GDT: Sabres @ Flyers 26 February 2018, 7PM on NBCS

#freejame

4 minutes ago, eman said:

As good as the Leafs are, I believe their lack of physicality is their biggest weakness, especially come playoff time. Babcock will be under fire this season to get them past the second round. If they fail again, he will be on the hot seat. Washington and Boston stand in their way and I believe the physicality of both those teams will be hard for Toronto to get past. Offensively, the Leaf roster is loaded, but when the checking gets tighter come playoff time, their space to create gets taken away.

Sad, but true. Totally agree.

Only hope Stamkos use to play this way and though not a hitter, he grew up and is much better in forecheck.

51 minutes ago, Claude Balls said:

This is false, as I said up-thread, 5 of the 6 top hitters in the league are on playoff teams, the top two are on Vegas. This just shows that when the other team has the puck, which is going too happen a lot during a game, checking that player off the puck to gain re-possession is a pretty good tool to have at your disposal. The Sabres don't do this and just swing their purses while opposing players blow right by them. 

It’s absolutely not false.  By very definition, in order to register a hit the other team has to have the puck.  We just place a different value on the particular stat.  

Is there a need to hit guys to take them off the puck?  Absolutely.  Do the Sabres as a team do a good enough job of it?  Nope.   Looking at hits in a vacuum isn’t the whole story though.  How do the rest of the numbers look on Carrier and Reaves?  

2 hours ago, SABRES 0311 said:

Not gonna lie I want more fights. Cue the analysis about fighting in today’s game.

I want more checking and hockey. Thankfully the days of Ray,Peters and the like are behind us. If fans want to see fights that's another sport.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

I was a little frustrated yesterday... I had to work late and didn't get to turn the game on until just before the Mitts goal.  I planned to start the game from the beginning and watch it on delay, but since it was on NBCSN and not CI I didn't have that option.

I went back and looked at Eichel's goal- a thing of beauty and possibly he needs to do something like that on the shootout:  Pull up short, take half a second to size up the goalie and laser it by him.  Is Eichel still using a shorter stick?  If so I think he's finally getting accustomed to it, his last few shots for goals have been impressive- seems like every one is off the inside of the post and in.

The Mitts goal was good too, but I wonder whether he isn't someone that would benefit by playing some wing.  ERod is at least as effective at center as Mitts is, and being able to play a simpler game might help Casey further develop.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Sabel79 said:

It’s absolutely not false.  By very definition, in order to register a hit the other team has to have the puck.  We just place a different value on the particular stat.  

Is there a need to hit guys to take them off the puck?  Absolutely.  Do the Sabres as a team do a good enough job of it?  Nope.   Looking at hits in a vacuum isn’t the whole story though.  How do the rest of the numbers look on Carrier and Reaves?  

Carrier and Reaves aren't there to light up the scoreboard, I think everyone knows this. Especially opposing players who need to have their heads on a swivel when those guys are on the ice. I'm just saying having guys that are willing to do the dirty work can be just as beneficial as having guys that can score 30+ goals per year. The Sabres desperately need more points guys, but could also use a couple guys like Carrier (oh wait) and Reaves. If Tom Wilson could clean up the occassional dirty hits, he would be a player every team would want. Gonna have 20+ goals and over 100 PIM this season after missing the first 20 games no less. Evander Kane is gonna have 30+ goals and lead the league in PIM this season. So yes, physical play can work. I could mention Brad Marchant as well, but I hate that little d-bag.

Edited by Claude Balls

5 hours ago, Radar said:

I want more checking and hockey. Thankfully the days of Ray,Peters and the like are behind us. If fans want to see fights that's another sport.

For the life of me, I will never understand "hockey fans" who don't like fighting, hitting, and exciting, physical play.  That type of play always adds, it does not detract.  It catapults what can be an exciting game to an even higher, emotionally charged level. 

Even now, when a big scrum breaks out (typically in the playoffs) the building it occurs in (any in the league) will be totally energized to the maximum with 99.9% of the fans going nuts.

I guess guys like "RADAR" and maybe 4 others in an 18,000 seat venue are the 5 weirdos sitting on their hands, aghast at the violence.  LOL.  

Why don't you consider following girl's synchronized swimming?  It will be much easier for your delicate heart to take in.

9 minutes ago, Kruppstahl said:

For the life of me, I will never understand "hockey fans" who don't like fighting, hitting, and exciting, physical play.  That type of play always adds, it does not detract.  It catapults what can be an exciting game to an even higher, emotionally charged level. 

Even now, when a big scrum breaks out (typically in the playoffs) the building it occurs in (any in the league) will be totally energized to the maximum with 99.9% of the fans going nuts.

I guess guys like "RADAR" and maybe 4 others in an 18,000 seat venue are the 5 weirdos sitting on their hands, aghast at the violence.  LOL.  

Why don't you consider following girl's synchronized swimming?  It will be much easier for your delicate heart to take in.

Posts like this must make daughters proud.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Kruppstahl said:

Boy, you sure are being hard on this old boy. For the record I'm not against an occasional fight. I'm against what the league became in recent times when Tie and Ray came out for staged entertainment.  Teams kept guys in the league for just that. I like the physical side of the game as well but I honestly think some fans came to see fights like some race fans wanting a crash. While Housley was not a physical type defenseman last I knew he was a Hall member. Guys like Schoenfeld were good hockey players as was Orr and many others I could name and were tough as well.

• Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, Kruppstahl said:

It's unfortunate that you can't understand that people like different things from you.  It's worse that you can't accept it and instead have to insult others because of it.

People get really excited when cars wreck in NASCAR, right until they realize someone was seriously injured. People love big hits in football, until their favorite player doesn't get up.

Too many people take pleasure in the pain suffered by others.  I think the easiest way to explain things is this.  It's hockey, not boxing. If i wanted to watch guys punch each other, I'd watch boxing. Presumably that's why they created the sport.  Fights break out here and there, they do in every major sport, and that's fine. But staged fighting and a predominance of fighting in a game should not exist.

Hitting and physical play are part of hockey.  I've no problem with Dahlin getting clocked. But, I'm not looking for a team full of people who just go around and try to hit people either. It's a losing strategy because skilled players will generally move the puck before they can get hit. It's hockey, it has components of skating, passing, shooting... I think to see those too.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Kruppstahl said:

CTE did it for me.  If you want to watch guys permanently disable themselves for your entertainment, that's fine.  But there is no need to judge me for not being entertained by that anymore.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thanks (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Kruppstahl said:

Stay classy. 

On 2/27/2019 at 4:00 PM, LTS said:

It's unfortunate that you can't understand that people like different things from you.  It's worse that you can't accept it and instead have to insult others because of it.

People get really excited when cars wreck in NASCAR, right until they realize someone was seriously injured. People love big hits in football, until their favorite player doesn't get up.

Too many people take pleasure in the pain suffered by others.  I think the easiest way to explain things is this.  It's hockey, not boxing. If i wanted to watch guys punch each other, I'd watch boxing. Presumably that's why they created the sport.  Fights break out here and there, they do in every major sport, and that's fine. But staged fighting and a predominance of fighting in a game should not exist.

Hitting and physical play are part of hockey.  I've no problem with Dahlin getting clocked. But, I'm not looking for a team full of people who just go around and try to hit people either. It's a losing strategy because skilled players will generally move the puck before they can get hit. It's hockey, it has components of skating, passing, shooting... I think to see those too.

Fighting is as much a part of hockey as a goalie's face mask or a slap shot, and in fact, predates both.

Why is it that like ALL of the .00000001% of hockey fans who dislike tough, physical play, post at message forums like this?

Definitely a connection there.

1 minute ago, Kruppstahl said:

Fighting is as much a part of hockey as a goalie's face mask or a slap shot, and in fact, predates both.

Why is it that like ALL of the .00000001% of hockey fans who dislike tough, physical play, post at message forums like this?

Not a single person that has posted regarding this subject dislikes tough, physical play.  We just don't get a jimmie over two guys bashing their heads in anymore.

12 hours ago, Kruppstahl said:

Enjoy your one-sided conversation. You've clearly refused to read what others have said.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.