Camp Opens September 13th

WildCard

On 8/30/2018 at 6:48 PM, Randall Flagg said:

After tonight, we have the longest remaining stretch of no-Buffalo-sports until at least early April, lasting 9 days, and containing a holiday weekend. 

Then it's on.

Starting September 16 there is a stretch of 8 days with 6 games between the bills and Sabres - that Sunday the Chargers come to town, sabres play preseason games Monday Tuesday Friday Saturday, and then the bills finish the stretch.

And Bills bye-week is after the NHL season starts ?

Since the young prospects all played well, Thompson, Nylander, Oloffson, Asplund etc etc.  Where does that leave guys like Fasching, Bailey, and Baptiste when TC starts?  Are they on very short leashes at this point?  Are they destined to stay in the AHL?  are any of them even good enough to be thrown in to a trade?

Fasching was traded for defensive prospect Brandon Hickey.

Baptiste and Bailey will be battling with the players you name, as well as lesser vets like Wilson and Larsson for roster spots. They have some value (young, fast and cheap) around the league, but not much and are approaching last chance status.

We have a logjam up front, and if a kid forces his way on to the roster someone will have to traded or waived.

3 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Fasching was traded for defensive prospect Brandon Hickey.

Baptiste and Bailey will be battling with the players you name, as well as lesser vets like Wilson and Larsson for roster spots. They have some value (young, fast and cheap) around the league, but not much and are approaching last chance status.

We have a logjam up front, and if a kid forces his way on to the roster someone will have to traded or waived.

good call, completely forgot about that trade.

I agree, they are likely on their last chance and will need to have one heckuva TC.

Edited by Marions Piazza

I don’t think the Sabres are giving up on Baptiste and Bailey; on the contrary, their skill sets are very well-suited to the forechecking game Housley wants his wingers to play.

Last year was about retraining them to use those skills the way Housley wants them to. They will be judged this camp on how well they learned.

1 hour ago, Doohickie said:

Yep.  And on a larger scale, last season was an 82-game training camp.

If we see the Sabres looking anything like last year's team I'll be disappointed.

It shouldn't have been.    The talent was there, Housley did nothing with it.

3 hours ago, dudacek said:

I don’t think the Sabres are giving up on Baptiste and Bailey; on the contrary, their skill sets are very well-suited to the forechecking game Housley wants his wingers to play.

Last year was about retraining them to use those skills the way Housley wants them to. They will be judged this camp on how well they learned.

I expect one or both of Baptiste and Bailey to make the team, and not just because of their waiver status.   I'm expecting big things from Bailey this season, I think he will surprise some folks here.  

3 hours ago, Hoss said:

Yea, I’d be concerned with management for sure.

I think they'd be wise to wait one more season then name Dahlin captain to start 2019-20.

IMO Dahlin has better traits to be captain than Eichel.   That said, if they name Eichel captain now, there's no way Dahlin will ever get the C even tho he may be more worthy.

8 hours ago, pi2000 said:

I think they'd be wise to wait one more season then name Dahlin captain to start 2019-20.

IMO Dahlin has better traits to be captain than Eichel.   That said, if they name Eichel captain now, there's no way Dahlin will ever get the C even tho he may be more worthy.

I have seen nothing to indicate Dahlin is more of a captain than Eichel. I have seen plenty to indicate Eichel is captain material.

It’s wild we have someone so good (Dahlin) that’s generating a ton of disrespect and forgetfulness about Eichel. Glad we have the talent but Eichel is still superb.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Hoss said:

I have seen nothing to indicate Dahlin is more of a captain than Eichel. I have seen plenty to indicate Eichel is captain material.

It’s wild we have someone so good (Dahlin) that’s generating a ton of disrespect and forgetfulness about Eichel. Glad we have the talent but Eichel is still superb.

It's a bit of uncharted territory with Eichel.  He's pretty much always been one of the young guys on any team.  It'll be interesting to see how he grows into that veteran leadership role.

3 hours ago, Hoss said:

Playing devil's advocate:  the Sabres have gotten much worse during Eichel's time here -- a time when he has been their best player.  That doesn't seem to indicate leadership.

And while Eichel has a ton of potential, I think Dahlin will be the better player -- maybe even by the end of this season.

1 minute ago, nfreeman said:

Playing devil's advocate:  the Sabres have gotten much worse during Eichel's time here -- a time when he has been their best player.  That doesn't seem to indicate leadership.

And while Eichel has a ton of potential, I think Dahlin will be the better player -- maybe even by the end of this season.

That's like blaming a manager for not getting more out of the CEO's pot smoking kid he was forced to take onto his team.  Eichel doesn't pick the players he gets to play with. If he can turn crap into gold he might want to set up shop in a cow pasture.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

They got worse than finishing last?

5 minutes ago, Hoss said:

They got worse than finishing last?

Well, they declined substantially from his 1st year to his 2nd, and from his 2nd to his 3rd.  The hockey stick graph is hockey sticking the wrong way.

25 minutes ago, LTS said:

That's like blaming a manager for not getting more out of the CEO's pot smoking kid he was forced to take onto his team.  Eichel doesn't pick the players he gets to play with. If he can turn crap into gold he might want to set up shop in a cow pasture.

The Sabres are a Tesla?

Seriously:  your point is fair.  But if the question is Eichel or Dahlin, there is a reasonable position that Dahlin might be the better choice, partially because Eichel hasn't earned it.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.