Buffalo Bills 2019-2020

WildCard

Just now, That Aud Smell said:

mGe140.gif

Show it in slow mo. shoulder to chest.

And helmet to helmet wasn't even a penalty then.

I think its hilarious the even the Bills players said that if they did it they would be kicked out of the game, but when we say it, we're hysterical homer fans.

9 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Ha - right. Keep looking at the less accurate of the available angles to draw the conclusion you prefer. 

Anyway, apparently Brady referenced this 2001 hit when asked about what happened to Allen:

mGe140.gif

All fair points. It's the day after. Recency bias and such.

So, Brady justifies no ejection on the play due to a hit that occurred about 7 years before the complete bubble wrapping of QB's occurred after his knee injury against KC and roughly 16 years prior to the league deciding it wanted to eliminate head shots?  Alrighty then.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, SwampD said:

Show it in slow mo. shoulder to chest.

And helmet to helmet wasn't even a penalty then.

I think its hilarious the even the Bills players said that if they did it they would be kicked out of the game, but when we say it, we're hysterical homer fans.

I'm not looking to compare the two hits - just adding something to the conversation. And I'd forgotten about that hit - wowza.

I'm not sure who's calling you an hysterical homer - not me, anyway. I definitely think people who are seeing an ejection there are biased. Which is fine. That's a fan's prerogative.

Just now, Taro T said:

So, Brady justifies no ejection on the play due to a hit that occurred about 7 years before the complete bubble wrapping of QB's occurred after his knee injury against KC and roughly 16 years prior to the league deciding it wanted to eliminate head shots?  Alrighty then.

No idea of the context. I just saw on Twitter that someone posted a clip of the hit relative to something Brady said.

Brady's quote:

"My career started when Drew (Bledsoe) got hit on the sideline. Drew was running for a first down and those defensive players are very fast and very physical. Actually, I had a play like that early in my career in Buffalo where I was scrambling up the right side and tried to hold on to the ball and tried to slide late. A guy hit me and my helmet flew about 10 yards away. It kind of riled up their whole sideline.

"I'll never forget this. The next day coach Belichick said to me, 'Hey Brady, if you want to have a career in this league, when you're running like that, you’re either going to throw the ball away or slide.' A lot of quarterbacks who do run and try to make yards and that’s great, but at the same time you are susceptible to big hits. Whether it’s flagged or not, or whether it's a penalty, a lot of the rules have changed over the years, but from a quarterback standpoint I feel like it’s always best to try to be available to the team and take the risk reward (for those plays) and so forth. …

"Again, nobody likes to see anyone get hurt out there. But from my own experience, I try to do the best I can to avoid taking any big shots I can."

12 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

I'm not looking to compare the two hits - just adding something to the conversation. And I'd forgotten about that hit - wowza.

I'm not sure who's calling you an hysterical homer - not me, anyway. I definitely think people who are seeing an ejection there are biased. Which is fine. That's a fan's prerogative.

No idea of the context. I just saw on Twitter that someone posted a clip of the hit relative to something Brady said.

Brady's quote:

"My career started when Drew (Bledsoe) got hit on the sideline. Drew was running for a first down and those defensive players are very fast and very physical. Actually, I had a play like that early in my career in Buffalo where I was scrambling up the right side and tried to hold on to the ball and tried to slide late. A guy hit me and my helmet flew about 10 yards away. It kind of riled up their whole sideline.

"I'll never forget this. The next day coach Belichick said to me, 'Hey Brady, if you want to have a career in this league, when you're running like that, you’re either going to throw the ball away or slide.' A lot of quarterbacks who do run and try to make yards and that’s great, but at the same time you are susceptible to big hits. Whether it’s flagged or not, or whether it's a penalty, a lot of the rules have changed over the years, but from a quarterback standpoint I feel like it’s always best to try to be available to the team and take the risk reward (for those plays) and so forth. …

"Again, nobody likes to see anyone get hurt out there. But from my own experience, I try to do the best I can to avoid taking any big shots I can."

Allen would do well to heed Brady's advice, and the Bills would do well to make GD sure that Allen understands that he needs to do so.  Scrambling is fine, but when he gets into traffic he needs to slide, not put his head down and try to bull in for the first down. 

For that matter, I didn't like the coaches exposing him to a big shot on the QB sneak for the TD -- he caught a big shot on that one too.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Allen would do well to heed Brady's advice, and the Bills would do well to make GD sure that Allen understands that he needs to do so.  Scrambling is fine, but when he gets into traffic he needs to slide, not put his head down and try to bull in for the first down. 

For that matter, I didn't like the coaches exposing him to a big shot on the QB sneak for the TD -- he caught a big shot on that one too.

Having a big run game as a part of a QB's arsenal is simply not sustainable.  And the QB is the most important part of the team.

If Allen is OK and plays against Tennessee, I think we have a really good chance to win the game.  If he can't go, we probably lose the game, or at least have a really tough fight on our hands.  Shows the difference the QB makes.

One of Allen's best assets is his running, but that's not really a good thing.  It's just not sustainable. 

It is much better if he can read a defense and smartly deliver the ball with timing and accuracy.  Those are the things he struggles with.  You can see why I am down on him, and always have been.

^

I saw a Tweet this morning that showed that, absent his running heroics (which are really quite something, but, as stated, unsustainable), Allen is just about the same QB as EJ Manuel was at the same point in his career.

Again, if he weren't so charming and on-brand, I don't think #BillsMafia would be so high on him. I remain ambivalent, but still hopeful.

• Like (+1) 2

33 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

^

I saw a Tweet this morning that showed that, absent his running heroics (which are really quite something, but, as stated, unsustainable), Allen is just about the same QB as EJ Manuel was at the same point in his career.

Again, if he weren't so charming and on-brand, I don't think #BillsMafia would be so high on him. I remain ambivalent, but still hopeful.

I think this is a little too simplistic. 

If stats are distributed the same way at the meta level, that doesn't mean games play out the same way. 

Allen has one of the top few QBRs in the 4th quarter in his last so many games, stretching back into last season, and as a result has 4-5 game winning drives/fourth quarter comebacks. That kind of stuff leaves a better impression during an 8-6 stretch of football than EJ's more uniform, unspectacular game results. 

Poll the fans after EJ's second career game and thrilling last second victory, or during the 2-0 start the following year that also included a fourth quarter comeback, and it's far different from what the opinions of EJ were by the time he threw the London game against the Jags in the trash when we needed it to salvage the season. 

I think fan bases (and large groups of humans in general) can simultaneously be overrated and underrated in intelligence/common sense

For as much love as Allen got by the end of week 3, there is no Bills draft pick that had a larger, louder crowd in agony over the pick, and so Allen will always have a bigger chance to spontaneously combust in the fan's eyes after a couple of bad performances. I'd even liken some fans' general tenors to licking their chops, eagerly awaiting it.

Edited by Randall Flagg
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Sakman said:

Josh Allen is stubborn and willful, but definitely not an idiot. He deserves through the end of 2020 to prove he's a franchise QB. I think he is. Lamar Jackson's Wonderlic score....wow...

7 minutes ago, Kruppstahl said:

Having a big run game as a part of a QB's arsenal is simply not sustainable.  And the QB is the most important part of the team.

If Allen is OK and plays against Tennessee, I think we have a really good chance to win the game.  If he can't go, we probably lose the game, or at least have a really tough fight on our hands.  Shows the difference the QB makes.

One of Allen's best assets is his running, but that's not really a good thing.  It's just not sustainable. 

It is much better if he can read a defense and smartly deliver the ball with timing and accuracy.  Those are the things he struggles with.  You can see why I am down on him, and always have been.

I agree with most of this, but I think before the Pats game he had shown substantial improvement in the key qualities you mention in the bolded.  The Pats game was certainly a step back, but their D makes pretty much every opposing QB look bad.

5 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I agree with most of this, but I think before the Pats game he had shown substantial improvement in the key qualities you mention in the bolded.  The Pats game was certainly a step back, but their D makes pretty much every opposing QB look bad.

Even within the Pats game, the drive coming out of the fourth quarter was just like the drives in the previous three games themselves. McDermott said it himself - Josh wasn't applying what he had learned, then he did coming out of the half, and then he got away from it again. 

The reason he got away from it was that Bill was too smart for him, and the moment was too big for him. 

7 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Even within the Pats game, the drive coming out of the fourth quarter was just like the drives in the previous three games themselves. McDermott said it himself - Josh wasn't applying what he had learned, then he did coming out of the half, and then he got away from it again. 

The reason he got away from it was that Bill was too smart for him, and the moment was too big for him. 

This is fair.  After he got knocked out, though, I think the Bills had 3 or 4 offensive possessions that Barkley wasn't able to do anything with -- and I sure would've liked to have seen whether Allen could've rallied the way he did vs the Jets and Bengals.

Just now, nfreeman said:

This is fair.  After he got knocked out, though, I think the Bills had 3 or 4 offensive possessions that Barkley wasn't able to do anything with -- and I sure would've liked to have seen whether Allen could've rallied the way he did vs the Jets and Bengals.

I would have too, and we were moving when he got hit, weren't we? 

15 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

There was some discussion about this post game, I don't remember where, but while they were saying it about Allen, the people participating in the discussion gave credit to the Bills for screwing up Brady's flow, too.

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

It was Carson Palmer's injury in a playoff game against the Steelers that caused it, not Brady's injury.

I can't believe how hypocritical Shopp and Bulldog (and anyone else, really) are on the Josh Allen hit to the head. If that play happened in a hockey game, they would be all over it.

He ***** better get fined or I am done with football.

I feel like I'm listening to a rape case where they are blaming the girl for getting raped.