem.

• Like (+1) 4

8 hours ago, SDS said:

Racking up hits means you spend a long time not having the puck.  Kinda hard to score / win when you're constantly chasing the other team around.  

Just now, Sabel79 said:

Racking up hits means you spend a long time not having the puck.  Kinda hard to score / win when you're constantly chasing the other team around.  

not always... finishing checks on forecheck loosens it up for second guy in, hockey 101

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Sabel79 said:

This is false, as I said up-thread, 5 of the 6 top hitters in the league are on playoff teams, the top two are on Vegas. This just shows that when the other team has the puck, which is going too happen a lot during a game, checking that player off the puck to re-gain possession is a pretty good tool to have at your disposal. The Sabres don't do this and just swing their purses while opposing players blow right by them. 

Edited by Claude Balls
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Berg said:

I think we have better players,  but Flyers played better tonight. I don't know why

Totally agree. I do believe there is more talent here than is credited for. I still maintain its Phil and whatever system he tries to use. No more patience with him, he can go. I could be wrong, but I know we will find out one way or another.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Carmel Corn said:

We can debate the physical or not approach all season.  I for one think we need more players who finish their checks and can knock opposing players off the puck and create turnovers.  I would also like to see our D-men use their bodies more to keep the front of our net clear for our goalies.

I could be wrong, but most of us who advocate more grit and toughness are saying it's about adding 2 or 3 players of that style, not an entire roster turnover.  I don't think it is unreasonable to believe that adding more hitting will help create opportunities for our finesse skill guys.

Perhaps we can all see how the Leafs fare in the playoffs.  Highly skilled, but softer team as well....will that style work in the playoffs or will another team shut them down.  TBD.

As good as the Leafs are, I believe their lack of physicality is their biggest weakness, especially come playoff time. Babcock will be under fire this season to get them past the second round. If they fail again, he will be on the hot seat. Washington and Boston stand in their way and I believe the physicality of both those teams will be hard for Toronto to get past. Offensively, the Leaf roster is loaded, but when the checking gets tighter come playoff time, their space to create gets taken away.

1 hour ago, North Buffalo said:

Jack is fine carrying the puck, forecheck he is pantywaist.  My special needs 12 year old could get away from Jack.

Sad, but true. Totally agree.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.