Buffalo Bills 2019-2020

WildCard

5 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Wuh? Even that angle shows him looking right at Jish and targeting his head. WTF are you looking at?!

We're looking at the same thing, and seeing it differently. Without even knowing the ejection standards (I just ... don't know them), I don't see that hit as the sort of egregious, flagrant foul that gets players ejected. The DB is trying to keep Allen from getting a 1st down. He sets his feet, braces for impact, and absorbs a hit that is coming at him. He doesn't launch himself at Allen. It is the QB that is initiating the (head to head) contact there.

5 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Dan says it all.

He is terrible at his job, btw.

Edited by That Aud Smell

14 minutes ago, Taro T said:

IMHO, he's still really raw and is still learning how to process the game.  He had 2 bad quarters to start the season and another 2 bad quarters yesterday.

In the other 2 games he had 3 very good quarters and 1 meh one in each.

He clearly felt the pressure of playing the Cheatriots yesterday.  If he can't learn to treat the big games like just another game, you'll be right and he won't 'get it.' Still not ready to write him off yet though.

And, am still kind of miffed about the grounding call he got against the Bungles, because it seemed the ball went past the line of scrimmage though well out of bounds.  Since that call, he's only thrown the ball away once when in that running 20 yards backwards to avoid the rush, throw it off balanced situation.  If he'd send those out of bounds like he's supposed to, he'd look a lot better.  And he was doing that earlier this year.  Have Danilo drill that back into his head and he could be alright.

It's been a long time since the Bills had a guy who could consistently throw for 200+ every game.  (And had he played the entire 4th, that streak would've continued.)  And should he figure out how to play well for 4 quarters rather than 3, consistent 300+ days should become the norm.

A game.  Yes.  More than that ...

I also might add that the replays showed quite often that our receivers were blanketed. Gotta give some credit for Allen's problems to the Pats D-backs  and pressure from their line(as much as I hate that idea).

• Like (+1) 2

My goodness, the guy put up a stinker against the best defensive coaching mind in history.... and now everybody wants him gone.

Every QB has games like this.   Let's see how he bounces back before anointing him the next EJ Manuel.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

My goodness, the guy put up a stinker against the best defensive coaching mind in history.... and now everybody wants him gone.

Every QB has games like this.   Let's see how he bounces back before anointing him the next EJ Manuel.

He did the same thing in the first game against the jets.

Also this is hyperbole. No one is saying get rid of him. They are saying that there are several warning signs that Allen might not cut it in the long run unless he cleans it up. 

There is a play that Allen makes in the 2nd half. It's 3rd and 5 or something and instead of taking the easy toss to Beasley for 7-8 yards he tries to go over the top down the sideline to I think Zay Jones and it is incomplete. That's a play that Allen can't ***** up like that. That's the things that worry me. 

4 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

Not everyone.  In fact, I think the Bills would have won had he been able to stay in the game.

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

It would be 3 seasons and I know they won't. They should though. If you don't make it after 3 seasons as QB, you aren't making it. 

3 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Also this is hyperbole. No one is saying get rid of him. They are saying that there are several warning signs that Allen might not cut it in the long run unless he cleans it up. 

No one?

5 minutes ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

No one?

Read what I said. The full context not what you just did.

32 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I have never trusted Allen as a starting QB. If I were the Bills and I would start evaluating the 2021 class. That gives Allen 2 full seasons to figure it out. 

30 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

It would be 3 seasons and I know they won't. They should though. If you don't make it after 3 seasons as QB, you aren't making it. 

10 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

There is a play that Allen makes in the 2nd half. It's 3rd and 5 or something and instead of taking the easy toss to Beasley for 7-8 yards he tries to go over the top down the sideline to I think Zay Jones and it is incomplete. That's a play that Allen can't ***** up like that. That's the things that worry me. 

As you can see, I am clearly saying that if Allen does not figure it out in the next 2 years they should move on. Keyword being 'if'

Now show me where I say "the Bills should get rid of Allen" 

Edited by LGR4GM

3 minutes ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

I did. You said "i know they won't". "they should though". You obviously say they should. The only question is whether you think they should now or in 3yrs.

They should be evaluating the 2021 QB class in case Josh Allen does not pan out. If Allen does not pan out. IF. 

That is a far departure from "get rid of him". 

Edited by LGR4GM

5 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

They should be evaluating the 2021 QB class in case Josh Allen does not pan out. If Allen does not pan out. IF. 

That is a far departure from "get rid of him". 

I understand what you are saying, but I would hope that this will be a wake up call. "You are young, competitive, and with potential......but you are not indestructible." 

I'm sure the Bills will draft a QB or eventually obtain one that will be an insurance policy just in case. His improvements over last year (however slight that may be) give more hope that concern. As a fan, I'm just glad to see someone being able to excite me with some effort and a "i want to win no matter what" attitude.

Both Allen and Barkley were downright spooked by what Bill was showing them. You could tell they had no idea where to go after the snap. 

There's a reason Bill has now beaten QBs in their first two seasons eighteen straight times. 

That doesn't take away from the fact that Allen had his worst game since before the injury last year, and maybe ever. It happened. The question now is how he looks when he comes back. He's made the evaluation process over the next year or so quite simple - either he can develop and fix his decision-making, or he can't, and his career here will follow the answer to that question.

43 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

We're looking at the same thing, and seeing it differently. Without even knowing the ejection standards (I just ... don't know them), I don't see that hit as the sort of egregious, flagrant foul that gets players ejected. The DB is trying to keep Allen from getting a 1st down. He sets his feet, braces for impact, and absorbs a hit that is coming at him. He doesn't launch himself at Allen. It is the QB that is initiating the (head to head) contact there.

He is terrible at his job, btw.

I'll keep looking at this angle to make my judgement. He lunges at his head. No other way to see it.

59 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

Spooked and held on to the ball too long instead of doing what Brady did which was dumping it out of bounds.  Brady looked just as frustrated... but didnt make many mistakes.

He should have been called for grounding at least twice.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

I'm really not sure Josh Allen is the answer. He knows how to be part of a solid brand, sure. And he talks about being smarter with the ball, taking what's there, and not playing hero ball. But then he laces 'em up, and goes out there and chucks the ball around like it just doesn't matter. I'd like to think that he's a smart, coach-able young player. But on what basis would I believe that?

I think that's a harsh assessment.  He had three games against nothingburger teams, then he gets thrown up against one of the better defenses in the league and he blinked.  Guess what?  Same thing happened to Brady.  The only difference is that the Bills didn't get a TD off special teams.  Guess what else?  The Saints did the same thing to Dak Prescott yesterday as well. 

One of the things that made Kelly great (and Favre greater) was an ability to improvise, keep the play going, and make something out of nothing.  QBs that do that are prone to make mistakes sometimes.  Lord knows Kelly and Favre made their share.  With what NE threw at Allen yesterday, he did a creditable job, except for when he tried to force the ball long.  Definitely a teachable moment.

Hard to say how his career arc will play out, but I didn't see anything yesterday that makes me feel he isn't "the guy."  He is still a young QB, and faced a withering defense.  Cut him a break.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SwampD said:

I'll keep looking at this angle to make my judgement. He lunges at his head. No other way to see it.

Ha - right. Keep looking at the less accurate of the available angles to draw the conclusion you prefer. 

Anyway, apparently Brady referenced this 2001 hit when asked about what happened to Allen:

mGe140.gif

17 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

I think that's a harsh assessment. 

All fair points. It's the day after. Recency bias and such.

Edited by That Aud Smell