GDT: Buffalo Sabres @ Edmonton Oilers. 14 January 2019 @ 9:00 PM EST on MSG.

SABRES 0311

21 minutes ago, darksabre said:

I really haven't pushed much for Ullmark to start this year but I think he's looked good enough the last month to earn more work. I'm disappointed Phil doesn't seem to see it this way.

Only thing I can think of is *puts on tin foil hat* that the team is trying to artificially control his games played/stats to make a case that he only established himself as a starter next year when his RFA contract is up. Lowers his long term contract and gives the team a better case if it goes to arbitration.

Other than that I got nothin'

2 minutes ago, Samson's Flow said:

Only thing I can think of is *puts on tin foil hat* that the team is trying to artificially control his games played/stats to make a case that he only established himself as a starter next year when his RFA contract is up. Lowers his long term contract and gives the team a better case if it goes to arbitration.

I suspect it's more of a situation where the goalies are on a set schedule and Phil isn't deviating from it. 

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Samson's Flow said:

Or they are hoping Hutton gets taken away by Seattle.

The load has to be spread. Both goalies have strengths and weaknesses, good games and bad games.  The real point is that the team shouldn't be dependent on the goalie to steal games where the Sabres are outplayed; the rest of the team has to do it's part and play well enough to win, and assume the goalie is competent.  You can't expect a goalie to stand on his head game in, game out.

7 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

What do the ratings in the lineups mean?

That website assigns an overall rating to players based on their judgment (much like those in say an EA Sports video game) and then ranks the players league wide, by position, accordingly. Beside each line, in a team's lineup, they also have a ranking for where, by their evaluation system, that line ranks in the context of, say, other 1st lines, or what have you.

I have searched their site for a breakdown of how they put together their player rankings, the criteria, but have not been able to find it. 

Edited by Thorny

Sorry but Hutton in net is not a strange or bad move unless Ullmark does not play against Calgary, the tougher team. If we want to even hope for the playoffs we need to come out of this western trip with a winning record. Will be interesting to see if we can handle these teams with big bodies. I'm not sure we can. 

1 hour ago, darksabre said:

I really haven't pushed much for Ullmark to start this year but I think he's looked good enough the last month to earn more work. I'm disappointed Phil doesn't seem to see it this way.

This. If the team doesn't want to/can't make moves to improve the team for this season, they should at least be trying to catch lightning in a bottle again as they did with the streak, to perhaps ignite their playoff chances. Give Ullmark a chance to go on a run. Maybe he catches fire. He's been the better goalie, it's worth a shot.

Give the players a chance to believe they have something intangible on their side, again. 

---

As for tonight, it's a one line team versus a one line team. If Jack's pointless streak extends to 5 games, I don't like our chances unless Skinner is even more Skinner-esque than usual, or we get some unexpected bounces from the bottom 9. 

Edited by Thorny

19 minutes ago, Thorny said:

That website assigns an overall rating to players based on their judgment (much like those in say an EA Sports video game) and then ranks the players league wide, by position, accordingly. Beside each line, in a team's lineup, they also have a ranking for where, by their evaluation system, that line ranks in the context of, say, other 1st lines, or what have you.

I have searched their site for a breakdown of how they put together their player rankings, the criteria, but have not been able to find it. 

Thanks. I move to strike this nonsense from future GDTs. It's useless.

• Like (+1) 1

Sutton needs to have a complete game without a WTF goal; they aren’t always his fault, but they are the difference between his play over the past month and his play earlier in the year.

Ullmark is slowly grabbing the wheel - started 3 of the past five games - but he did let in five goals in 30 shots last game. Carter stopped more than 94 % in the three games prior to the Canes game.

I have a feeling this game is going to be won or lost on the production of our first line.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Sutton needs to have a complete game without a WTF goal; they aren’t always his fault, but they are the difference between his play over the past month and his play earlier in the year.

Ullmark is slowly grabbing the wheel - started 3 of the past five games - but he did let in five goals in 30 shots last game. Carter stopped more than 94 % in the three games prior to the Canes game.

I have a feeling this game is going to be won or lost on the production of our first line.

Aren't they all?

?

46 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Is Ken Sutton back with the team now?

Soooo tonight is the night, the epic showdown between Jack Ankle, and Connor McClavicle..... Two budding superstars with bones made of brillo. 

There are reports that Zach Bogosian was getting upset that his bunker title is slowly being forgotten about. 

It's also true that Phil Housley has attempted and failed with both player usage and the Rogaine experiment. 

Let's see what we got tonight, I wanna see a team jacked up on real Tim Hortons (not that watered down American stuff) 

• Haha (+1) 1

Talked with my "SUPER SECRET NOT ON TWITTER SOURCE", She says "The Legend of Skinner WILL Grow Tonight".

I am overly concerned at what I've started, my 14 yr old daughter has a HUGE crush on Skinner, and she said that to mom and me just after dinner tonight...………….I love Skinner and all, but I'll break legs...……….IF...………...he doesn't wait 4 yrs until she's 18 and marries her ?

7 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

Talked with my "SUPER SECRET NOT ON TWITTER SOURCE", She says "The Legend of Skinner WILL Grow Tonight".

I am overly concerned at what I've started, my 14 yr old daughter has a HUGE crush on Skinner, and she said that to mom and me just after dinner tonight...………….I love Skinner and all, but I'll break legs...……….IF...………...he doesn't wait 4 yrs until she's 18 and marries her ?

So you should be pulling for a 10 year 12 mill per contract then......

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.