Skinner is our Kessel

WildCard

1 hour ago, GoPre said:

I'll second that.  Skinner had to agree to this trade due to a NMC, right?  That's gotta be an sign he'd have interests in re-signing w/ the Sabres.  If Buffalo has a good season showing they're vey close to good times, he'll stay in town.  May cost a pretty penny though... And it'd be worth it.  

He must really like the area (isnt it close to where he is from?) Or he has a fetish for rebuilding teams, cause otherwise theres no reason to wave your NMC to come to Buffalo for only a year with the current roster, if all goes better then planned at best they might be in the playoff hunt with Skinner, but more likely they will just be better then last season. Most guys waive NMCs to go to teams that are cup contenders, be closer to home, or for a chance to get better ice time.

As for Kessel, does Skinner like hotdogs?

Edited by apuszczalowski

Reasons I started this thread:

Kessel and Skinner, both scoring. sniping wingers. Similar skill sets

Both were expected to carry their teams as such, with poor centers. Both went somewhere where they weren't the focal point, with much, much better centers. We saw how that worked with Kessel.

Kessel to Pittsburgh, Botteril from Pittsburgh, Skinner to Buffalo. Pretty sure Botteril remembers how well Kessel worked/is working in Pittsburgh, and tried to replicate it

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Both were expected to carry their teams as such, with poor centers. Both went somewhere where they weren't the focal point, with much, much better centers. We saw how that worked with Kessel.

Kessel to Pittsburgh, Botteril from Pittsburgh, Skinner to Buffalo. Pretty sure Botteril remembers how well Kessel worked/is working in Pittsburgh, and tried to replicate it

This is a good take.  

I think for Skinner it's not so much he may intend to sign with Buffalo and that's it, I think he is testing the waters here and at the same time looking at Buffalo as a way to improve his stats for his next contract.  If it works out here, then awesome, he has a new home.  If he doesn't like it here, he still puts in the effort to leverage Eichel to pad his stats and moves on.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, That Aud Smell said:

Do fans actually run players out of town? Honest question.

I think they wear on a players passion for the game.

Getting booed or cat called on your home ice makes your *game* not as much fun.

So going to a new  and better situation is looked favorably upon by the player, to the extreme end where he demands a trade.

So, yes, I do believe it happens.

3 hours ago, hockeyhound said:

Great move. IMO Skinner has always been a Sabres killer. I dreaded seeing that guy get the puck on his stick, especially when games were tight. The guy can battle, his back hand shot is deadly, and he's good in the shootout.  I'm sure glad he's a Sabre now.

Let's Go Buffalo!

My exact impression too.

5 hours ago, Sabre fan said:

he'll either be gone at the trade deadline or next summer...high price to pay for a rental

The fact that he only has one year of term left is exactly the reason we got him as cheaply as we did. 

If he becomes a mainstay and extends, this is a huge win.  If he he doesn't sign, JBot will cash him in for picks/prospects at the trade deadline.  This is a ridiculously good deal for the Sabres.

10 minutes ago, woods-racer said:

I think they wear on a players passion for the game.

Getting booed or cat called on your home ice makes your *game* not as much fun.

So going to a new  and better situation is looked favorably upon by the player, to the extreme end where he demands a trade.

So, yes, I do believe it happens.

Ok, Ryan's mom.  ?

Just kidding in case this lame small emoji can't make that obvious.

• Haha (+1) 2

2 hours ago, apuszczalowski said:

Most guys waive NMCs to go to teams that (1) are cup contenders, (2) be closer to home, or (3) for a chance to get better ice time.

The Sabres check boxes 2 and 3 for Skinner, who's from Toronto.  If he signs long term, it's because the thinks (1) is also in the cards in the foreseeable future.  But even without that, he's at the very least looking to parlay finishing for Jack or Mitts into a good paycheck in 2019 with... someone.

This trade is a stepping stone for Skinner.  The next step could be with the Sabres too though.

2 hours ago, ... said:

This is a good take.  

I think for Skinner it's not so much he may intend to sign with Buffalo and that's it, I think he is testing the waters here and at the same time looking at Buffalo as a way to improve his stats for his next contract.  If it works out here, then awesome, he has a new home.  If he doesn't like it here, he still puts in the effort to leverage Eichel to pad his stats and moves on.

Yep, that's a good way to put it.  And JBot has a similar opportunity.  I see three outcomes:

1. Skinner signs an extension this fall because the deal was predicated on him extending and he indicated he was open to that (not sure how likely this is).

2. Skinner if a flop and we drop him at the end of the season (very unlikely in my eyes).

3. Skinner has a very good, not great, year and JBot signs him to an extension that makes Skinner happy while preserving cap space for other signings.

4. Skinner has a fantastic year and goes to another team through a deadline trade or free agency because JBot determines he's not willing to pay Skinner what someone else will (see also:  Evander Kane trade).

1 and 3 are the desired outcomes in my mind.  2 is kind of okay because at least we're not saddled with a long term contract... it's an experiment and the Sabres move on.  3 is kind of okay because we get production out of him for a year and cash him in for some good pieces at the deadline.

This is a very low risk-high reward situation for the Sabres.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

The Sabres check boxes 2 and 3 for Skinner, who's from Toronto.  If he signs long term, it's because the thinks (1) is also in the cards in the foreseeable future.  But even without that, he's at the very least looking to parlay finishing for Jack or Mitts into a good paycheck in 2019 with... someone.

This trade is a stepping stone for Skinner.  The next step could be with the Sabres too though.

I disagree with 3, only because Middelstat has shown and proven nothing in the NHL yet and Eichel hasnt proven to make players substantially better by playing with him. That's not saying they cant or wont, but they have actually shown they can. Originally what I meant by 3 is that a player will go somewhere because on their current team they are stuck on a lower line or get less ice time because they ate blocked, but on another team they have a clearer shot at playing on a higher line with better minutes. I dont see that the case with Skinner because he was already getting good ice time and playing at the top in Carolina.

I think this may be more about #2 and getting to play as close to home as possible (knowing that Toronto is out on him since they wont be able to fit him under the cap with their young players and Tavares)

48 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Yep, that's a good way to put it.  And JBot has a similar opportunity.  I see three outcomes:

1. Skinner signs an extension this fall because the deal was predicated on him extending and he indicated he was open to that (not sure how likely this is).

2. Skinner if a flop and we drop him at the end of the season (very unlikely in my eyes).

3. Skinner has a very good, not great, year and JBot signs him to an extension that makes Skinner happy while preserving cap space for other signings.

4. Skinner has a fantastic year and goes to another team through a deadline trade or free agency because JBot determines he's not willing to pay Skinner what someone else will (see also:  Evander Kane trade).

1 and 3 are the desired outcomes in my mind.  2 is kind of okay because at least we're not saddled with a long term contract... it's an experiment and the Sabres move on.  3 is kind of okay because we get production out of him for a year and cash him in for some good pieces at the deadline.

This is a very low risk-high reward situation for the Sabres.

I cant see this ending without the Sabres having him signed long term or him being moved before the deadline to a contender. I feel that they made this move because it cost them very little and if they cant get him extended, they can recoup assets at the deadline for him. Someone will pay for him at the deadline even if he isnt playing well before because of his past numbers (and will write off his bad play as just being on a bad team) and they can recoup a couple of the assets. But I strongly believe they didnt make the move without intending to keep him around long term. Although he isnt sweedish so who knows?

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

The media was heavily involved as well, most prominently Steve (literally the worst) Simmons and his hot dog campaign.  When it’s so silly your sister gets asked at a press conference (wholly unrelated to anything you’re doing) about ####### hot dogs, maybe a #### you guys attitude is understandable.   

27 minutes ago, Sabel79 said:

The media was heavily involved as well, most prominently Steve (literally the worst) Simmons and his hot dog campaign.  When it’s so silly your sister gets asked at a press conference (wholly unrelated to anything you’re doing) about ####### hot dogs, maybe a #### you guys attitude is understandable.   

Sorry, I don't follow.

3 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

If the majority of the fan base has soured on a player, there should be something obvious in his performance that management can see as well.

I can see the players getting sick of the boos and wanting out as well.

11 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Sorry, I don't follow.

9 minutes ago, Weave said:

I think he is referring to the genesis of the Kessel-hot dog meme.  I don't really know the story, but I'm assuming this is what he is referring to.

Correct.  When you have nonsense like the whole “Phil Kessel eats hot dogs constantly and is fat and lazy” trope being perpetuated by (in this case one specific and particularly odious member of) the local media, and it’s Toronto, I bet that gets old.  

18 minutes ago, French Collection said:

If the majority of the fan base has soured on a player, there should be something obvious in his performance that management can see as well.

Which is why I posited causation/correlation.

14 minutes ago, Sabel79 said:

Correct.  When you have nonsense like the whole “Phil Kessel eats hot dogs constantly and is fat and lazy” trope being perpetuated by (in this case one specific and particularly odious member of) the local media, and it’s Toronto, I bet that gets old.  

Gotcha. Yeah - I can definitely see certain fan bases being part of what drives a guy out of town.

6 hours ago, twosoakers said:

Great pic up and have money to resign next year when Pominville rolls off. Still feels like we need another experienced real NHL player on this roster

Welcome and great username/avatar!

4 hours ago, WildCard said:

Good stuff.  I'd also add that both have high-end speed.

And a Kessel-in-Pittsburgh outcome would be awesome.

5 hours ago, Weave said:

Ok, Ryan's mom.  ?

Just kidding in case this lame small emoji can't make that obvious.

He is the poster child of it isn't he?

You didn't even need the emoji!

If a comment like that was ever the worst part of my day my life is just outstanding.

Serious question: How many hot dogs can Skinner fit in his mouth?

I can't believe some people don't like this trade. Can they not imagine Skinner on Eichels wing, banging home one-timers. Someone with the skill set to connect on Jack's passes? I know it's hard to remember that hockey is entertainment and can be entertaining. This is going to be so much fun to watch a legit winger with Eichel. I would not be as excited to see Cliff Pu skating with Eichel.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.