Training camp battle: top six wingers

dudacek

Top six wingers  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you expect to be the wingers on the first two lines in the early weeks of this season?

• Justin Bailey
    • Nick Baptiste
    • Patrik Berglund
    • Alex Nylander
    • Kyle Okposo
    • Victor Olofsson
    • Jason Pominville
    • Sam Reinhart
    • Evan Rodrigues
    • Connor Sheary
    • CJ Smith
    • Tage Thompson
  2. 2. Who do you want to emerge by the end of the year as the wingers on the top two lines?

• Justin Bailey
    • Nick Baptiste
    • Patrik Berglund
    • Alex Nylander
    • Kyle Okposo
    • Victor Olofsson
    • Jason Pominville
    • Sam Reinhart
    • Evan Rodrigues
    • Connor Sheary
    • CJ Smith
    • Tage Thompson

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

So Berglund, a C/LW is going to play right wing. On the top line. After scoring a whopping 26pts last year while Kyle Okposo is doing what?  

Okposo and Reinhart are the top 2 line RW to start the year, unless Thompson comes into camp and blows them away. The left side is where the major questions are. 

Well, Berglund had 17 goals in 57 games last year, while KO had 15 in 76 and looked terrible most of the season.

I'm far from married to Berglund, and I'd love to see KO reassert himself as one of the top 2 RWs, but I don't see how anyone could be confident that it will happen. 

After watching some Sobotka highlights I think he could be one of those guys that could surprise us for a couple of years with some good point totals.  He has played on some top lines with Tarasenko, Oshi and Statsny.  Also some sick moves from Thompson on this first Sobotka tip.

So I am thinking Jack gets Sheary and either KO or Thompson.  After looking at the options I am thinking the 2nd and 3 line may be close to interchangeable depend on experience needed v goal scoring. Call them 2A and 2B. Casey center with Sam and Tage or KO then third line of Berglund, Vodka and either Ollofson or Nylander.  Have Bailey, Baptiste and Girgenson at center for checking energy line.  Trade larry or put him in the stands. Darn keep forgetting about Erod and Wilson.. Hmmm so put Erod with Berglund and if KO or Tage need to a step back let them flip keep Olloffson and Nylander down and make them first call up.  Bailey meh but with his speed 4th line and if he ever figures out speed agility combo and timing.  Finally.... not top end but talent starting to push these guys.  If Ollofson or Nylander light it up in the A..., Sabres may have some good trade bait for a right handed D.  Then again... could end up being a bunch of JAGs because Buffalo.  Just not sure. Better then before when there was no depth.

7 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Soon after that deal, I glommed onto the thought (from a Blues blogger?) that Thompson could do with some more seasoning in the A.

What are the chances that he starts in Roch?

If Bailey has made the adjustments that Housley wanted, Thompson might start in the AHL.  But right now, I think Thompson does more of what Housley wants than Bailey does and is a better player than Baptiste.

11 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

So I am thinking Jack gets Sheary and either KO or Thompson.  After looking at the options I am thinking the 2nd and 3 line may be close to interchangeable depend on experience needed v goal scoring. Call them 2A and 2B. Casey center with Sam and Tage or KO then third line of Berglund, Vodka and either Ollofson or Nylander.  Have Bailey, Baptiste and Girgenson at center for checking energy line.  Trade larry or put him in the stands. Darn keep forgetting about Erod and Wilson.. Hmmm so put Erod with Berglund and if KO or Tage need to a step back let them flip keep Olloffson and Nylander down and make them first call up.  Bailey meh but with his speed 4th line and if he ever figures out speed agility combo and timing.  Finally.... not top end but talent starting to push these guys.  If Ollofson or Nylander light it up in the A..., Sabres may have some good trade bait for a right handed D.  Then again... could end up being a bunch of JAGs because Buffalo.  Just not sure. Better then before when there was no depth.

Olofsson. https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/86308/victor-olofsson 

That said, I don't see Olofsson in the NHL this year much and I don't think Nylander is ready yet. Next year though, that might be where we see the real push from them. 

15 hours ago, nfreeman said:

Well, Berglund had 17 goals in 57 games last year, while KO had 15 in 76 and looked terrible most of the season.

I'm far from married to Berglund, and I'd love to see KO reassert himself as one of the top 2 RWs, but I don't see how anyone could be confident that it will happen. 

Did you watch Berglund last season? Do you know if he looked terrible? 

13 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Soon after that deal, I glommed onto the thought (from a Blues blogger?) that Thompson could do with some more seasoning in the A.

What are the chances that he starts in Roch?

May not be the worst in the world... put ERod with Jack, move Baptiste in with Berglund and Vodka and Wilson with Girgenson with Wilson and Bailey and if Tage, Nylander or Ollofson impress put one of them with Berglund and sit Vodka or anyone else not performing.

Honestly, I am hoping Olofsson is ready sooner than later.  I want someone to come in and blow the water out of the boring top six forwards.  Though Sheary gives the group at least a more nuanced approach.  

I voted:  Reinhart, Sheary, Okposo, Rodrigues for regular top six. With possibly Sobotka being a likely tip as well. 

I voted:  Olofsson, Smith for guys I hope blow the doors off and surprise.  

I want nothing of Pominville, Girgensons in the top 6 ever again. 

20 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

Why not Berglund at center third line?

I would imagine that is his natural designation if we're lining things up on paper.  At this point I believe in trying Sam Reinhart at center again as much as I believe Bogosian can reignite his draft status and be a top 2 defensemen.  I just DON'T want to see them waste more time when Sam does what he does well.  Off the wall passing, creativity on the wing and the ability to score around the net.  

It’s interesting that Sobotka had his second highest point total ever last year yet was almost universally panned by Blues watchers.

The player I remember before he went to the KHL was a very useful 3rd liner. Versatile, decently skilled and a real pain in the ass to play against. But when he came back, the edge to his game apparently didn’t come back with him. They say he was no longer willing to pay the price and looked more like a declining 2nd line vet into collecting points and his paycheque.

I’ve questioned the idea that he is simply expensive roster filler - a negative-value cap dump that the Sabres had to take to in order to close the O’Reilly deal; can he really be worse than Larsson and Girgensons, let alone Josefson and Pouliot?

But I do think the above is far more likely than him playing a useful role in our top six. His best season ever is 33 points.

I really want to see what these new guys have and hear what Housley has planned for them.

Edited by dudacek

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Did you watch Berglund last season? Do you know if he looked terrible? 

I certainly didn’t watch him enough to develop any kind of informed opinion. But I’ve seen plenty of KO, and JBott did trade for Berglund. 

36 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I certainly didn’t watch him enough to develop any kind of informed opinion. But I’ve seen plenty of KO, and JBott did trade for Berglund. 

And yet I still don't think a career C/LW is going to suddenly take Kyle Okposo's spot. He traded for Berglund not to replace or upgrade KO but to attempt to stem the issues surrounding ROR departure. He wanted nhl bodies back and so Berglund was one of them. 

Just now, nfreeman said:

#1 RW ain’t “KO’s spot.”  KO was dropped to the 4th line on more than 1 occasion last season.  

Again, KO might return to form, but that’s just a hope at this point.  

And it sure as hell isn't Berglund's spot either. I would argue it is Reinhart's unless they move him to center. 

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

And it sure as hell isn't Berglund's spot either. I would argue it is Reinhart's unless they move him to center. 

I think Reinhart starts next to Jack too, unless Middlestadt looks terrible in pre-season action and they have to move Sam to 2C.  I find this an unlikely scenario.

I'm most curious about how E-Rod and T2 perform in camp.  They both can play their off-wing, which helps us on the left side, but they bring two different skill sets.  For me this is the biggest competition to watch because I expect the winner will play on Middlestadt's left side on the 2nd line.  

Edited by SHAAAUGHT!!!

Sheary--Eichel--Reinhart                      #1 Scoring Line

ERod---CaseyM--Thompson               #2 A lotta growing up to do

Sobotka--Berglund--Okposo               #3 100 point 3rd line  

Wilson--Larsson---Pommerville         #4 Awaiting trade deadline and young guys

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.